"I'm going to knock your head off with a baseball bat"

Old April 6th 05, 01:58 PM
jj

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:47:12 -0500, Preston Crawford

On 2005-04-06, jj wrote:
Preston, also accept my sympathy and empathy for what happened to you. If
these people knew what a kind and wonderful person you were they would
never think of talking to you like that. We need more great guys like you
in the world.

Well, I'm not sure I deserve that kind of praise, but I appreciate it
nonetheless. Thanks.

Man, I've been to your website and read your story and you seem like one of
those jovial big teddy bears of a guy who has a kind word to everyone.
bg

jj

Old April 6th 05, 02:12 PM
Peter Cole

Preston Crawford wrote:

In the end he drove off, I road off, but I'm really starting to get

tired
of this garbage. This happens far too often and I do everything

you're
supposed to do when it comes to riding. And yet still it happens. And

it's
never "damn you for passing me" or "how dare you take the lane". The

road
raging is always because I'm on the road period. Period! Nothing

more.
Nothing less. You don't deserve to be on the road, so I'm going to
threaten to kill you. What can you do when faced with this? I'm so

sick of
it. I want to carry a camera with me and just photograph the hell out

of
these people and take them to court. I wonder if I should carry mace

with
me at all times. I don't want to. I'm not a fighter. But at a certain

point when not only are you being threatened by their vehicles, but
they're threatening to wield weapons, what do you do? I'm at a loss.

You want some cheese with that whine? Sure, what happened to you was
unjust, but I'm sure if you looked around a little 1 block radius you'd
see instances of injustice (social or cosmic) that dwarf your little
bump. You don't get as indignant about those, do you? Your ego got
tweaked, that's all. Probably by some guy whose ego has been stomped
on. He's just looking to roll the **** downhill, and guess who's there
-- you. If you don't want to be vulnerable to this sort of thing, drive
a car, that's what most people do. Don't personalize it, it's not about
you, that's just your ego talking, follow it and you'll just get deeper
and become part of the problem yourself. Let it go grasshopper, and
think about why it's so hard to let go of.

Now if I could only follow my own advice...

Old April 6th 05, 02:25 PM
H M Leary

In article ,
"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:01:32 -0400, jj wrote:

In that event the first thing you want to do if you can't immediately
escape and ride off down a side street is get off the bike. (Sitting on the
bike makes you a sitting duck for getting punched with one foot clipped
in.)

Put the bike between you and them

This advise works better for dogs than for rednecks. But then, the dogs
are less belligerent, and smarter.

Tis true! Tis true!

....and all of this in the City of Brotherly Love - yeah, RIGHT.

Crossing the Schuylkil River on a four lane bridge, the two of us were
told by a lone driver in a Mercedes SUV to "get on the F-ing Sidewalk!'

This was Easter Sunday around 7:00AM, so the only car we had seen. My
friend replied to this yuppie "Thank you, thank you. You have a great
day, too!"

Red faced, the Merc drove off.

HAND
What's a sidewalk??
Old April 6th 05, 02:36 PM
Mark Hickey

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:01:32 -0400, jj wrote:

In that event the first thing you want to do if you can't immediately
escape and ride off down a side street is get off the bike. (Sitting on the
bike makes you a sitting duck for getting punched with one foot clipped
in.)

Put the bike between you and them

This advise works better for dogs than for rednecks. But then, the dogs
are less belligerent, and smarter.

I didn't see anything in the description that indicates a "redneck"
was involved. In fact, I've found the aggressive driver syndrome cuts
across pretty much the entire demographic of driverdom. Lawyers to
college students to soccer moms. The only common trait is that
they're angry and not too bright. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 6th 05, 03:13 PM
Maggie

Tom Keats wrote:
I figure those red-faced fools with the bulging neck veins
are more likely to end up killing themselves, getting all
worked up to the point of having cardiac episodes.
It's pitiable, really.

cheers,
Tom

I am a red faced fool with bulging neck veins. I think that's why I
ride a bike now. It's calming and I figure if my temper remains the
same, I will surely have one of those cardiac epidodes. This thread hit
my eye because of the baseball bat reference. Last night I KILLED my
dishwasher. It broke for the 5th time in the last year and I just went
berserk on it. Actually after I smashed the dishwasher I felt
liberated. No more wondering...will it work?....will it NOT work?
But feeling liberated didn't make it right. My kids came home and
said....."MOM, DID YOU FREAK OUT ON ANOTHER APPLIANCE?"

So you are right, the fool with the temper is going to be the one hurt
in the end. Speaking as that fool, I humbly apologize for all of us
who lack self control. I never physically hurt a person in my life. I
never even spanked my kids. But I have broken many appliances, picture
frames and bric a brac over the years. Better to break appliances than
head I imagine.
All good things,
Maggie....frustrated in suburbia

Old April 6th 05, 03:14 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2005-04-06, Mark Hickey wrote:
"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:01:32 -0400, jj wrote:

In that event the first thing you want to do if you can't immediately
escape and ride off down a side street is get off the bike. (Sitting on the
bike makes you a sitting duck for getting punched with one foot clipped
in.)

Put the bike between you and them

This advise works better for dogs than for rednecks. But then, the dogs
are less belligerent, and smarter.

I didn't see anything in the description that indicates a "redneck"
was involved. In fact, I've found the aggressive driver syndrome cuts
across pretty much the entire demographic of driverdom. Lawyers to
college students to soccer moms. The only common trait is that
they're angry and not too bright. ;-)

You're correct, Mark. He wasn't a redneck. In fact (not that it's worth
anything as you correctly point out), but he looked like a Middle Eastern
man.

Preston
Old April 6th 05, 03:18 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2005-04-06, Ken wrote:

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message

And the driver was probably driving one of those huge SUV's and was probably
the only person in it!

Ken

No. Didn't fit any stereotype. He was actually Middle Eastern, driving a
sports car.

Preston
Old April 6th 05, 03:59 PM
Ken

On 2005-04-06, Ken wrote:

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message

And the driver was probably driving one of those huge SUV's and was

probably
the only person in it!

Ken

No. Didn't fit any stereotype. He was actually Middle Eastern, driving a
sports car.

Preston

Oh well maybe he was a "wanna be" terrorist who just couldn't get his hands
on a plane to fly into a building! So he has to take it out on the cyclist.
Ken

Old April 6th 05, 04:00 PM
Maggie

Peter Cole wrote:
Let it go grasshopper, and think about why it's so hard to let go of.

I was told that many times. There is a line from the movie "Divine
Secrets of the YA YA Sisterhood" which goes.

"I take a problem (situation) chew on it and chew on it and then stick
it in my hair." THAT'S ME!!!

I have a way of holding a grudge long after it even matters. There are
some things I know I will take to my grave and never forgive. Who am I
hurting by doing this....ME, thats who.

I have a hard time lettting go of any injustice and moving on. It's a
freaking nightmare. You give good advice. Grasshopper should listen.
Letting go and moving on is one of the hardest things we humans have to
do. I am getting better as I get older though. My temper is confined
to smashing dishwashers and I am able to move past things easier. (some
things, other things will fester in my soul for all eternity.) ;-)
All good things,
Maggie

Old April 6th 05, 04:02 PM

On 2005-04-06, David L. Johnson

wrote:

It happens to us all, and I know very well that it is sometimes

hard to
let it go. I can list a half-dozen instances that _still_ gall me.

But
I will not even relate them, since that only makes it worse.

Same here and same on the it only makes it worse. I have a virtual
catalogue in my head. It's a shame.

:-) I think I've finally found a real benefit to my lousy memory!

Seriously, I can recall such incidents, but the recollections don't
evoke any negative emotions. It's more like "Oh yeah, that happened to
me at that intersection." Period.

Regarding avoiding confrontation sites: First, if there is a more
"peaceful" route that's otherwise equivalent, I see no problem with
using it. A large part of why I ride is aesthetic, and just as I
prefer prettier roads, quieter traffic, etc, I'd prefer more pleasant
drivers.

But in Preston's case, where the site can't be avoided? I wouldn't
worry much at all. One of my worst confrontations with a motorist was
on my usual route home from work. He was so mad he was feinting at
charging me on foot, trying to scare me. I was smirking and slowly
shaking my head in disbelief - and holding a can of Halt dog spray
behind my handlebar bag. Of course, he eventually just drove off.

I wondered when I'd run into him again, but I never did. Of course, by
then I had his license number and he knew it. (I'd read it aloud to
him.) I watched for him for a few weeks, but eventually forgot all
about that. You will too, if you don't dwell on the incident
excessively.

- Frank Krygowski