Breaking with convention

Old July 29th 12, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

Default Breaking with convention

I noticed during the TV coverage of the Olympic RR that there were frequent
shots showing riders taking a 'comfort break'. Finding a good 'spot' was
difficult for the riders because of the enormous crowds lining the route, in
places 30 deep. Also it was noticeable that the motorcycle riders and car
drivers were noticeably less clued up on where to be in a road race, inevitable
I suppose given GB's novice status in organizing these things. Still it was good
to see the massive support for the event.
"It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen," said German Andrè Greipel.
"There was not a single spot to pee."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olym...le-or-disaster

Old July 30th 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ursus_australis

--

One of the contributors to the apparent confusion was that most car drivers are accustomed to driving on the other side of the road in Europe and the USA plus most of the riders are also used to accessing team cars differently as well.

bjt
Old July 31st 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
yirgster

I think that's great. Hey, it's part of racing. As Greipel's comment shows. Claude Chabrol, french new wave director from days of yesteryear, did a short and sort of stream of consciousness documentary on the tour and, as I remember, he showed the call of nature.

Here's a pic from the vuelta: http://bit.ly/Qs6pBY

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Old July 31st 12, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 31/07/2012 01:32, yirgster wrote:
I think that's great. Hey, it's part of racing. As Greipel's comment shows. Claude Chabrol, french new wave director from days of yesteryear, did a short and sort of stream of consciousness documentary on the tour and, as I remember, he showed the call of nature.

Here's a pic from the vuelta: http://bit.ly/Qs6pBY

Let me know if it doesn't work.

It works if yoy have gmail, which is everyone I suppose, however the picture
would be no good for Anton Berlin because he'd want to see their willies.

Old July 31st 12, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
yirgster

the picture would be no good for Anton Berlin because
he'd want to see their willies.

Should I photoshop it? I wouldn't want Anton to be disappointed.

[ viewing photo requires gmail ]

This shouldn't be the case. I made it public to anyone with the link. Did you try from a browser where u weren't logged in to gmail or some other google account?

Thx.

Old July 31st 12, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
yirgster

Btw, the french documentary was by Louis Malle, not Chabrol: Vive Le Tour (1969). I think you can view it on line.

From the imdb.com summary:

A short documentary [18 min] about the 1962 Tour-de-France. Topics covered include: crowds of people and motorcycles, drinking raids and feeding, pileups, doping, "the charge," and the mountain stages.

I remember it as sort of stream on consciousness and not straight-line, so even tho only 18 minutes it took me a few minutes to get into it. I think the opening scene are faces in the crowd. But given my memory--as exemplified for confusing the director ...

One difference with today's tour (from a user review on imdb):

We can observe groups of racers dashing into small cafés along the route where they literally steal any glass bottles of beer or wine which they can carry away stuffed in their Jersey pockets.

Old July 31st 12, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 31/07/2012 18:42, yirgster wrote:

[ viewing photo requires gmail ]

This shouldn't be the case. I made it public to anyone with the link. Did you try from a browser where u weren't logged in to gmail or some other google account?

The problem was that I normally read my gmail from within Thunderbird so my
browser wasn't logged in automatically as weeks go by without me using it for
Googlemail. How common this is I don't know.

Doping Convention? MagillaGorilla[_2_] Racing 3 December 28th 08 03:24 AM
Crawley Convention! plumsie Unicycling 8 August 11th 06 06:43 PM
Scottish Convention fuzzy Unicycling 3 February 1st 06 10:02 PM
RBR convention TritonRider Racing 5 August 2nd 04 05:11 PM
URC convention... Succorso UK 2 September 20th 03 09:56 PM