To change (the fork) or not to change, that's the question!

Old June 30th 05, 03:26 PM
Derk

Default To change (the fork) or not to change, that's the question!

Hi,

After the repair job on my fork/headset assembly, the irritating noise
stayed away for 1 day, but gradually I can hear it more often again.
I spoke to the mechanic about it and he told me:

The fork I have (the HSC4 SL, which is *NOT* the standard fork for the 461,
has a tapered "platform" and indeed a tapered ring was mounted on top of
the tapered part of the fork, though the manual clearly says not to do
this, since this ring is for the HSC4, that has a flat "platform".

He took the ring off, but couldn't mount the fork in the 461 frame without
the ring, since the fork touched the steerer tube without the ring. He
phoned the LOOK importer and they said that if it wouldn't fit otherwise he
should install the ring.

So, a ring that is also tapered sits on top of a tapered part of the fork.
Is it bpossible that the ring causes this "click" because it has moved or
so?

OK, I spoke to my LBS mechanics (who btw. were polishing a Canondale carbon
frame that was covered with sand) and they offered me the following:
they'll install a used original fork (HSC 4 with ring) to see if the noise
stays away then. If so, they'll install th eoriginal fork.

Do you think the above theory (ring on tapered part) is the probable cause
of the clicks I hear?

TIA! Derk