Cures for a slipping seat post?

Old November 24th 03, 12:59 AM
Slacker

Default Cures for a slipping seat post?

Last couple of rides (only 11 mi ea) I've noticed that my seat post is
slipping about 1-1.5" The QR binder bolt is about as tight as I can get it,
but it's still slipping.

I'm not sure if this is a product of a worn seat tube or seat post, maybe
both?
How do tell?
Can a Thomson cure this?
If not, how exactly do you use those shims, and how do you determine what
size shim to use.

Also, any recommendations on a shim (manf'r), if it comes to that?

Frame: i-drive 2000-01 LE
Seat Post: Syncros (stock OEM) 31.6mm

I used to think, the larger the seat post the better, but know I see why
some of the better frame makers use a smaller diameter tubing.

And if any of you even suggest contacting GT/Pacific for help, you deserve a
big, punk rocker, pit stomping boot to the head!

Thanks
--
Slacker

Old November 24th 03, 01:27 AM
Chris

"Slacker" wrote in message
[...]

First, I maintain Thomson only makes the second best post around...go
RaceFace Diabolus or XY/XYO (O if no setback is desired).

Second, shims are used to adapt too-small posts to seat tubes. But, only
when they're clearly too small, like a 26.8 in a 27.2 hole. Maybe you could
use a square of beer can to make up the difference.

Make sure you've greased it, too. Always lube before insertion - a handy
rule of "thumb".

Chris

Old November 24th 03, 01:38 AM
Firewalker

Make sure you've greased it, too. Always lube before insertion - a handy
rule of "thumb".

or any other body part...

---

Old November 24th 03, 01:41 AM
Michael Dart

"Slacker" wrote in message
[...]

Try a Salsa leverlock binder. I had a case of Thomson slippage in my Tracer
and this cured it. I wouldn't shim it but the beer can suggestion may work.
Drink a few before riding and you won't care if your seatpost slips.

Pacific for help?....hahahheheheHAHAHAHAHA...BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Mike - old huh?! ;^p```

Old November 24th 03, 01:52 AM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:59:23 -0800, "Slacker"
wrote:

Last couple of rides (only 11 mi ea) I've noticed that my seat post

is
slipping about 1-1.5" The QR binder bolt is about as tight as I can

get it,
but it's still slipping.

Remove QR.

Loosen QR.

Cut aluminum can to make a shim.

Place shim around seat tube, place QR on top of shim.

TIghten accordingly.

If it's still too loose, add another shim between QR and seat tube.

It's an Ellsworth trick since the seat tubes on man of their frames
are over spec and some seatposts (Easton) are under spec.
Old November 24th 03, 04:56 AM
Sorni

"Slacker" wrote in message
[...]

1) 86 the QR and try a "regular" seat post collar/binder.

2) Take post to LBS (or do yourself) and have it knurled a bit.

3) Do the beer can shim thing.

4) Contact GT/Pacific for help (just for fun).

Bill "blinkie clamp can also help" S.

Old November 24th 03, 06:01 AM
Slacker

1) 86 the QR and try a "regular" seat post collar/binder.

It's integrated into the seatpost, so I'm not sure that's an option

2) Take post to LBS (or do yourself) and have it knurled a bit.

What is this knurling you speak of??
--
Slacker

Old November 24th 03, 06:12 AM
Slacker

Try a Salsa leverlock binder. I had a case of Thomson slippage in my
Tracer
and this cured it. I wouldn't shim it but the beer can suggestion may

work.
Drink a few before riding and you won't care if your seatpost slips.

Pacific for help?....hahahheheheHAHAHAHAHA...BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Mike - old huh?! ;^p```

This http://cambriabike.com/qr/salsa_flip...der_skewer.htm ?

A few beers... Whaddaya trying to get me naykid!
--
Slacker

Old November 24th 03, 06:25 AM
John Morgan

Also, any recommendations on a shim (manf'r), if it comes to that?

Frame: i-drive 2000-01 LE
Seat Post: Syncros (stock OEM) 31.6mm

Try a new seatpost with a diameter of 31.8mm. Any brand.

http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=30

Titec black knoc rated - $15

-John Morgan

Old November 24th 03, 06:26 AM
Sorni

"Slacker" wrote in message
1) 86 the QR and try a "regular" seat post collar/binder.

It's integrated into the seatpost, so I'm not sure that's an option

2) Take post to LBS (or do yourself) and have it knurled a bit.

What is this knurling you speak of??

Either just "roughing up" the surface so it's not so slippery, or actually
deforming it slightly so it gets pinched in the hole.

Bill "threw that last phrase in just for Jonesy" S.