Has the Klein Palomino been discontinued?

Old October 25th 05, 10:42 PM
David Krumm

Default Has the Klein Palomino been discontinued?

I was looking at the Klein website (
http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountain_bikes/index.html ) today and I
noticed the Attitude is the only bike they mention. Does anyone know
if that means they've discontinued the Palomino? It'd be a shame if
they have, though I suppose I'd understand why what with the trouble
you get in their front derailleur.

- David

Old October 25th 05, 11:50 PM
Shawn

David Krumm wrote:
I was looking at the Klein website (
http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountain_bikes/index.html ) today and I
noticed the Attitude is the only bike they mention. Does anyone know
if that means they've discontinued the Palomino? It'd be a shame if
they have, though I suppose I'd understand why what with the trouble
you get in their front derailleur.

- David

http://no.oneslistening.com/?p=193

Never had trouble with the front derailleur on either of my Palomino
frames. The first frame wasn't welded straight, and the seat post
slipped nearly from day one, thus the replacement.

Shawn
Old October 26th 05, 12:09 AM
Vee

Shawn wrote:
David Krumm wrote:
I was looking at the Klein website (
http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountain_bikes/index.html ) today and I
noticed the Attitude is the only bike they mention. Does anyone know
if that means they've discontinued the Palomino? It'd be a shame if
they have, though I suppose I'd understand why what with the trouble
you get in their front derailleur.

- David

http://no.oneslistening.com/?p=193

Looks like the Palomino is gone forever. If you break one, they give
you a Gary Fisher Cake frame.
I've heard that Klein road bikes continue to sell well in Europe, so
maybe the company itself will stick around for a while. Who knows.

-Vee

Old October 27th 05, 11:23 PM
GWood

Yes. I contacted Customer Service at the Klein site and they confirmed they
have no FS model in their 2006 line up.

Kinda sad, but makes me glad I have one of their Chehalis FS frames, as
dated as it is.

ups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 05:49 PM

My guess is that Trek is keeping the Klein brand alive long enough to
unload their inventory of frames, and will be retiring the brand
shortly. You'll notice that the 3 models they still sell haven't been
changed between 05 and 06, except for parts spec.

Old October 28th 05, 06:52 PM
GWood

I wonder if the "word on the street" was not positive on the Trek-made
Kleins? While some folks aren't fans, they at least seemed well made when
they were fabricated in WA. I imagine that overall quality declined when
they started making them in the larger scale Trek factory.

However, you'd think their current frames would be no better/worse than the
Treks, which still seem to sell well.

ups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 07:05 PM
Ride-A-Lot

GWood wrote:
I wonder if the "word on the street" was not positive on the Trek-made
Kleins? While some folks aren't fans, they at least seemed well made when
they were fabricated in WA. I imagine that overall quality declined when
they started making them in the larger scale Trek factory.

However, you'd think their current frames would be no better/worse than the
Treks, which still seem to sell well.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My guess is that Trek is keeping the Klein brand alive long enough to
unload their inventory of frames, and will be retiring the brand
shortly. You'll notice that the 3 models they still sell haven't been
changed between 05 and 06, except for parts spec.

Maybe there license agreement with Maverick ended. Dontcha think?

Of course if you like the Palamino that much, you could still get the
same design from Maverick. Probably made better, too.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old October 28th 05, 07:37 PM

I have an '04 Palomino and really like it. The welds and paint are
beautiful, and no bushing problems as of yet. I agree that the
Maverick is probably superior in that it has bearing pivots and the
cool tubing shapes, but the Kleins were priced such that you could get
a complete bike for the price of a Maverick frameset...probably 95% of
the performance for 50% of the cost. And if someone starts making a
bearing retrofit kit, you'd have 99% of the performance.

Currently, only Maverick and Seven Cycles are making monolink frames.
I think its a great design, shame that the high price point will put it
out of reach for so many.

Old October 31st 05, 06:47 PM
GWood

There _are_ other frame designs than the Palomino/Maverick.

Guess it's not worth Trek's marketing and R&D to put together another
frameset for the Klein label. Heck, they could make a Cake or Fuel frame
with a few mods and offer different colors like the big car makers do. It
works (or used to) for GM and Ford.

Old October 31st 05, 07:16 PM
Ride-A-Lot

GWood wrote:
There _are_ other frame designs than the Palomino/Maverick.

Guess it's not worth Trek's marketing and R&D to put together another
frameset for the Klein label. Heck, they could make a Cake or Fuel frame
with a few mods and offer different colors like the big car makers do. It
works (or used to) for GM and Ford.

Maybe there license agreement with Maverick ended. Dontcha think?

Of course if you like the Palamino that much, you could still get the
same design from Maverick. Probably made better, too.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

The keywords are _used to_. There losing too much money on stretching
the same bodies across four brand names. That's why oldsmobile and
plymouth are gone from GM and Chrysler respectively. No sense in
carrying the same sh!t frame across bike labels. I don't think Trek has
made an effort to distinguish there brands with elite statuses. It's
not like Ford - Mercury - Lincoln. I don't think there is a
difference in quality between Trek, Gary Fisher, and Klein just
different designs. Not that there is a difference in quality with the
Ford POS's either, just price.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws