does I'm tall = get a big wheel bike ???

Old February 24th 04, 12:19 AM
Kevin Graham

Default does I'm tall = get a big wheel bike ???

As per the following equation:

it's spring + $$$ + (no new bent for 3 years) + X + Y =
must buy new bent must buy new bent must......

anyway, since I'm 6 feet tall and so assume I'd fit the new big
wheel bikes ie Bacchetta/Volae/Force5, my question is, is there
any reason to consider, say, a rocket/V-rex anymore ???

Xs and Ys in the above equation:

prefer comfort over speed ( I'll settle for both :-) )
I cruise, don't hammer
ride on mostly flat, decent rodes
currently have a Linear Sonic and a Trek R200
take short rides 5----10 miles, occasionally 20

thanks, Kevin
Old February 24th 04, 04:24 AM
harv

Why don't you change the equation to add something low to the mix, Baron,
Jester, Hurricane, Taifun, Shockproof, Speedmachine , Zox, etc to the mix.
Hmmm, flat smooth roads...like to cruise...why not cruise a bit faster, a
bit lower.In the comfort department, some of the candidates I mentioned are
suspended. I am prejudiced tho. I have a Speedmachine. Could be renamed a
Smoothmachine.

Old February 24th 04, 11:01 PM
jim h

I will don my flame-proof suit to say that I still don't "get it" with
regard to the big-wheel bents. The argument over which is faster - small or
big front wheel - is ages old and whatever advantage either has must be
small. I don't like the higher center of gravity and I especially don't like
a high seat. I think the manufacturers themselves are puzzled as to why
they've caught on so big. Seems they appeal to the DF rider to whom a
typical 'bent just pins the geek-o-meter.

I admit I've only tried big-wheelers a couple of times and didn't go further
than around the block.

Old February 25th 04, 10:10 PM
jim h

If I had the money to blow, I'd try one. Certainly a lot of people get that
"buzz" - whether it's the higher BB, big front wheel or just the different
position, who knows. But the comparisons aren't totally fair - you probably
have better (lighter) wheels and tires on the Strada, right?

Old February 25th 04, 10:51 PM
karl swanson

I am 6'4", and I have had both a dual 26" (Optima Condor) and many 26/2
bikes (Haluzaks, my own carbon designs) and most recently a 700/45
(also my own carbon)

I prefer the smaller front wheel as a designer, as it allows me to kee
the seat height to a minimum, short of making a lowracer. I ride on th
street, and am looking for the ideal compromise (oxymoron?) betwee
street and speed. I find a lower seat to make traffic, starting an
stopping, and overall maneuverability more acceptable. At the same time
I haven't found it to be a sacrifice relative to speed. There is th
issue with two different spare tubes, though

With the Condor I was always worried about having to start an
restart....I know that the Bacchetta, Volae and Force 5's are a bette
big wheeled option, and have heard many say that they have no proble
with the height

I must say, there is something very nice about coming to a stop an
comfortably putting both feet down flat. There is also better visibilit
with the smaller front wheels, although that probably has much to d
with seat angle

I must confess, though, that I am currently making a dual 700c wit
indirect steering....mostly curious, that's all

Here are some pics of the 700/451 just fo
fun.http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/813479591Swanson Carbon 700/45

-

Old February 26th 04, 06:52 AM
Torben Scheel

"karl swanson" wrote in message
.. .
I must say, there is something very nice about coming to a stop and
comfortably putting both feet down flat.

Let alone putting both hands down.

Torben Orangutang Scheel

Old February 26th 04, 08:14 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Torben Scheel" skrev...

Let alone putting both hands down.

I'm aiming for no hands or feet.

Mikael, Levitationist
Old February 26th 04, 10:30 AM
Dave Larrington

Mikael Seierup wrote:

I'm aiming for no hands or feet.

Mikael, Levitationist

Easy. Did that for /hours/ last night AND watched TV at the same. The
third wheel helped a bit, obv.

--

Dave, tricyclist

Old February 27th 04, 02:24 AM
Joe Keenan

"jim h" wrote in message ...
If I had the money to blow, I'd try one. Certainly a lot of people get that
"buzz" - whether it's the higher BB, big front wheel or just the different
position, who knows. But the comparisons aren't totally fair - you probably
have better (lighter) wheels and tires on the Strada, right?

Jim,

I think the Strada wheels aren't anything exceptional. Won't be near
the Strada for a week or so...traveling.

he tires are the stock tires and rated 120 psi.

I had Stelvios on my other bent and those made a slight difference.
If you want I'll check the wheelset and let you know what it is.

Cheers

Slow Joe
Old February 27th 04, 03:22 PM
jim h

I think the Strada wheels aren't anything exceptional.

Well there's got to be 'something' going on because it seems like everyone
who gets one says they feel, or are, faster. Maybe it's greater stability -
gyroscopically and otherwise - of the big front wheel. It probably wanders
less at speed, resisting pedal steer and handlebar forces better than a 20".