[OT] Drivers can't recognise signs

Old June 4th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The other view point, there is one you know...

Default Drivers can't recognise signs

On 4 Jun, 07:44, Tony Raven wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6716417.stm

Road signs 'lost' on many drivers

Many British motorists are lost when it comes to understanding common
road signs, a survey suggests.

Some 67% of the 2,500 people polled did not recognise "no through road"
signs, and one-third could not identify the sign for "no motor vehicles".

Fewer than 33% knew what a "no cycling" sign looked like and one-third
were confused by height restriction signs.

Vauxhall's poll found drivers would like to see signs such as "cash
machine nearby" and "urban foxes crossing".

'Wild goose chases'

The next most popular new signs motorists wanted to see were ones
warning drivers to be more environmentally friendly by switching off
their engines - for instance, outside schools while waiting to collect
children.

Other popular suggestions we

# Wifi hotspot;

# Healthy eating zone - indicating places where healthy food is on offer;

# Drive-through approaching;

# Up-to-date children-crossing signs - with the boy wearing a hoodie;

# Beware of skateboarders.

Simon Ewart, of carmaker Vauxhall, said: "UK motorists love to drive,
but our research shows that there is a need to contemporise the road
landscape to mirror the needs of modern motorists.

"We are all more aware of green issues, so a simple reminder to turn the
engine off when waiting has to be a good thing.

"We've all been on wild goose chases looking for cash machines. A new
road sign could save endless hours searching the streets."

--
Tony

At least as a motorist, they have demonstrated some competency with
road signs. And cyclists have demonstrated what competency??

Old June 4th 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

At least as a motorist, they have demonstrated some competency with
road signs. And cyclists have demonstrated what competency??

Survival!
Old June 4th 07, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

The other view point, there is one you know... wrote:
On 4 Jun, 07:44, Tony Raven wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6716417.stm

Road signs 'lost' on many drivers

At least as a motorist, they have demonstrated some competency with
road signs. And cyclists have demonstrated what competency??

On my theory test when I learn to drive, I passed 100% first time. I
would pass it if I had to retake it now. Far too many drivers would not
pass, and should not be on the road.

Martin.

Old June 4th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Dean

Default [OT] Drivers can't recognise signs

Chris Johns wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, naked_draughtsman wrote:

There does seem to be a culture of "let's put a sign up for it" in a
lot of
places. My driving instructor always used to complain about one stretch

The BBC article seems to suggest people want yet more signs, to cash
machines and telling them to switch off their engines when waiting (are
they not able to do that themselves without a sign?!)

Most of the other things suggested were equally stupid.

This is exactly my point from my previous discussions... People can't
think or take responsibility for themselves. They need yet more signs to
be told what to do.

It drives me f***ing mad!

Cya
Simon
Old June 4th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Dean

Martin Dann wrote:
The other view point, there is one you know... wrote:
On 4 Jun, 07:44, Tony Raven wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6716417.stm

Road signs 'lost' on many drivers

At least as a motorist, they have demonstrated some competency with
road signs. And cyclists have demonstrated what competency??

On my theory test when I learn to drive, I passed 100% first time. I
would pass it if I had to retake it now. Far too many drivers would not
pass, and should not be on the road.

Martin.

Theory test?

I passed when it was a unified test. But according to my instructor, my
test was with a real hard nose. He was a biker who had been knocked off
his bike by a car and could no longer ride, so he didn't have much of a
time for car drivers. He had a real bad reputation as the worst you can get.

I still remember as if it were yesterday, being told I wasn't using my
mirrors enough (apparently you have to turn your whole head to see a
mirror), and I remember one question.... What are the rules and
regulations on a Motorway. So I kept coming out with stuff like "Keep to
the left unless overtaking... Obey signs..." and everything I said, he
just kept saying "Doesn't say that". I was getting seriously stressed
out. He ended up rephrasing the question asking "Are you allowed on
there?", "Oh, well, no, because Im a learner". This was followed by
something like "Well you're allowed now".

Cya
Simon
Old June 4th 07, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

At least as a motorist, they have demonstrated some competency with
road signs. And cyclists have demonstrated what competency??

Pretty much the same as pedestrians. Thankfully standards (and levels of)
cycle training are on the up, but need to rise further. However, given the
KSI stats for cyclists and peds, I think it's those using their feet that
need the lessons!

Old June 4th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ambrose Nankivell

Martin Dann wrote:
If you switch off the engine for a minute, and then turn it back on it
creates a lot of pollution when it is restarted.

Really? Do you have numbers for that? Petrol or diesel?

Old June 4th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Richard Bates

Tony Raven wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6716417.stm

[SNIP]

The next most popular new signs motorists wanted to see were ones
warning drivers to be more environmentally friendly by switching off
their engines - for instance, outside schools while waiting to collect
children.

[Not sure you'll be reading this but ...]

I've seen these in Birmingham. Not authorised by whoever the bods are
who deal with road signs, but presumably thought up by schools themselves.

Examples of wording I have seen a

1) Don't choke me

and

2) Fumes are nasty monsters.
Old June 4th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"Martin Dann" wrote

If you switch off the engine for a minute, and then turn it back on it
creates a lot of pollution when it is restarted.

Only in the bad old days of carburrettors. Have you not noticed that modern
engines start on the third stroke?

Old June 4th 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

wrote

At least as a motorist, they have demonstrated some competency with
road signs.

A significant minority have not

And cyclists have demonstrated what competency??

A significant minority (possibly majority) a driving test.

Confusing signs Danny Colyer UK 13 June 5th 07 05:38 PM
more signs of the apocolypse [email protected] Racing 0 July 27th 06 08:01 PM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM
no uni signs einrad_traum Unicycling 6 July 8th 04 05:19 AM