TACX trainer - new or old bike?

Old September 18th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neale

Default TACX trainer - new or old bike?

I have more or less stopped using my TACX trainer 'cos its such a bore
swapping my bike on and off it depending on the light and/or weather. I have
decided to invest in a basic bike that only needs to be good enough for
indoor use.

I am undecided whether to spend £150 odd quid on some horrid Halfords "super
racing bike" or to trawl ebay until I find an old but serviceable "proper"
road bike that's big enough for my long legs.

Ideas?

Old September 18th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Neale wrote:
I have more or less stopped using my TACX trainer 'cos its such a bore
swapping my bike on and off it depending on the light and/or weather. I have
decided to invest in a basic bike that only needs to be good enough for
indoor use.

I am undecided whether to spend £150 odd quid on some horrid Halfords "super
racing bike" or to trawl ebay until I find an old but serviceable "proper"
road bike that's big enough for my long legs.

Ideas?

Find an old fixie.. No need to worry about brakes or front wheel
quality.

...d

Old September 18th 06, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Neale wrote on 18/09/2006 08:44 +0100:
I have more or less stopped using my TACX trainer 'cos its such a bore
swapping my bike on and off it depending on the light and/or weather. I have
decided to invest in a basic bike that only needs to be good enough for
indoor use.

I am undecided whether to spend £150 odd quid on some horrid Halfords "super
racing bike" or to trawl ebay until I find an old but serviceable "proper"
road bike that's big enough for my long legs.

Old bike definitely and spend some money on a comfy saddle instead. You
could even use a bike that has been frame or fork damaged. I recently
(York Rally) got two very nice bikes that are eminently road rideable,
with far better gear than a Halfrauds cheapie, for £60 the pair.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 18th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex

Neale wrote:
I have more or less stopped using my TACX trainer 'cos its such a bore
swapping my bike on and off it depending on the light and/or weather. I have
decided to invest in a basic bike that only needs to be good enough for
indoor use.

I am undecided whether to spend £150 odd quid on some horrid Halfords "super
racing bike" or to trawl ebay until I find an old but serviceable "proper"
road bike that's big enough for my long legs.

Ideas?

Where did I see it....ah yes. Complete overkill but how about..

A Dave Yates custom turbo trainer frame?

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/ima...ry/turbosi.JPG
http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/ima...ry/turbofr.JPG

75 quid if you supply your own frame.

-Alex

Old September 18th 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Neale wrote:
I have more or less stopped using my TACX trainer 'cos its such a bore
swapping my bike on and off it depending on the light and/or weather. I have
decided to invest in a basic bike that only needs to be good enough for
indoor use.

I am undecided whether to spend £150 odd quid on some horrid Halfords "super
racing bike" or to trawl ebay until I find an old but serviceable "proper"
road bike that's big enough for my long legs.

Ideas?

Get some rollers instead of the turbo trainer.
Old September 18th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon levy

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
Neale wrote:
I have more or less stopped using my TACX trainer 'cos its such a bore
swapping my bike on and off it depending on the light and/or weather. I
have
decided to invest in a basic bike that only needs to be good enough for
indoor use.

I am undecided whether to spend £150 odd quid on some horrid Halfords
"super
racing bike" or to trawl ebay until I find an old but serviceable "proper"
road bike that's big enough for my long legs.

Ideas?

Get some rollers instead of the turbo trainer.

Save your money and get out and ride :-)