GPS Recommendations

Old August 9th 05, 10:21 PM
peter

Default GPS Recommendations

Would the new Garmin Quest be too big and cumbersome
for biking and outdoor use?

No, it's actually quite small - much smaller than it appears to be in
the Garmin picture.

My main concern with the Quest and Quest2 is that they have an internal
(non-userserviceable) Lithium ion cell. That can be a problem when
bike touring or backpacking away from electric outlets. I also expect
that the cell will degrade over time and eventually need replacing.

Old August 10th 05, 01:51 AM

"peter" wrote:

My main concern with the Quest and Quest2 is that they have an internal
(non-userserviceable) Lithium ion cell. That can be a problem when
bike touring or backpacking away from electric outlets. I also expect
that the cell will degrade over time and eventually need replacing.

Wow I didn't know that!!

So this cell can not be replaced by the user then?

If yes... that eliminates the Quest for me right there

John
Old August 11th 05, 05:34 AM
Eric

Depending on the thickness of the battery, you can use a strip of an
old innertube, spacers for lights/cyclometers/etc, or electrical tape.
I've used all three with different capicity NiMH batteries. The
electrical tape works great on the latest, Energizer 2500mAh AAs.