Why I carry a chain tool

Old May 19th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Why I carry a chain tool

I've never once had a chain failure, or even an issue, on my own bike. But
several times I've come across folk stranded on the road due to a mishap
that only a chain tool could fix. Today was one of those days.

At the base of Tunitas Creek (Northern California) my son and I came across
a group of three or four cyclists at the side of the road, and I asked, as I
usually do, if they had what they needed (works much better than asking if
they're OK, because rarely, it seems, will guys admit that something's
beyond their ability to deal with, but they have no issue admitting that
they need something, probably because that implies that it's in the realm of
an act of God that has them stranded).

Well, this guy had somehow managed to do a number on his rear derailleur and
break the replaceable dropout hanger. His bike wasn't going anywhere, as the
chain, without a derailleur attached, was going to be dragging on the ground
if he were to put it on the smaller chainring so he could get up the grade
ahead. That's where the chain tool came in. I was able to shorten his chain
enough to get it onto a front/rear combination that would allow him to make
it up the hill, which he did.

Other times I've help people with failed connector pins (fairly common) and
once with a chain that, due to a really nasty shift, had gotten bent
severely and had to have a few links removed.

It's not a bad thing for somebody in a group to have a chain tool. For what
it's worth, the one I use is the Topeak Hexus (used to be called the
Hummer).

You can see a picture of the "repair" here-
http://www.chainreaction.com/images/...hanger0139.jpg

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 19th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

| Did you just push a "regular" pin back in to connect the chain, or did you
| or someone else have a special link or pin?
|
| I always carry a chain tool, too -- prolly from my early years mtb-ing
when
| broken chains weren't all that uncommon -- but I wonder about these
| newfangled chains that supposedly /require/ a special pin or link.
|
| Bill "old school...is out" S.

It was a temporary fix, using one of the chain's original pins. Not ideal,
and remained a bit stiff, but got him to the top of the climb.

Old May 19th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 18, 7:30 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

If they chain already has a "power link" or equivalent, you can undo
it, shorten one side with the chaintool, and put it back together with
the link. (One of the many reasons I like them.)
Old May 19th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Robert Chung

On May 18, 5:16 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

You can see a picture of the "repair" here-
http://www.chainreaction.com/images/...hanger0139.jpg

You tell him his seat was too low?
Old May 19th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
| On May 18, 5:16 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
|
| You can see a picture of the "repair" here-
| http://www.chainreaction.com/images/...hanger0139.jpg
|
| You tell him his seat was too low?

I wasn't paying attention to his seat height, and I'm not sure there's
enough in that photo to tell. I can see where it might be, looking at his
left leg, but I can't see his left foot well enough to know if he's got a
strong toe-down position at that moment. Normally I'd be looking for a 90
degree included angle when the crank is roughly in line with the downtube
(45 degrees from parallel). Unusual femur lengths make the traditional
slightly-bent knee at bottom of the stroke less reliable. In any event, I'm
not so good at either one while a bike's on the move!

Old May 19th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

Great idea...unless a chain breaks fairly far from the special link. Can't
shorten it /that/ much!

I've got two powerlinks on my chain, but then I have a really long
chain too.
Old May 20th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tim McTeague

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
| Did you just push a "regular" pin back in to connect the chain, or did
you
| or someone else have a special link or pin?
|
| I always carry a chain tool, too -- prolly from my early years mtb-ing
when
| broken chains weren't all that uncommon -- but I wonder about these
| newfangled chains that supposedly /require/ a special pin or link.
|
| Bill "old school...is out" S.

It was a temporary fix, using one of the chain's original pins. Not ideal,
and remained a bit stiff, but got him to the top of the climb.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

But then, if the chain breaks while climbing, due to the re-use of an
existing pin, he decides to sue you for putting him in needless danger.
Good Samaritan laws notwithstanding. Maybe you should have had him sign a
waver before fixing his chain. Anyone think this would never happen?

Tim McTeague

Old May 21st 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On May 18, 7:16*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
part:

At the base of Tunitas Creek (Northern California) my son and I came across
a group of three or four cyclists at the side of the road, and I asked, as I
usually do, if they had what they needed (works much better than asking if
they're OK, because rarely, it seems, will guys admit that something's
beyond their ability to deal with, but they have no issue admitting that
they need something, probably because that implies that it's in the realm of
an act of God that has them stranded).

We can't admit it because, dammit! We're *guys*! I see that phenomenon
occur in another situation as well- when a guy gets lost in an
unfamiliar area. I don't know why it is but they will rarely ask
directions except as a last resort. That doesn't apply to me
personally of course because I have never been lost. I've occasionally
taken a more scenic route and I was confused once for two weeks on a
wilderness hike but lost? Never.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old May 21st 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

snip

It's not a bad thing for somebody in a group to have a chain tool. For what
it's worth, the one I use is the Topeak Hexus (used to be called the
Hummer).

Yeah, I carry a chain tool as well, and have only had to use it to help
others, including the dérailleur bypass. IIRC, it was in the same area,
between 1/2 Moon Bay and Santa Cruz. That's a bummer of a place to get
stuck as there's no place that you can buy any parts or tools for quite
a ways. Maybe the San Gregorio store should put in a selection of bike
stuff. Even my local Longs's Drug Store sells a selection of Park tools,
including a chain tool. I always wonder who's going to go to Long's to
buy Park tools.
Old May 22nd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 18, 10:23*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Brian Huntley wrote:
On May 18, 7:30 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

{snip Mike's Good Samaritan tale}

Did you just push a "regular" pin back in to connect the chain, or
did you or someone else have a special link or pin?

If they chain already has a "power link" or equivalent, you can undo
it, shorten one side with the chaintool, and put it back together with
the link. (One of the many reasons I like them.)

Great idea...unless a chain breaks fairly far from the special link. *Can't
shorten it /that/ much!

Ah, but we were discussing shortening a chain, not fixing a broken
one. I can barely remember the last time I had a chain actually break
- but I carry a spare power link when I'm touring, just in case.

Chain tool question Jeff[_4_] Techniques 14 September 23rd 07 10:48 PM
Chain Tool 101 Peter Clinch UK 0 July 3rd 06 09:40 AM
DIY CHAIN LINK TOOL [email protected] Techniques 5 January 10th 06 01:05 AM
chain tool design [email protected] Techniques 9 June 3rd 05 08:56 PM
Always carry your chain tool Just zis Guy, you know? UK 11 October 17th 03 05:06 PM