Riding glasses secret revealed

Old August 6th 05, 06:10 AM
Michael Press

Default Riding glasses secret revealed

In article ,
Fritz wrote:

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:45:44 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

calculus wrote : What's wrong with polarized lenses?

For one thing, and it's a big one for me, when I wear my polarized
sunglasses it makes the computer screen readout turn totally black. So, I
can stop and lift the sunglasses and read the screen, but I can't just tilt
my head and look down at it while riding.

Pat in TX

I wear polarized sunglasses (perscription) and I can read my computer
just fine. Must be the construction of you computer screen that gives
you the problem, huh?

I will reply here to reply to the entire thread.
Liquid Crystal Displays work this way:

The long molecules of the liquid typically are not
correlated with each other over macroscopic distances.

When and electric field is applied the become correlated,
similarly to the way a crystal is correlated over long
distance.

The correlation is that the long molecules are aligned
parallel to one another along their long axes.

The aligned macroscopic area of the liquid absorb and
reemit light all alike. They reemit more light in a
particular polarization.

The window over the LCD display is a polarization filter.

The polarization axis of the display window is cross ways
to the polarized light of the electrically aligned
molecules of the liquid.
Hence the aligned areas of the display appear black.

If the polarization axis of the sunglasses and the display
are cross ways, the entire display appears black.

--
Michael Press
Old August 6th 05, 06:21 PM
JJ

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article ,
Fritz wrote:

[...]

Exactly, two cross polarized surfaces block out all light.

The solution is to unclip the computer and take in with you when shopping
for polarized glasses. Or be sure to take your polarized glasses with you
when shopping for a computer.

Old August 7th 05, 04:36 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:12:47 -0400, "Doug Huffman"
wrote:

Even expensively priced cheap sunglasses cause headaches. Cheap sunglasses
are cheap sunglasses.

Cheap sunglasses that don't cause headaches for a given rider are a
good value. Expensive sunglasses that cause headaches for a given
rider are a very poor value. Examples of both result have been seen.

The key is to get sunglasses that work *for you*. What works for you
is not a predictor of what will work for others, nor is it a predictor
of what will *not* work.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 7th 05, 04:37 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:09:14 -0500, calculus calculus wrote:

I prefer a welding mask. It keeps bugs from hitting my face. Can
YOUR glasses do that?

Doesn't that interfere with spitting out your chewing tobacco?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 11th 05, 01:57 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:43:21 -0400, "Splat" spamthis wrote:
Pat wrote:
Dunno. I use RayBan polarized sunglasses and a Vetta RT88 computer
and when I look at it, the display is affected by the polarization.
shrug

This is interesting. You got a anti-glare add-on screen on the monitor?

All LCD screens output polarised light. Has to do with the way they work.
Looking through a set of polaroids at any LCD ought to show the effect,
especially with the glasses near the screen instead of near your eyes.

Jasper.

Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia? Dom Recumbent Biking 4 November 30th 04 05:58 AM
Riding in the rain with glasses - ideas? slugbath Unicycling 14 November 25th 04 03:08 AM
riding the whole Hudson River Ken Roberts Rides 33 October 25th 04 08:48 PM
Distance riding Rockey Unicycling 3 March 18th 04 05:25 AM
MUni riding – Eastern Kentucky - weekend of April 23-25 billham Unicycling 5 January 26th 04 03:45 AM