Sentence Imposed for Killing Cyclist

Old February 3rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Sentence Imposed for Killing Cyclist

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3473532

Old February 3rd 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3473532

there you go, determination of the value of a human cyclist life!
Old February 3rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
The family did not push for jail time, and publicly forgave the driver.
Hard for the prosecution to push for jail time when that happens.

Personally, I don't think anyone with a "history of strokes" has any
business ever having a valid driver's license again, but if the culprit
can make some impact on others through the cycling-oriented community
service the judge ordered, then this was not completely for naught.

This is a really hard area to define. There are all sorts of
conditions, including simply aging, that have some impact of driver
effectiveness (safety). Yet, for many being able to drive is a key
componenet of living an independent life. My father is 86, has had a
couple of strokes, and to my mind should not have been driving for the
past 15 years.
But he hasn't had any accidents, and since he doesn't ever speed,
doesn't dring alcohol and doesn't use recreationa drugs it isn't clear
that even with his reduced reflexes and eysight that his driving is as
risky as some younger and "fitter' drivers.

However sad it is the fact is that there are true accidents, in the
sense that while mistakes may have been made they were not intentioanl
and the underlying behavior was not reckless. And I think society has
to deal with those differently from situations with underlying bad
behavior.

Old February 3rd 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article .net,
says...

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old February 4th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

gds wrote:
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

The family did not push for jail time, and publicly forgave the driver.
Hard for the prosecution to push for jail time when that happens.

Personally, I don't think anyone with a "history of strokes" has any
business ever having a valid driver's license again, but if the culprit
can make some impact on others through the cycling-oriented community
service the judge ordered, then this was not completely for naught.

This is a really hard area to define. There are all sorts of
conditions, including simply aging, that have some impact of driver
effectiveness (safety). Yet, for many being able to drive is a key
componenet of living an independent life. My father is 86, has had a
couple of strokes, and to my mind should not have been driving for the
past 15 years.

Here in Ontario, Canada a person with a history of strokes would
probably get a suspended-medical on their licence. My father-in-law has
COPD and they suspended his licence for medical reasons.

Invisible Cyclists in Solstice Dark Elisa Francesca Roselli General 766 January 31st 06 12:31 AM
Cyclist attcked in Sheffield! John UK 86 December 22nd 05 07:56 PM
Cyclist attacked in road rage incident. [email protected] UK 40 November 6th 05 09:09 PM
Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 11:09 AM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM