Riding glasses secret revealed

Old July 30th 05, 07:04 PM
Jasper Janssen

Default Riding glasses secret revealed

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:25:26 GMT, (Clyde) wrote:

Which isn't to say that cheap sunglasses aren't just fine for some
people. But the differences between cheap and high-end shades are real
-- it ain't all marketing hype. Whether the extra performance is worth
the price depends on your needs.

The differences between cheap and *some* high-end shades are real.
Something like an Oakley's is probably 140 bucks worth of marketing and
providing them for free to Keanu Reeves, and $40 worth of actual glasses.
I'd prefer to get the brandless $40 set.

Jasper
Old July 31st 05, 03:52 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

The differences between cheap and *some* high-end shades are real.
Something like an Oakley's is probably 140 bucks worth of marketing and
providing them for free to Keanu Reeves, and $40 worth of actual glasses.
I'd prefer to get the brandless $40 set.

In the tests we did, those $40 (and even twice that) sunglasses did no
better than some of the $10 & $20 options. From an optical standpoint,
Oakley has an extremely-high-quality product that appears to stand quite a
bit above the rest. From a mechanical standpoint, I wish they'd spend a few
more $$$ on their frames... we do see them break from time to time. On the
other hand, for some reason I've had the same pair for quite some time
(several years) and they've held up great, which is remarkable for how they
get treated.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 5th 05, 03:08 PM
calculus

What's wrong with polarized lenses?
Old August 5th 05, 03:09 PM
calculus

I prefer a welding mask. It keeps bugs from hitting my face. Can
YOUR glasses do that?
Old August 5th 05, 03:45 PM
Pat

calculus wrote : What's wrong with polarized lenses?

For one thing, and it's a big one for me, when I wear my polarized
sunglasses it makes the computer screen readout turn totally black. So, I
can stop and lift the sunglasses and read the screen, but I can't just tilt
my head and look down at it while riding.

Pat in TX

Old August 5th 05, 09:31 PM
Fritz

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:45:44 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

calculus wrote : What's wrong with polarized lenses?

For one thing, and it's a big one for me, when I wear my polarized
sunglasses it makes the computer screen readout turn totally black. So, I
can stop and lift the sunglasses and read the screen, but I can't just tilt
my head and look down at it while riding.

Pat in TX

I wear polarized sunglasses (perscription) and I can read my computer
just fine. Must be the construction of you computer screen that gives
you the problem, huh?

Old August 5th 05, 10:11 PM
Pat

: For one thing, and it's a big one for me, when I wear my polarized
: sunglasses it makes the computer screen readout turn totally black. So, I
: can stop and lift the sunglasses and read the screen, but I can't just
tilt
: my head and look down at it while riding.
:
: Pat in TX
:
: I wear polarized sunglasses (perscription) and I can read my computer
: just fine. Must be the construction of you computer screen that gives
: you the problem, huh?

Dunno. I use RayBan polarized sunglasses and a Vetta RT88 computer and when
I look at it, the display is affected by the polarization. shrug

Pat in TX
:
:

Old August 5th 05, 11:35 PM
Dave Lehnen

Pat wrote:
: For one thing, and it's a big one for me, when I wear my polarized
: sunglasses it makes the computer screen readout turn totally black. So, I
: can stop and lift the sunglasses and read the screen, but I can't just
tilt
: my head and look down at it while riding.
:
: Pat in TX
:
: I wear polarized sunglasses (perscription) and I can read my computer
: just fine. Must be the construction of you computer screen that gives
: you the problem, huh?

Dunno. I use RayBan polarized sunglasses and a Vetta RT88 computer and when
I look at it, the display is affected by the polarization. shrug

Pat in TX
:
:

I wear polarized sunglasses and ride several bikes with various
computers. The only one of mine that gives trouble is an older
Cateye Astrale, which seems to be polarized the wrong way to be
compatible with polarized glasses (tilting the head works). All
sunglasses should be polarized the same direction to reduce glare
from horizontal surfaces like roads or lakes.

Dave Lehnen

Old August 6th 05, 12:43 AM
Splat

Pat wrote:
Dunno. I use RayBan polarized sunglasses and a Vetta RT88 computer
and when I look at it, the display is affected by the polarization.
shrug

This is interesting. You got a anti-glare add-on screen on the monitor?
--
Splat

Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia? Dom Recumbent Biking 4 November 30th 04 05:58 AM
Riding in the rain with glasses - ideas? slugbath Unicycling 14 November 25th 04 03:08 AM
riding the whole Hudson River Ken Roberts Rides 33 October 25th 04 08:48 PM
Distance riding Rockey Unicycling 3 March 18th 04 05:25 AM
MUni riding – Eastern Kentucky - weekend of April 23-25 billham Unicycling 5 January 26th 04 03:45 AM