Cheap high-visibility vest for cyclists.

Old December 23rd 10, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

Default Cheap high-visibility vest for cyclists.

On Dec 23, 3:23*pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in . ..

Mrcheerful wrote:
I must be imagining the first post I looked at then from SW:
"This accident shows the danger of wearing so-called 'safety'
equipment, like hi-vis clothing and helmets, which give the rider an
illusion of security without making any difference in reality."

I didn't know SW was a cyclist ...

fair do's, I actually replied to his post too ..

I still think it's an absolute fallacy to think that cyclists think
that wearing Hi-Vis makes them less vulnerable. *I think it just gives
them more chance to be seen .. as said ..

Totally agree Paul. *That's the reason why road workers and traffic police
also wear high-visibility clothing.

According to Doug, the only reason that cyclists are made to use
lights is so they can be blammed if they have an accident.
Old December 23rd 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 23/12/2010 15:23, Mr. Benn wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

I must be imagining the first post I looked at then from SW:
"This accident shows the danger of wearing so-called 'safety'
equipment, like hi-vis clothing and helmets, which give the rider an
illusion of security without making any difference in reality."

I didn't know SW was a cyclist ...
fair do's, I actually replied to his post too ..
I still think it's an absolute fallacy to think that cyclists think
that wearing Hi-Vis makes them less vulnerable. I think it just gives
them more chance to be seen .. as said ..

Totally agree Paul. That's the reason why road workers and traffic police
also wear high-visibility clothing.

They must all be stupid.

Any fool here knows that the way to remain safe on the road is to be as
inconspicuous as possible, preferably invisible.
Old December 23rd 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

francis wrote:

On Dec 23, 3:23*pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in
. ..

Mrcheerful wrote:
I must be imagining the first post I looked at then from SW:
"This accident shows the danger of wearing so-called 'safety'
equipment, like hi-vis clothing and helmets, which give the

rider an illusion of security without making any difference in
reality."

I didn't know SW was a cyclist ...

fair do's, I actually replied to his post too ..

I still think it's an absolute fallacy to think that cyclists
think that wearing Hi-Vis makes them less vulnerable. *I think it
just gives them more chance to be seen .. as said ..

Totally agree Paul. *That's the reason why road workers and traffic
police also wear high-visibility clothing.

According to Doug, the only reason that cyclists are made to use
lights is so they can be blammed if they have an accident.

I thought Doug was electrically propelled ...

--
Paul - xxx
Old December 23rd 10, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
francis wrote:

On Dec 23, 3:23 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in
. ..

Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

Does Doug equal Davros?
he got around on wheels, electrically powered, single minded, disabled and
slightly unhinged, avoided stairs, required total obedience.............the
likeness is uncanny.

Old December 23rd 10, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Dec 23, 10:35*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
"Mr. Benn" wrote in message

Hi Viz safety vest at Poundland. *Absolute bargain.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hi-v...-poundland-i/8...

I bought one. *Go on, guess how much it was? ;-)

it will make you careless and have a crash, is it worth it? think of the
children.

I saw another triumph of 'Elf and Safetea' on yesterdays television,
shown in an item about christmas mail was a soldier shown in a combat
zone he was wearing full camoflage, helmet with camo net and twigs
carrying a weapon yet wearing a HI Vis vest.

I suppose the Taliban or whoever need the target illuminating.
Old December 24th 10, 05:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Dec 23, 12:09*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in .. .

Mrcheerful wrote:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Hi Viz safety vest at Poundland. *Absolute bargain.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hi-v...t-poundland-i/
833140#comments

I bought one. *Go on, guess how much it was? ;-)

it will make you careless and have a crash, is it worth it? think of
the children.

Why will it?

Doesn't make me do that when I have them in the car, why should it if I
wear one on a bike?

Having them in the car is not actually using them.

Yes it is, it makes other motorists consider you may be part of the
emergency services. This can be most useful when feeding into another
lane or emerging from a juction. I mean when using a jacket, a simple
vest generally does not help so much.

try reading some of the posts below, such as 'another that might have
lived...............' *apparently the rider was lulled into a false sense of
security 'because he was wearing a hi viz jacket' . *The psycholist attitude
seems to be that any safety equipment or sensible road use will increase
your likelihood of having an accident.

Old December 24th 10, 05:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Dec 23, 12:51*pm, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Hi Viz safety vest at Poundland. *Absolute bargain.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hi-v...t-poundland-i/
833140#comments

I bought one. *Go on, guess how much it was? ;-)

it will make you careless and have a crash, is it worth it? think
of the children.

Why will it?

Doesn't make me do that when I have them in the car, why should it
if I wear one on a bike?

Having them in the car is not actually using them.

It is when they're necessary. *All of ours have been used a couple of
times at least.

try reading some of the posts below, such as 'another that might have
lived...............' *apparently the rider was lulled into a false
sense of security 'because he was wearing a hi viz jacket' . *The
psycholist attitude seems to be that any safety equipment or sensible
road use will increase your likelihood of having an accident.

Bull****. *That's your spin on what you think others are thinking. *I
doubt you can find a post from a cyclist that explicity says "that any
safety equipment or sensible road use will increase your likelihood of
having an accident". *Or that any rider was "lulled into a false sense
of security 'because he was wearing a hi viz jacket'"

Most cyclists, me included, wear some safety equipment most times we go
out.

Trouser clips and a coat at this time of year, however short the
journey. A hat, scarf and gloves seem to help. I do still use my Sam
Browne (and reflective leg bands) as it screams "cyclist" in an urban
environment. Out in the sticks even pedestrians are sometimes seen to
use them.

*In my case it's 'cos I know some other myopic road users might
not see me .. but it doesn't make me feel any more secure, it just
allows me to use it in mitigation of my actions when/if some ****wit
puts me in hospital and the ambulance chasers try to get out of their
insurance claims.

--
Paul - xxx

Old December 24th 10, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Dec 23, 3:59*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in .. .

francis wrote:

On Dec 23, 3:23 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in
. ..

Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

likeness is uncanny.- Hide quoted text -

I always used to wonder why Daleks were so deadly? All you had to do
was run up a flight of stairs and they were b*gg*r*d. But in later
series of Dr Who, they could fly as well, which is a different
proposition.
Old December 24th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_5_]

On 23/12/2010 14:25, Paul - xxx wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

"Paul - wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:

"Paul - wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:

"Mr. wrote in message
Hi Viz safety vest at Poundland. Absolute bargain.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hi-v...-at-poundland-
i/
833140#comments

[...]

likelihood of having an accident". Or that any rider was "lulled
into a false sense of security 'because he was wearing a hi viz
jacket'"

I must be imagining the first post I looked at then from SW:
"This accident shows the danger of wearing so-called 'safety'
equipment, like hi-vis clothing and helmets, which give the rider an
illusion of security without making any difference in reality."

I didn't know SW was a cyclist ...

fair do's, I actually replied to his post too ..

I still think it's an absolute fallacy to think that cyclists think
that wearing Hi-Vis makes them less vulnerable. I think it just gives
them more chance to be seen .. as said ..

My worry would be , being mistaken for a stationary "worker" or Plod,
when I'm actually moving at 20MPH+.

HiVis is for pedestrians.
Old December 24th 10, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Mrcheerful wrote:

"Paul - *wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:

"Paul - *wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:

"Mr. *wrote in message
[...]

HiVis is for pedestrians.- Hide quoted text -

It is still better to be seen than unseen! I really don't understand
why psycholists prefer to ride in 'stealth' mode, unless it's so you
won't notice them breaking the law and the Highway Code!

Derek C