Riding glasses secret revealed

Old July 29th 05, 06:20 PM
Leo Lichtman

Default Riding glasses secret revealed

"Joseph Carling" wrote: (clip) But the best part is that if you pay over
thirty dollars for sunglasses, those will make you smarter!(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since I have a really long nose, I can wear two or three pairs of sunglasses
at once, which makes me REALLY smart. People tell me it makes me look
stupid, but how would they know? Most of them don't wear enough glasses to
think at my level.

Old July 29th 05, 11:50 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:18:50 -0400, Joseph Carling
wrote:

Sunglasses are to a large degree, along with eyeglass frames
(invariably overpriced many times beyond cost of manufacture), a
continual racket, one that sucks in many people.

The thing about frames for regular glasses is that the actual glass is
sold at cost or at a loss, and the frames are the real profit center.
Encouraged, of course, by the insurers who often pay for a larger
percentage of the optics than the frames.

I own a 40 euro pair of Specsavers brand sunglasses in my own strength,
and they work a lot better than a regular pair of sunglasses in which I'd
see approximately nothing.

Jaspe
Old July 30th 05, 12:50 AM
Joseph Carling

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:20:10 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Joseph Carling" wrote: (clip) But the best part is that if you pay over
thirty dollars for sunglasses, those will make you smarter!(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since I have a really long nose, I can wear two or three pairs of sunglasses
at once, which makes me REALLY smart. People tell me it makes me look
stupid, but how would they know? Most of them don't wear enough glasses to
think at my level.

Such peasants and mere feeble mortal minds cannot fathom the Divine
Wisdom. What could such primitive cortices possibly comprehend?
Philistines and barbarians operating on brain stem only.

BTW, for those of you old enough to remember, under the Cultural
Revolution (so-called) in China, under Chairman Mao's "reformation,"
people with glasses were frequently labeled "intellectuals." Meaning:
dangerous and thus to be put to sleep, a.k.a., shot. Same especially
under Pol Pot in Cambodia. If the religious right finally ever gains
ascendancy in this country for a prolonged period, a.k.a., American
Taliban, ditch those eyeglasses. Means you read them books. Which
contain subversive thoughts, a.k.a. "stuff." Unlike Mao's "interns,"
a.k.a. 16 to 19 year old girls, about forty at any given time, who
serviced the liberator's "needs."

What does this have to do with tech.bikes? Well, many people around
the world need eyeglasses to function as operators of bicycles,
(technically speaking), plus, under Mao and Pol, many people rode
bicycles.

QED.

Joe C.

Old July 30th 05, 04:28 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Joseph Carling:
If the religious right finally ever gains
ascendancy in this country for a prolonged period, a.k.a., American
Taliban, ditch those eyeglasses.

Did anybody see the little TV segement on the group of 80-or-so that have moved
to South Carolina in hopes of starting the nucleus of a group that will be
governed by the 10 commandments - either by taking over local/state governments
or by secession from the union?

Geeze, somebody should have told them to link up with that rebel group in Africa
that is fighting for the same thing - and supposedly holds some kind of record
for the most atrocities committed..
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 30th 05, 07:06 AM
maxo

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:18:50 -0400, Joseph Carling wrote:

But the best part is that if you pay over thirty dollars for sunglasses,
those will make you smarter!

Crap, I'm stupid. Still have a pair of Bolle cateyes from '86 that I paid
25 bucks for. :P

Indestructible, but I wear them sparingly now as the shape really screams
out for a Members Only jacket.

Old July 30th 05, 10:42 AM

Doug Huffman wrote:
Even expensively priced cheap sunglasses cause headaches. Cheap sunglasses
are cheap sunglasses.

Well, the choice is up to you, because they come
in two classes.

Robert

Old July 30th 05, 10:52 AM

Bruce W.1 wrote:

Cheap sunglasses rule!

You said it man. This reminds me of
a story. I saw this incredibly hot babe
and I couldn't help but follow her around
all night. She had on these super sexy
Levis, and I have to say her sweater was
kinda tight, too. She walked with what you might
call a 'West Coast strut.' Sweet as molasses,
I tell ya. But what really knocked me out
was her cheap sunglasses.

Robert

Old July 30th 05, 04:22 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Sounds like a personal problem. I've never had sunglasses cause
headaches.

My eyes definitely feel less-stressed with higher-quality shades at the end
of the day. It's not a UV thing; even the cheapest sunglasses do an adequate
job of filtering out UV. But since eyewear isn't made from flat pieces of
glass or plastic, minor distortions in light transmission can and do occur.
Your brain does an exceptional job of dealing with this, correcting the
image so you don't notice anything amiss. But that's extra work & stress.

I wasn't a believer in the science of it all, until a rep brought in a setup
to show how different sunglasses sent light off in different directions; the
results were interesting, to say the least-

www.ChainReaction.com/eyewear.htm

The difference is real. Don't get me wrong though; expensive sunglasses
aren't all better, and sure, it's probably costing them $2 in materials and
production costs to produce that $140 pair of shades. But that's probably
$1.75 more than the others. Almost-pure profit, sure, but that doesn't mean
they're not better. Just expensive.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 30th 05, 05:25 PM
Clyde

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The difference is real. Don't get me wrong though; expensive sunglasses
aren't all better, and sure, it's probably costing them $2 in materials and
production costs to produce that $140 pair of shades. But that's probably
$1.75 more than the others. Almost-pure profit, sure, but that doesn't mean
they're not better. Just expensive.

Other factors: cheap lenses are usually acrylic (CR-39), which shatters
on impact (but pass the least severe tests); cheap polycarbonate lenses
distort more than higher grades; cheap lenses don't have anti-reflective
coatings inside; cheap lenses don't have (or use minimal) anti-scratch
coatings; cheap lenses don't have hydrophobic coatings to reduce fogging
and blurring from rain drops; cheap lenses use less curvature (4- or
6-base instead of 8- or 10) so they don't seal against wind as
effectively; cheap lenses have more peripheral distortion; cheap lenses
often are polarized, which sucks for road biking; cheap frames "dry out"
so they crack or lenses pop out after a short period; cheap frames are
uncomfortable to wear for 6+ hours straight; cheap frames are less
effective at keeping sweat out of your eyes; cheap frames aren't
adjustable for different facial structures; cheap frames block your
vision when in full tuck.

Which isn't to say that cheap sunglasses aren't just fine for some
people. But the differences between cheap and high-end shades are real
-- it ain't all marketing hype. Whether the extra performance is worth
the price depends on your needs.

Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia? Dom Recumbent Biking 4 November 30th 04 05:58 AM
Riding in the rain with glasses - ideas? slugbath Unicycling 14 November 25th 04 03:08 AM
riding the whole Hudson River Ken Roberts Rides 33 October 25th 04 08:48 PM
Distance riding Rockey Unicycling 3 March 18th 04 05:25 AM
MUni riding – Eastern Kentucky - weekend of April 23-25 billham Unicycling 5 January 26th 04 03:45 AM