Autumn

Old September 11th 04, 12:40 AM
Claire Petersky

Default Autumn

You know its coming, faster and faster every day.

It starts by just wearing a light jacket in the morning. Riding in the first
fall rains. Putting the fenders and lights back on the bike. The last
official club event of the year. The first ride where your fingers turn numb
and you realize you need to go to the full-finger gloves. The first ride
where your legs are really, really cold, and you realize it's time to get
out the tights. Wearing a wool shirt as an outer layer -- then a wool shirt
with a fleece vest. The first day where you ride to work the entire ride in
the dark -- and all the way home in the dark, too. Booties on the day it
rains hard.

Then it's November. It rains, and rains, and rains. High of 43, low of 41,
the paper says, day after day. Endless rain, darkness, and a little voice in
your head says, "Mexico...Mexico...Mexico..."

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old September 11th 04, 01:30 AM
the black rose

Claire Petersky wrote:
[...]

Dang it, Claire, I already want to move to New Mexico and it's only
September! :-D

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 11th 04, 02:10 AM
S o r n i

Claire Petersky wrote:
You know its coming, faster and faster every day.

It starts by just wearing a light jacket in the morning. Riding in
the first fall rains. Putting the fenders and lights back on the
bike. The last official club event of the year. The first ride where
your fingers turn numb and you realize you need to go to the
full-finger gloves. The first ride where your legs are really, really
cold, and you realize it's time to get out the tights. Wearing a wool
shirt as an outer layer -- then a wool shirt with a fleece vest. The
first day where you ride to work the entire ride in the dark -- and
all the way home in the dark, too. Booties on the day it rains hard.

Then it's November. It rains, and rains, and rains. High of 43, low
of 41, the paper says, day after day. Endless rain, darkness, and a
little voice in your head says, "Mexico...Mexico...Mexico..."

We don't get the rain issue often here in San Diego, but on my solo night
mountain bike rides on Wednesdays the light goes on sooner and sooner.
Alas, two nights ago the light was turned on before I left the parking lot.

Bill "then we'll turn the clocks back and then will come knee and arm
warmers and vests and...well, SD still rocks" S.

Old September 11th 04, 11:31 AM
DRS

"S o r n i" wrote in message

[...]

Bill "then we'll turn the clocks back and then will come knee and arm
warmers and vests and...well, SD still rocks" S.

Yes, well. It's supposedly spring and we just had our second coldest day of
the year. Guess who got caught in the hail.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 12th 04, 05:31 AM
Tom Keats

In article .net,
"Claire Petersky" writes:

Then it's November. It rains, and rains, and rains. High of 43, low of 41,
the paper says, day after day. Endless rain, darkness, and a little voice in
your head says, "Mexico...Mexico...Mexico..."

"Weekend, weekend, weekend," anyways. I've gotta go up to my
brother's ranch in the BC Interior for Canadian Thanksgiving.

The turkey will be one he raised & killed, himself.
Probably a gimped one, because his good ones go to market.
I hope I get the sole drumstick. I like turkey dark meat.

Anyhow, I find bakery confections with flakey pastry are
especially wonderful in the autumn. I just hate the fog.

But, hey -- mushrooms!

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old September 12th 04, 12:55 PM
Peter Cole

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Hey, living in Seattle & complaining about rain doesn't add up, didn't anybody
tell you before you moved? Personally, I hate cold rain more than any other
conditions, I'll take the single digit winter rides we get in Boston first.
Fortunately, our autumn tends to be dry (usual disclaimers about NE weather),
that, and the foliage, make it arguably the best cycling season. It *almost*
compensates for the shortening days. To me, the real end of the season is when
the clocks fall back. I don't grumble about the weather so much as the
latitude. Oh well, London is worse...

Old September 12th 04, 03:33 PM
Claire Petersky

"Peter Cole" wrote in message

Hey, living in Seattle & complaining about rain doesn't add up, didn't

anybody
tell you before you moved?

You mean, before my great-grandparents came here 114 years ago? Me, I didn't
have much say in the matter. Popped out of my mother, and here I was.

To me, the real end of the season is when
the clocks fall back.

Yes, and it's dark, dark, dark.

Sorry, it's just been such a lovely summer, I'm having problems letting it
go.

Old September 12th 04, 08:04 PM
the black rose

Claire Petersky wrote:
Sorry, it's just been such a lovely summer, I'm having problems letting it
go.

I can relate to that.

Up here in upstate NY, we didn't really have a summer. More like an
extended spring. A very wet, extended spring. Our July was the second
wettest on record by only a few hundredths of an inch. But the fall is
turning lovely, and it's warmer than the summer was. That's gonna be
hard to let go of. I'm a weenie who doesn't like to be cold.

-km

Old September 13th 04, 02:14 AM
dreaded

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
link.net.\

snip- Riding in the first fall rains. Putting the fenders and lights back on
the bike. The last
official club event of the year.

no club events in the winter? do they not ride in the rain? i was thinking
about joining a club ride for the first time. am i too late? the weather
here isn't that bad. i grew up in phenix and i love it in seattle, like the
winter better than hot weather and the fall is the best. BTW the atmospheric
scientist on the radio said last week that this year is shaping up to be an
el nino because the southern pacific temps are warmer than normal. for us in
seattle that means drier and warmer than normal...
-alan

Old September 13th 04, 02:52 PM
Claire Petersky

"dreaded" wrote in message
"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
link.net.\

snip- Riding in the first fall rains. Putting the fenders and lights back

on
the bike. The last
official club event of the year.

no club events in the winter?

Club rides, yes, every day, and multiple choices at different levels on the
weekends. But events? Once we have the Kitsap Color Classic October 3, 2004,
that's it, until the Chilly Hilly in February.