Canberra riders/drivers

Old April 26th 05, 12:19 PM
BrettM

Default Canberra riders/drivers

TimC wrote in
:

I just pointed to the crossing and said "crossing". Not even
yelled.

If you were riding across then he might not have had to stop. Ped
crossings are for pedestrians and cyclists are required to dismount
before using them (we've all heard this before). I have no idea how this
is supposed to work or how you stand (legally) if hit while riding
across one.

And this assumes that the road rules in Canberra are the some as
elsewhere.

Does anyone actually dismount before using a crossing?

I think this might actually be a hold over from the days before pram
ramps at crossings. If cyclists didn't ride across then we didn't need
to install ramps sort of thing. There is a minor safety issue with the
speed that a cyclist can approach but otherwise there isn't a traffic
reason why they should dismount (And r*nners don't have to walk so this
isn't a real issue). Peds take too much time as it is ;-)

Cheers

BrettM

Old April 26th 05, 12:42 PM
TimC

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 at 11:19 GMT, BrettM (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote in
:

I just pointed to the crossing and said "crossing". Not even
yelled.

If you were riding across then he might not have had to stop.

Nah - walking.

The conference organisers hired about 20 bikes on the last day, which
was the only riding I did for the entire week. My poor legs were
sooking all week at the inactivity, but I did manage to go to the gym
ontop of the accomodation a couple of times.

Linux isn't hard. What does this do?
cat /dev/dsp /dev/hda & killall -9 getty X
Records the sound of "Oh, fsck" on your harddrive. Obviously.
Old April 27th 05, 12:12 AM
Bean Long

"RobWoozle" wrote
And as for ACT drivers...well I admit that as a rule they aren't great
(especially if it rains), but, after a week in Brisbane I can say that
ACT drivers are fantastic...generally drive in only one lane, and don't
drive slow in the outside lane....

rantSorry... but I can't agree. Under no circumstances would I ever say
that ACT drivers are "fantastic". They tend to drive right up your arse no
matter what the weather, generally pick which ever lane they like
(apparently the right lane of a two lane freeway is fair game even if
there's no other traffic about) and they are generally arrogant and a right
pain in the bum... and I sorely admit that I have an ACT driver's
license!\rant
--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Old April 27th 05, 12:18 AM
Tamyka Bell

Bean Long wrote:

"RobWoozle" wrote
And as for ACT drivers...well I admit that as a rule they aren't great
(especially if it rains), but, after a week in Brisbane I can say that
ACT drivers are fantastic...generally drive in only one lane, and don't
drive slow in the outside lane....

rantSorry... but I can't agree. Under no circumstances would I ever say
that ACT drivers are "fantastic". They tend to drive right up your arse no
matter what the weather, generally pick which ever lane they like
(apparently the right lane of a two lane freeway is fair game even if
there's no other traffic about) and they are generally arrogant and a right
pain in the bum... and I sorely admit that I have an ACT driver's
license!\rant
--
Bean

Ever ridden in Brisbane, Bean?

Tam
Old April 27th 05, 02:46 AM
Bean Long

No Tam... ever ridden or driven in Canberra?!

Old April 27th 05, 03:33 AM
Tamyka Bell

Bean Long wrote:

Ever ridden in Brisbane, Bean?

Tam

No Tam... ever ridden or driven in Canberra?!

--
Bean

No, I've observed traffic there a lot though, as a pedestrian or
passenger. RobWoozle said that in comparison to Brisbane, ACT drivers
were fantastic. So if you say that's not true, then you might want to
really avoid cycling in Brisbane, because here it's f'ing appalling. Hey
been cycling in Perth? People in Perth are so chill, it's awesome!
Pedestrians can just walk out onto the road without looking, and know
that locals will stop. Too bad if Sydney drivers are visiting though.

Tam
Old April 27th 05, 04:54 AM
Bean Long

As far as riding goes, Canberra is actually quite good (see my earlier
post). However, get in your car and have a drive around Canberra and you
take your life into your own hands!! :-}

Old April 27th 05, 05:24 AM
alex

Drivers in Perth are diabolical, no wonder cycle paths are so popular
here

Old April 27th 05, 10:06 AM
geoffs

Brisbane drivers are incompetent but Canberra drivers are the absolut
pits. We have cycled around a there a couple of times when we have bee
down for the Floriade and have found Canberra drivers the rudest an
most agressive a****holes that we have experienced.
The atitude is, and this is one of the reasons that I hate bicycl
paths, YOU SHOULD BE ON THE F*****N BIKE PATH. How dare you be on th
road.
When you don't kbow the way around a city and you don't wont to ride o
unlit bike paths at night, the road is the best option. Each time w
have been there we have had a few louts screaming at us to get off th
road.
Leaning out of the car, stuff thrown at us and abused.
I used to think that Sydney was the worst place in the world to cycl
(after Naples but thats another story) but Canberra beats it had down.
Rant over

Feeling sorry for Canberra cyclists

Geof

--
geoffs

Old April 27th 05, 12:24 PM
aeek

geoffs Wrote:
[...]

Geoff

The downside of a perceived good path network - and it is good, durin
daylight, if you like that kind of thing.

The abuse isn't that bad. Commuting, I get verballed fortnightly.
My 6am bunch ride, there's always ONE dickhead who has to use thei
horn badly.
Both, its where there's plenty of room for everyone! Bizarre.

Way outnumbered by the ok drivers, and even the good drivers, but yeah
it only takes one idiot wielding a 2 tonne club

--
aeek

Update on Dahon Boardwalk 6, 20" folder in Canberra Tom Worthington Australia 1 February 21st 05 07:45 PM
Update on Dahon Boardwalk 6, 20" folder in Canberra Tom Worthington Techniques 0 February 20th 05 10:59 PM
Live in Canberra? cfsmtb Australia 0 January 12th 05 11:00 AM
Bike hire in Canberra Joseph Australia 3 March 24th 04 11:58 AM
Dahon Boardwalk 6, 20" folder works in Canberra - followup Tom Worthington Australia 3 March 20th 04 11:53 AM