Nicks & Cuts in tires

Old July 24th 05, 06:43 PM
caaron

Default Nicks & Cuts in tires

I'm riding on a set of Michelin Axial Pro tires that I just love, not only
because they handle well but because they seem to resist flats. Over the
past few years they have been cut or nicked in a bunch of places along the
tire surface, but it hasn't affected handling or their ability to hold air.
Periodically I fill in these cuts or nicks with Goop, which road wear evens
out nicely as I continue riding on them.

My question is this: How do I know when it is time to replace these tires
or when it is no longer safe to ride on them? I ride on the road and
highway shoulders, where there is a lot of junk that can cause flats, but
these tires have proven themselves better than anything I've ever used
(including the kevlar lined tires which seemed to flat at least twice a
week). I've only had one or two flats in the last three years of riding on
them...

Any suggestions/information would be appreciated.

Chuck

Old July 24th 05, 08:28 PM
Ken

"caaron" wrote in
news
My question is this: How do I know when it is time to replace these
tires or when it is no longer safe to ride on them?

If the rubber is worn down to the tire cords or a pucture is bad enough to cut
the cords, then you should toss the tire. If the tire starts to deteriorate
due to dry rot or sun damage, then toss it. Other than that, keep riding it.
Old July 24th 05, 09:29 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:43:05 -0400, "caaron"
wrote:

My question is this: How do I know when it is time to replace these tires
or when it is no longer safe to ride on them? I ride on the road and
highway shoulders, where there is a lot of junk that can cause flats, but
these tires have proven themselves better than anything I've ever used
(including the kevlar lined tires which seemed to flat at least twice a
week). I've only had one or two flats in the last three years of riding on
them...

My opinion only:

If the cord plies are not cut or exposed, they are still structurally
sound enough to ride.

I would encourage greater caution with the front tire, however, since
a flat there at speed can make the bike very difficult to control.

It's been stated here often that the new tire belongs on the front.
One logical corrollary is that if your tires are worn to the point
where you are concerned about their safety, it may be a good time to
replace the front tire precautionarily.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 25th 05, 01:40 AM
caaron

Thanks for the info. The cuts are mostly surface cuts, and the cords are
not exposed and none have cut the cord plies so I guess I'll keep riding on
them...

Thanks again.

Chuck

Old July 25th 05, 06:17 AM
A Muzi

caaron wrote:

[...]

Tires are fabric and must only contain your tube so in
theory you can use them until the fabric is rent or lumpy.

In practice, lots of miles leave your tread flat across the
center which is slower and, being thinner, more flat prone.

I have ridden tires until the tread wore through to the
casing below but only rarely - something usually cuts or
bruises the casing long before it wears out.

Try a Michelin Carbon next time- more durable than a Pro
Race and only a little heavier.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org