RR: AMB-ID 04 Some More Pictures from the weekend

Old August 6th 04, 12:11 AM
Paladin

Default RR: AMB-ID 04 Some More Pictures from the weekend

Friday afternoon I arrive at the cabin with Jim & Carla. Alex is there
early, snoozing in his pickup. To think he took me literally when I said
we'd be there by 3pm. When will you ever learn, Officer? So we unload,
open up the cabin, take dibs on the beds, and then run down to jump in the
lake. Ahhh, that feels good. We're up to our necks, treading water,
looking around grinning. Troops start to arrive, so we pretty much break
up into 2 groups. Adam takes the boat out for a while, then later I went
in the ski-boat with some guys and younger girls. Most of the rest of the
crew abused themselves with a ride up to Osprey Point. I warned everyone
"in writing" that it was a stout climb. Did they believe me? Nooooooo. Do
they now? heeheh.

Duck Lake to 20-Mile Creek was the Saturday epic of choice for this year.
By now you've seen lots of pictures, but I don't think anyone took pictures
of the lake. The trail started out steep and technical, climbed for a mile
or so up to Duck Lake, then another mile up to another, smaller lake, before
pretty much levelling off. This was fairly tough riding, given the elevation
and the difficulty of the terrain. Penny took the first biff, followed by
me soon after. A souvenir on my elbow keeps me grinning. Once the spell
was broken by shedding first blood, riders fell as needed.

I had described this to the group as a party ride. We stopped a lot, re-rode
sections, spotted each other, walked a couple dicey parts. Just took our
time and had a lot of fun. The scenery really was breathtaking, and I live
around here. Deep greens, dark blue sky, ghostly gray spectre trees from a
fire 9yrs ago, bright yellow and purple flowers, it was really amazing. I
can still close my eyes and see the trail. The best 12 miles I've ever
ridden.

Here's a couple fun spots: There was this nasty uphill switchback and I had
just come off sweep and was hustling to catch up. Found 3-4 riders standing
around, when NY Jim says, "you can do it! go for it!" So rather than stop
to chew the fat, I dug deep and danged if I didn't make the corner, just out
of being cheered on to make it happen.

Another really lousy spot was a downhill switchback that turned into a rocky
creekbed about 3feet wide and very steep & gnarly, near the top on the
downside, where I come around, find Adam parked, and so I stop. Adam and
I had ridden most of this whole route as an out and back last year, and I
remembered this section as the scariest of all. Along comes Lorae, the
go-girl of the group, and I yell at Adam to spot her down the switch. He
takes position, and so do I, and we're their to catch her or give her a
friendly boost, but O we of little faith, that tri-athlete pedals the
miserable switch like she's riding the sidewalk!

Another cool highlight was at a break before it gets really gnarly on the
downhill, Steve groups us up and says a prayer thanking God for this
beautiful nature and asking for his protection on the rest of the ride. I
finish it up with a prayer for both of our missing regulars, and they know
who they are and what I was praying about. We missed you both and wish you
the best.

The creek stop was really fun, as by then it was getting hot, what with our
trademark late start, and lots of stops.

About a third into the 10 mile descent after climbing past both lakes, I
finally hit my groove. I was hypnotized, is this heaven? and it all seemed
like slow motion. Hitting the line, rolling the rocks, bunny hopping when
there was speed, hanging on for dear life when I didn't know what else to
do. It was all good.

At one point I was following Penny and we got into this conversation, that
just happened to occur at one of the more technical and dangerous sections.
We both cleaned it almost without thinking, and kept our conversation going.
I looked back and couldn't hardly believe it. Then I passed her and rocked
through this long challenging descent, thinking to myself, "this ain't art,
but I'm still up!" Too much fun.

As I remind the newcomers, this ain't a race or a showcase for how good you
are. This is about enjoying nature, some of the best riding in the world,
and having a memorable weekend with some really good folks. What more
could you want? Pictures? Well, OK, but I only took a few.

So enough of the overview, this is the internet age, ON WITH THE PICTURES!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40237

After Jim and Carla had a day to themselves in Boise, I met them for lunch
at an outside joint aptly called Bittercreek Alehouse. They walked past me
a couple times, and I must not have been noticing. I was looking
uncharacteristically clean-cut, but wearing a characteristically loud
Hawaiian shirt. After accosting every couple I saw that had colorful body
art and a "vertically challenged" female, we finally found each other. Jim
was blown away at how friendly everybody was. Wierd, huh? A 2hr lunch,
generous sampling of NW brews, then down to Ann Morrison Park on the river
to catch the shuttle bus to float the river.

The Boise River is still fairly cold, but that's OK, it's smack-ya-silly hot
out. Taking the raft through the occasional splash-ya-good rapids were a
great cool-off to the 100degf day. Carla was sitting down in the raft, it
was losing air, and the combination made her look pretty small down there.
At one point these black guys float by, look at her, and say to me, "Man,
does she have any legs?" I tell them not to make fun of her, her legs were
blown off in the war. They believe my deadpan delivery, apologize
sincerely, and paddle away. ;~D At the end of the trip, I pulled the bbq
stuff out of my truck, start setting up, when 3 of my women show up to help
us finish the meal. Steaks, salmon, salad, bread, and more Mirror Pond
Pale Ale.

As if that wasn't enough, I then drag those guys up on the mtn as the sun is
going down to do a ride. Carla's having trouble, and doesn't know if it's
the elevation, the barley drinks, the jet lag or what? Jim discovers
eventually that her back brake is on! A result of the transcontinental
baggage handlers, no doubt. So he has to disconnect it, and she does fine,
finishing the ride with front brake only.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40240

These are probably familiar and self-explanatory pictures. The first has
the father/son state downhill champs goofing around at a break we took at
these big rocks. Tyler hucked off the 4 footer a couple times with awesome
style and control. Penny rolled a cool section of this, too. Bike Camp has
paid off, girl.

GMan hucked off it, too, in the bottom picture, and snakebit his tire.
Steve daMachine & I are in one of these shots, where he's fixing his bike.
I came around a corner at one point, and saw Steve & GMan parked. Steve
looked dazed and GMan was laughing. GMan had kicked this big stick up in
the air that got itself stuck between Steve's fork and his wheel. We were
all booking it at about 18mph, so to have a stick instantly stop your front
wheel BAM, *you go over.* So Steve catapulted off into the deep grass.
Right about where we are working in the picture. He said time slowed down,
and he reminded himself to tuck and roll. He's running high-end Mavic
tubeless wheels, that were'nt damaged in the slightest.

The 4th picture has the Parrish clan getting ready, with Steve, his son
Tyler, and their good friend Ferrlee (sp?) a really strong girl going to
Amherst on a hockey scholarship.

The last picture, of course, should be titled "HISS" as the big ole GMan
nails the landing, but snakebites his tire.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40243

First up here is Gabrielle, who scared the wildlife away with her leopard
print jersey, and mondo body armor! You go girl! Her homemade merlot jerkey
was a big hit at our lunch break.

Next on the list is a very fun spot I call the "Mud Bog." Steve, Adam and
GMan were ahead of me. I come around a corner, and I look at the mud patch,
and think, wtf? I yell at them, very naive, "is this rideable?" "Yeah,
yeah, pedal hard, stay left, you can do it, etc.,!!" they're all shouting,
so I get about a third of the way through, sink almost up to my axle, and
then have to put a foot down. Yuck! That sticky mud also stank!. In the
picture is Lorae, who made it the farthest of anyone, then endoed, landing
up to her elbows in the muck.

Good laughs as each sucker came around the corner and flopped into the hog
wollow. I think it was Jim or Carla who wasn't suckered, and came out
perfectly clean.

Next shot was a fun break stop at the creek, where we all cooled off. It
was getting pretty hot by now, and that *cold* water felt mighty good.
Penny, Adam and GMan.

The next 2 are out of order, as Lorae stripped down to her swimsuit (Adam
was hoping it was her underwear--shame on you!) to cool off, and then dry
off. That picture will be on the cover of our new calendar, the babes of
AMB.

Toward the end of the trail, folks were running out of water. It was being
generously shared, germs be damned. By the time we hit the end of the
trail, some of us were plain out. 8 miles of road to go, and a stiff head
wind. Go at it real hard in gay roadie style. I draft Jim a while, then
Alex, then let him draft me. Some are really hurting. 3 maniacs pull way
ahead.

Finally pull into the take-out spot, and GMan's Heineken cooler is there. A
green bottle never looked so good. (Never underestimate boys and girls how
much your body needs to drink when exerting itself at altitude in the
summer.)

Then, in order to receive the Really Stoopid Medal to be awarded later, I
join Steve, GMan and Lorae for another 11 miles of mostly uphill riding with
the sun in my face. Halfway through this death march, my legs are trying to
cramp, Steve and GMan crash ahead in the shade to eat and do a rain dance,
begging for water. We've all run out of water at this point, with miles
to go before we sleep, ala Robert Frost. Lorae is still fresh & chipper,
so she breaks the brush and finds a pump handle at this cabin that has
water that never tasted sweeter. She fills our camelbaks, we remount, and
book it in, leaving nothing on the table.

Finally pull into the cabin area, drop the bike, start running, shed the
jersey, kick off the shoes, throw off the socks, by now I've cleared the
beach, hit the dock, GMan's beside me, we're running, don't even slow down
as we leap off into the air, soar like heavy birds, arc upwards, and --
SPLASH into the lake!

Paladin

Old August 6th 04, 02:41 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:11:33 -0600, "Paladin"
wrote:

Friday afternoon I arrive at the cabin with Jim & Carla. Alex is there
early, snoozing in his pickup. To think he took me literally when I said
we'd be there by 3pm. When will you ever learn, Officer? So we unload,
open up the cabin, take dibs on the beds, and then run down to jump in the
lake. Ahhh, that feels good. We're up to our necks, treading water,
looking around grinning. Troops start to arrive, so we pretty much break
up into 2 groups. Adam takes the boat out for a while, then later I went
in the ski-boat with some guys and younger girls. Most of the rest of the
crew abused themselves with a ride up to Osprey Point. I warned everyone
"in writing" that it was a stout climb. Did they believe me? Nooooooo. Do
they now? heeheh.

nice

Once the spell
was broken by shedding first blood, riders fell as needed.

nice

Deep greens, dark blue sky, ghostly gray spectre trees from a
fire 9yrs ago, bright yellow and purple flowers, it was really amazing. I
can still close my eyes and see the trail. The best 12 miles I've ever
ridden.

wow really nice

Another really lousy spot was a downhill switchback that turned into a rocky
creekbed about 3feet wide and very steep & gnarly, near the top on the
downside, where I come around, find Adam parked, and so I stop. Adam and
I had ridden most of this whole route as an out and back last year, and I
remembered this section as the scariest of all. Along comes Lorae, the
go-girl of the group, and I yell at Adam to spot her down the switch. He
takes position, and so do I, and we're their to catch her or give her a
friendly boost, but O we of little faith, that tri-athlete pedals the
miserable switch like she's riding the sidewalk!

a tri-athlete finding time for fun and x-training....never heard of
that before ;-)

At one point I was following Penny and we got into this conversation, that
just happened to occur at one of the more technical and dangerous sections.
We both cleaned it almost without thinking, and kept our conversation going.
I looked back and couldn't hardly believe it.

flow, nice.

As I remind the newcomers, this ain't a race or a showcase for how good you
are. This is about enjoying nature, some of the best riding in the world,
and having a memorable weekend with some really good folks. What more
could you want? Pictures? Well, OK, but I only took a few.

So enough of the overview, this is the internet age, ON WITH THE PICTURES!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40237

Nice tatoos! WTFITSS?

After Jim and Carla had a day to themselves in Boise, I met them for lunch
at an outside joint aptly called Bittercreek Alehouse. They walked past me
a couple times, and I must not have been noticing. I was looking
uncharacteristically clean-cut, but wearing a characteristically loud
Hawaiian shirt. After accosting every couple I saw that had colorful body
art and a "vertically challenged" female, we finally found each other. Jim
was blown away at how friendly everybody was.

Don't they have nice people in NY? ;-)

Jim discovers
eventually that her back brake is on! A result of the transcontinental
baggage handlers, no doubt. So he has to disconnect it, and she does fine,
finishing the ride with front brake only.

Now yer talkin!

[...]

That just ain't right I tell ya.....just ain't right.....nice

Next on the list is a very fun spot I call the "Mud Bog." Steve, Adam and
GMan were ahead of me. I come around a corner, and I look at the mud patch,
and think, wtf? I yell at them, very naive, "is this rideable?" "Yeah,
yeah, pedal hard, stay left, you can do it, etc.,!!" they're all shouting,
so I get about a third of the way through, sink almost up to my axle, and
then have to put a foot down. Yuck! That sticky mud also stank!. In the
picture is Lorae, who made it the farthest of anyone, then endoed, landing
up to her elbows in the muck.

Good laughs as each sucker came around the corner and flopped into the hog
wollow. I think it was Jim or Carla who wasn't suckered, and came out
perfectly clean.

fun stuff, life is good just reading this RR and checking out the
pics.

Then, in order to receive the Really Stoopid Medal to be awarded later, I
join Steve, GMan and Lorae for another 11 miles of mostly uphill riding with
the sun in my face. Halfway through this death march, my legs are trying to
cramp, Steve and GMan crash ahead in the shade to eat and do a rain dance,
begging for water. We've all run out of water at this point, with miles
to go before we sleep, ala Robert Frost.

.... the woods are lovely dark and deep... One of my favs. but its
cold and wintery in that poem. Cools me down just thinking about it.
Hope it helped your legs. Very nice to throw that in.

Finally pull into the cabin area, drop the bike, start running, shed the
jersey, kick off the shoes, throw off the socks, by now I've cleared the
beach, hit the dock, GMan's beside me, we're running, don't even slow down
as we leap off into the air, soar like heavy birds, arc upwards, and --
SPLASH into the lake!

Paladin

Absolutely phenomenal RR!

Peace,
Bill
Old August 6th 04, 04:20 AM
justen

Paladin wrote:
pretty much levelling off. This was fairly tough riding, given the elevation
and the difficulty of the terrain. Penny took the first biff, followed by
me soon after. A souvenir on my elbow keeps me grinning. Once the spell
was broken by shedding first blood, riders fell as needed.

The gods demanded much from mortals.

great cool-off to the 100degf day. Carla was sitting down in the raft, it
was losing air, and the combination made her look pretty small down there.
At one point these black guys float by, look at her, and say to me, "Man,
does she have any legs?" I tell them not to make fun of her, her legs were
blown off in the war. They believe my deadpan delivery, apologize
sincerely, and paddle away. ;~D

In that picture of the ape molesting the little girl behind the bike in
the workstand, if you removed Jim, Carla would look like she's 30 inches
tall. ;-)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40243
First up here is Gabrielle, who scared the wildlife away with her leopard
print jersey, and mondo body armor! You go girl!

Gabriel 2525! (for ref google cleopatra 2525)

then have to put a foot down. Yuck! That sticky mud also stank!. In the
picture is Lorae, who made it the farthest of anyone, then endoed, landing
up to her elbows in the muck.

I went through some of this mud a couple weeks back. Ack. I don't want
to think about the organic matter that was lending it such a pleasent
aroma. Hurrah for Lorae.

The next 2 are out of order, as Lorae stripped down to her swimsuit (Adam
was hoping it was her underwear--shame on you!) to cool off, and then dry
off. That picture will be on the cover of our new calendar, the babes of
AMB.

No pics of anybody trying to ride across the logs?

Finally pull into the cabin area, drop the bike, start running, shed the
jersey, kick off the shoes, throw off the socks, by now I've cleared the
beach, hit the dock, GMan's beside me, we're running, don't even slow down
as we leap off into the air, soar like heavy birds, arc upwards, and --
SPLASH into the lake!

All you needed was a barmaid to float refreshments in your general
direction.

Justen
Old August 6th 04, 05:02 AM
gabrielle

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:20:56 -0700, justen wrote:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40243
First up here is Gabrielle, who scared the wildlife away with her leopard
print jersey, and mondo body armor! You go girl!

Gabriel 2525! (for ref google cleopatra 2525)

Psst...hey...there is no Gabriel in that picture.

gabrielle (--note extra letters = female)
Old August 6th 04, 07:04 PM
Gman

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:02:14 -0700, gabrielle wrote:
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:20:56 -0700, justen wrote:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40243
First up here is Gabrielle, who scared the wildlife away with her leopard
print jersey, and mondo body armor! You go girl!

Gabriel 2525! (for ref google cleopatra 2525)

Psst...hey...there is no Gabriel in that picture.

gabrielle (--note extra letters = female)

Take it easy gabriel. =)

Old August 7th 04, 12:10 AM
Gman

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:11:33 -0600, Paladin wrote:

snip

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40240

snip

The last picture, of course, should be titled "HISS" as the big ole GMan
nails the landing, but snakebites his tire.

I was checking out this pic last night...it's a great shot!
U took it at *exactly* landing time. MY POOR BIKE! It
looks like it's gonna snap.

Gawd, the K2 needs a lighter jockey, or one with some skill.

As soon as I stopped I was making plans to try that hop
again to see if I could smooth it out a little, but I heard
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and knew that I'd better change the
tire and leave well enough alone.

Gman "the bike crusher"

PS - I'll use this photo as a resource the next time someone
tells me I should buy a Trek!
Old August 7th 04, 04:04 AM
Chris Brown

Gman Wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:11:33 -0600, Paladin wrote:

snip

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=40240

snip

The last picture, of course, should be titled "HISS" as the big ole

GMan
nails the landing, but snakebites his tire.

I was checking out this pic last night...it's a great shot!
U took it at *exactly* landing time. MY POOR BIKE! It
looks like it's gonna snap.

Gawd, the K2 needs a lighter jockey, or one with some skill.

As soon as I stopped I was making plans to try that hop
again to see if I could smooth it out a little, but I heard
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and knew that I'd better change the
tire and leave well enough alone.

Gman "the bike crusher"

PS - I'll use this photo as a resource the next time someone
tells me I should buy a Trek!

One of your past riding buddies with the SWISS shirts thought that
picture was the best, too, from over on MTBR/Idaho forum.

Alex has a great video of you doing the whole drop saved on his
website. I have a handful of his little videos saved to my desktop for
when work gets too boring, I can always daydream and remember...

I absolutely love his picture of me groovin down the trail. You can
see sunlight in the dust, the depth perspective is cool, colors good,
just a good shot.

paladin/cdb

--
Chris Brown

Old August 8th 04, 03:53 PM
Gman

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:04:28 +1000, Chris Brown wrote:

Alex has a great video of you doing the whole drop saved on his
website.

The video, then your pic of me squashing, then the pic of me
changing the tire will make a nice little sequence in my AMB
ID 04 compilation.

I absolutely love his picture of me groovin down the trail. You can
see sunlight in the dust, the depth perspective is cool, colors good,
just a good shot.

That is a great one!

I gotta get out and ride! Temps were mild yesterday...like
85 or so most of the day. I'm definitely getting out today.

Old August 11th 04, 12:12 AM
gabrielle

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:04:24 +0000, Gman wrote:

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:02:14 -0700, gabrielle wrote:
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:20:56 -0700, justen wrote:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...f173& t=40243
First up here is Gabrielle, who scared the wildlife away with her leopard
print jersey, and mondo body armor! You go girl!

Gabriel 2525! (for ref google cleopatra 2525)

Psst...hey...there is no Gabriel in that picture.

gabrielle (--note extra letters = female)

Take it easy gabriel. =)

Yeah, you say that while you're a safe distance away.

gabrielle