The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

Old April 22nd 09, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

Default The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:08:25 +0100, Mark McNeill
wrote:

Response to Peter Clinch:

What have you done to deserve me? Like asking what the Emperor did to
deserve some kid saying he had no clothes on... he showed up with no
clothes on.

Are you familiar with the literal meaning of "toom tabard"? I've
wondered in the past if he isn't just trolling.

Are you familiar with one of the meanings of Mark:

"an object of derision, scorn, manipulation, or the like"

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Old April 22nd 09, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:25:04 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Mark McNeill wrote:

Are you familiar with the literal meaning of "toom tabard"? I've
wondered in the past if he isn't just trolling.

All I knew was it was a nickname for a former Scots king. Maybe I
should know something else?

My opinion of his contributions (quite possibly wrong) was that
rather than a malign troll like Judith

I find your postings about me really quite objectionable.

I recall asking you to moderate what you say about me - unless you can
substantiate.

I am sorry that you declined the advice.
--

The BMA view of helmets:

The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.

The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries. This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.

Old April 22nd 09, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 21 Apr, 17:02, Peter Clinch wrote:

What have you done to deserve me? *Like asking what the Emperor did to
deserve some kid saying he had no clothes on... he showed up with no
clothes on.

A good analogy if you ignore the fact that ,on road safety issues,
this emperor is far better clothed than the average emperor, and that,
in the story, the kid obviously was wise, observant and capable of
making accurate observation and drawing accurate conclusions from the
empirical evidence. He would, if he'd examined the issue of the safety
benefits of cycle helmets, have been strongly in favour of them. As
far as I'm aware, he did not in later years end up spending his days
scanning the internet to identify those who also reach straightforward
valid conclusions, in order to tell them about the advantages of
wearing helmets in the home; though now that I've pointed that out, it
will may as usual prompt you to claim I'm wrong.

Toom

Old April 22nd 09, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 21 Apr, 17:08, Mark McNeill wrote:
Response to Peter Clinch:

What have you done to deserve me? *Like asking what the Emperor did to
deserve some kid saying he had no clothes on... he showed up with no
clothes on.

Are you familiar with the literal meaning of "toom tabard"? *I've
wondered in the past if he isn't just trolling.

I have an interest in Scottish history. When choosing a newsgroup
name, it was merely a matter of droll whimsy. You can look at Google
groups profile on an individual's contributions and decide if they are
trolling.

Wait 90 seconds and a special someone will be along to tell you and me
why I really chose it...........---------

Toom

Old April 22nd 09, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 21 Apr, 21:25, Peter Clinch wrote:
Mark McNeill wrote:
Are you familiar with the literal meaning of "toom tabard"? *I've
wondered in the past if he isn't just trolling.

All I knew was it was a nickname for a former Scots king. *Maybe I
should know something else?

John Balliol 1292-96, and it means "empty shirt". Knowing that will
give you something to cling to and make equally pointless comments on
when points about wearing helmets around the house fail.

My opinion of his contributions (quite possibly wrong) was that
rather than a malign troll like Judith he's rather like Scharf:
well meaning but due to an inability to tell the difference between
his own opinions and facts of far more limited use than he might
be. *But since he's established he really /can't/ tell the
difference between his opinions and fact I really ought to give up
and stop muddying urc's waters further: he's given himself enough
rope, tied the noose and jumped off the stool as far as his
pronouncements on helmets go.

A classic demonstration of cod psychology.

You'll find in general that opinions of others and their motives, tell
the individual more about what their own attitudes and motives would
be in that context, than it tells about the attitudes and motives of
the individual.

I note I've comprehensively discredited myself and may no longer
receive the benefit of your advice and wisdom. I'll try to struggle on
regardless.

Toom

Old April 22nd 09, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 21 Apr, 22:17, Mark McNeill wrote:

He could certainly give more thought to his opinions. *You could say he
might be of more use if he was a Reflective Tabard.

How dare you, sir! I am fluorescent!!!

Toom

Old April 22nd 09, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 21 Apr, 21:25, Peter Clinch wrote:

My opinion of his contributions (quite possibly wrong) was that
rather than a malign troll like Judith he's rather like Scharf:
well meaning but due to an inability to tell the difference between
his own opinions and facts of far more limited use than he might
be. *But since he's established he really /can't/ tell the
difference between his opinions and fact I really ought to give up
and stop muddying urc's waters further: he's given himself enough
rope, tied the noose and jumped off the stool as far as his
pronouncements on helmets go.

I've been rumbled: found out. I can't even distinguish between fact
and opinion. I've immediately asked my publishers to recall all my
books, papers and articles, internationally. These will be pulped and
turned into something useful, like IKEA tables. You have done the
world a great service.

Toom
Old April 22nd 09, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Clark

In message
Toom Tabard wrote:

On 21 Apr, 17:02, Peter Clinch wrote:

What have you done to deserve me? *Like asking what the Emperor did to
deserve some kid saying he had no clothes on... he showed up with no
clothes on.

A good analogy if you ignore the fact that ,on road safety issues,
this emperor is far better clothed than the average emperor, and that,
in the story, the kid obviously was wise, observant and capable of
making accurate observation and drawing accurate conclusions from the
empirical evidence. He would, if he'd examined the issue of the safety
benefits of cycle helmets, have been strongly in favour of them.

That's an opinion of course, in particular your opinion, and it is
certainly not one that I would hold to.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old April 22nd 09, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 22 Apr, 11:03, Mike Clark wrote:
In message
* * * * * Toom Tabard wrote:

On 21 Apr, 17:02, Peter Clinch wrote:

What have you done to deserve me? *Like asking what the Emperor did to
deserve some kid saying he had no clothes on... he showed up with no
clothes on.

A good analogy if you ignore the fact that ,on road safety issues,
this emperor is far better clothed than the average emperor, and that,
in the story, the kid obviously was wise, observant and capable of
making accurate observation and drawing accurate conclusions from the
empirical evidence. He would, if he'd examined the issue of the safety
benefits of cycle helmets, have been strongly in favour of them.

That's an opinion of course, in particular your opinion, and it is
certainly not one that I would hold to.

Indeed, and an opinion the kid would be unwise to hold or express on
this newsgroup, especially if he didn't also address the issue of
compulsion or explain why he didn't wear a helmet in the house ;-)

Nothing in that statement should be construed as evidence I can
distinguish fact from opinion; I am beyond help in that respect and am
attempting to become resigned to the resultant loss of Clinch as my
24/7 instantaneous self-appointed mentor adviser and guru.

Toom

Old April 22nd 09, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 21 Apr, 21:25, Peter Clinch wrote:
My opinion of his contributions (quite possibly wrong) was that
rather than a malign troll like Judith he's rather like Scharf:
well meaning but due to an inability to tell the difference between
his own opinions and facts of far more limited use than he might
be. *But since he's established he really /can't/ tell the
difference between his opinions and fact I really ought to give up
and stop muddying urc's waters further: he's given himself enough
rope, tied the noose and jumped off the stool as far as his
pronouncements on helmets go.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch * * * * * * * * * *Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital

Oh, my God! The silence is deafening. Is my little friend on holiday,
or are we finally agreed that I've benefitted more than I deserve from
being patronised by a man of his intellect? If I don't hear soon,
I'll be jumping off this stool, and, if I do, will I then 'be of far
more limited use than I might be'?

Toom

Cycling is safer with LANCE gone [email protected] Racing 4 July 14th 08 08:17 AM
Critical Mass - productive campaign to promote cycling or... The Nottingham Duck UK 54 September 23rd 05 06:33 AM
Safer Helmet Tilly UK 1 June 17th 05 12:07 PM
MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 03:58 AM
Bridelways now safer Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 July 29th 03 06:59 PM