Perkiomen Trail completed in Philadelphia area.

Old November 23rd 03, 01:55 AM
Bill Cotton

Default Perkiomen Trail completed in Philadelphia area.

http://www.billcotton.com/philadelph...cle_trails.htm I took
a few
pictures of the ceremony and posted then on the above page.
The trail, Perkiomen is a rail to trail project that connect with the
Schuylkill River trail in Oak PA and is now completed to Green Lane
PA. It is presently possible to ride more than 50 miles of continues
trail riding from Walnut St in downtown Philadelphia, through
Norristown and Betzwood section of Valley Forge, to Oak PA and on to
Green Lane PA, near the border of Berks and Leigh counties.
The rail line right of way extends to Allentown.
Old November 24th 03, 03:45 PM
Ken Brown

Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
interesting section?
I am confused about the length. One place on the web page says the red
line is 17.86 miles and the blue line 24.09 miles, which does not add
up to 50.
Ken
(Bill Cotton) wrote:

http://www.billcotton.com/philadelph...cle_trails.htm I took
a few
pictures of the ceremony and posted then on the above page.
The trail, Perkiomen is a rail to trail project that connect with the
Schuylkill River trail in Oak PA and is now completed to Green Lane
PA. It is presently possible to ride more than 50 miles of continues
trail riding from Walnut St in downtown Philadelphia, through
Norristown and Betzwood section of Valley Forge, to Oak PA and on to
Green Lane PA, near the border of Berks and Leigh counties.
The rail line right of way extends to Allentown.

Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail
Old November 25th 03, 03:20 PM
Bill Cotton

Ken Brown wrote in message . ..
Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
interesting section?
I am confused about the length. One place on the web page says the red
line is 17.86 miles and the blue line 24.09 miles, which does not add
up to 50.
Ken

That information will be updated with the completion of the trail the
red line on the map is 22 miles and the blue line is presently to
Center City about 28 miles.

Old November 25th 03, 08:20 PM
Roy Zipris

Ken Brown wrote in message . ..
Pennsylvania has some great rail trails and I would like to visit this
one some day. If I only had time to do part of it, what is the most
interesting section?

Bill may disagree (and his knowledge and experience far exceed mine),
but if you have only limited time in this area for a trail ride, I'd
recommend riding the old mule barge trial along the Delaware
River--about 60 miles from Morrisville to Easton, or cycle shorter
segments at New Hope, Washington Crossing, or other points along the
way. Second choice: the Perkiomen Trail from Betzwood Park (near
Valley Forge National Park) or Lower Perkiomen Park to Green Lane and
back. Last choice: Betzwood south along the Schuylkill River through
Manayunk (think The Wall during the Wachovia Cycling pro race) to the
Art Museum (think "Rocky"). Then, of course, there's the well-known
Jim Thorpe trail..... Roy Zipris
Old November 26th 03, 09:24 PM
Bill Cotton

(Roy Zipris) wrote in message om...
Ken Brown wrote in message . ..
[...]

Roy you rated the trails very well. I agree completly. I would only
add that the Barge Trail runs on both side of the Delaware River.
Frenchtown NJ, Trenton NJ to New Brunwick through Princeton NJ, it is
the D&R, trail, Delaware and Rartin trail. The section through the
city of Trenton is interupted but doeable. The D&R is a link in the
East Coast Greenway. From them, cue sheets are available to connect
both trails through Trenton NJ and Morrisville PA.
Old November 28th 03, 02:08 AM
Roy Zipris

Cliff Allo wrote in message . ..
What is the surface of this trail? If not paved, it is still suitable
for road bikes?

The trails on both the PA and NJ sides of the Delaware River are
crushed gravel, for the most part. At some point in Upper Bucks
County, the PA path becomes compacted dirt. Really for hybrids and
MTBs.

For comparison, the path from the Art Museum in Phila to Valley Forge
and then for another 4 1/2 miles north is paved, suitable for road
bikes. (In fact, when the pro cyclists come to town, you often see
teams speeding along the trail. ) Above that point (and where the
trail gets prettiest, I think), again crushed gravel, which I've done
on my road bike as far as Collegeville--but slowly and carefully, at
9-10 mph tops. Again, hybrid or MTB would be best. --Roy Zipris
Old November 28th 03, 04:27 AM
Bill Cotton

Cliff Allo wrote in message . ..
What is the surface of this trail? If not paved, it is still suitable
for road bikes?

I suggest tire size as a limitation for these trails, 25 mm tires or
larger is ok. Both trails mention here are hardpack, most area is pack
clay, like a tennis court. other parts are fine stone pack.
About 30 miles of the trail 50 miles from Philadelphia to Green Lane
is paved.

Old November 28th 03, 02:59 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
(Roy Zipris) wrote:

Cliff Allo wrote in message
. ..
What is the surface of this trail? If not paved, it is still suitable
for road bikes?

The trails on both the PA and NJ sides of the Delaware River are
crushed gravel, for the most part. At some point in Upper Bucks
County, the PA path becomes compacted dirt. Really for hybrids and
MTBs.

For comparison, the path from the Art Museum in Phila to Valley Forge
and then for another 4 1/2 miles north is paved, suitable for road
bikes. (In fact, when the pro cyclists come to town, you often see
teams speeding along the trail. ) Above that point (and where the
trail gets prettiest, I think), again crushed gravel, which I've done
on my road bike as far as Collegeville--but slowly and carefully, at
9-10 mph tops. Again, hybrid or MTB would be best. --Roy Zipris

The Trails are paved as far as Oaks ( Upper Indian Head Road ).
I too ride into Collegville on my road bike on the 3 mile stretch, but you get
beat up and can really only go about 8-10 mph.

I have also gone up to Green Lane on my cross bike w/30mm Michelin Sprints.

In an unofficial conversation with the supperintendant of Parks for Montgomery
County, there are plans to pave the Perkiomen Trail as far north as
Schwenksville by 2005. We¹ll see. Remember the Blue Route???

Today¹s Inky had a story about a Schuylkill River Trail extension down to
Bartrams Garden and maybe to the Delaware River. The current state of the trail
in Philadelphia is abismal ( until the River Drives ).

HAND

Old November 29th 03, 12:07 AM
Roy Zipris

"H. M. Leary" wrote in message

In an unofficial conversation with the supperintendant of Parks for Montgomery
County, there are plans to pave the Perkiomen Trail as far north as
Schwenksville by 2005. We1ll see. Remember the Blue Route???

Bill, below, is probably right about the tire size/width being the
most important factor. As for paving the Perkiomen Trail, that will
make the path all the more crowded with strollers, rollerbladers,
etc.--a mixed blessing. I think I'd prefer it to remain as it is,
like the Delaware paths. --RZ