Lake Shore Avenue, Toronto?

Old January 9th 04, 05:52 PM
Tanya Quinn

Default Lake Shore Avenue, Toronto?

"NYRides" wrote in message .net...
Okay, okay...you guys are having WAY too much fun with my original post,
which was just a simple request from a naive Yankee for suggestions about a
short ride on the waterfront path this summer. I want to take my wife up
there and she's not much of a cyclist. She can only do about 20-25 miles at
a pop, but she loves every second of it. We're willing to combine biking
with a ferry ride, etc. Sorry to get back on the subject , but can
anybody suggest a starting and ending point that includes:

1. Restaurants and/or places to stop for a pint along the way
2. Cool stuff to see and do, like the Canadian Exhibition Center, etc.
3. Toronto
4. Places with bathrooms
5. A place to rent bikes
6. A decent hotel at which to leave our baggage
7. LOTS and LOTS of waterfront!!!

You can rent bikes at Wheel Excitement which is on Rees street just
south of Skydome. There are probably others as well but this has the
advantage of being downtown (probably near your hotel - Sheraton is
one choice, but there are lots of choices!) and close to the
waterfront trail. Check the Toronto cycling map
(http://www.toronto.ca/cycling has the link) for details of directions
(I'm bad with them) but one suggestion would be:

.. Head east along the waterfront trail to Cherry street. Turn south
along Cherry street - the trail branches and you can either head along
the north side of Lakeshore Road (shorter but no view of the water) or
head down through the portlands (longer, water) Once you reach Leslie
Street you can head north to catch the trail again, or for a nice ride
with lots of water and little cars, head south to Tommy Thompson Park.
Follow the trail through the park to the end and there is a lighthouse
with a great view of the city. I think its around 7 km each way from
the foot of Leslie to the lighthouse (and there are no bathrooms or
food)
.. Once you head east from Leslie you'll come to Ashbridges Park at
Coxwell. From there further east there are bound to be lots of people
(if its summer, and even if its not) and a couple of snack bars, some
public washrooms (usually only open in summer) etc.
If you want a longer loop or decide to head west from the bike rental
along the waterfront trail, you'll start out by going along Queens
Quay (medium busy but lots of cyclists here, not much problem) and
then you will rejoin with the offroad trail again. The trail goes
through Ontario Place, and a nice distance stop point with your wife
would probably be the Humber Bay bridge to turn around (its a big
white cycling and pedestrian bridge, you can't miss it) There's a
snack bar with ice cream right along the trail (I think they have
washrooms as well)

Generally if you head north from the waterfront trail you will hit
Queen street if you are in the Beaches (east end), further west you
will hit Lakeshore (highway), Front (in core), King, Queen. Front or
Queen (and some sections of King) are good bets for finding pubs to
grab a pint. If you don't want to venture far from the trail there's a
largish restaurant near Woodbine right off the trail. There's some
microbreweries downtown you could take a tour of as well
http://www.bartowel.com/amster.phtml
Steamwhistle brewery is right near the bike rental place:
http://www.steamwhistle.ca/tours.htm

Depending on when you come there may be interesting events going on.
There's a Jazz Festival in the Beaches area in late July, the Molson
Indy takes place along Lakeshore Road in July, the Caribana festival
is also in July, various food tasting festivals are held throughout
the summer and the CNE (exhibition) is held the last 18 days before
labour day.

If you let us know what you like to do we can probably make better
suggestions!

Tanya
Old January 12th 04, 03:03 PM
Guru_2_u_2

Tom

You are getting lots of good help here already, but a couple o
pointers

1) Don't stay at the four points on Lakeshore. The back of the hotel i
ON one of the busiest highways in the city

2) The lakeshore path starting at the four points (a nominal startin
location, because it goes to Burlington) and running East to Downtow
is about 12K or so. This is beautiful and has some worthy scenery, i
is slow for cyclists and ideal for 'casual' riding

3) Downtown (using Yonge and Lakeshore as the intersection of choice
has about 100 places to grab a beer, go to the bathroom, etc. withi
a 5 minute ride, 10 minute walk. More detail in the question wil
spur more ideas

4) Cool Stuff . . . Hockey Hall of Fame, CN Tower, SkyDome, Air Canad
Center, Centre Island ferry, Pier 4 shops ($$), Artisan's shops
boats galore, restaurants with cool views, music and theatre in th
summer. Oh yeah, the theatre district too. Kensington Market, Al
within that 5 minute ride/10 minute walk from Yonge and Lakeshore

5) If you like Westin Hotels, the Westin is at the bottom of Yonge o
the water, the Sheraton is a 10 min ride North at Queen an
University, but it is a better hotel in my opinion

Others have suggested the Don Trail. This is probably one of the mos
scenic routes IN the city, but going up the trail might be viewed a
difficult by some (it isn't really that hard, but I don't know you
wife) Coming back down is lots of fun with a slow downhill for abou
15k. You are virtually hidden from the city for almost the whole ride

Per other's suggestions, get a map of the Toronto trails, take a bac
pack and make a day of it. But don't expect lots of stops on the Do
Trail (although there is an exit every Km or so with lots of food/drin
within 2-3 min of each exit.

I hope that helps

Guru

-