There are tyre levers, and tyre levers

Old February 19th 11, 04:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Owen

Default There are tyre levers, and tyre levers

http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/im...oken_lever.jpg

Had a couple of sets of really good levers, but lost them over time.
Anyway, having trouble with a tyre decided to try a lever that came in
a kit from an unnamed German controlled store.

Lasted a microsecond.

In all my years, never ever had a lever break. Oh well, always a first
time.

Owen
Old February 19th 11, 05:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 19/02/2011 2:43 PM, Owen wrote:
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/im...oken_lever.jpg

Looks like the lever which came from a tube repair kit I bought from
KMart
I stopped using them cos they became softer and softer after 5-6 times
I could almost bend them over doubled!!

Had a couple of sets of really good levers, but lost them over time.
Anyway, having trouble with a tyre decided to try a lever that came in
a kit from an unnamed German controlled store.

Had a good set from Schwabe which clipped together to form a nice
compact set but the daughter scored them off me.

Current ones are Michellin and not as nice as the Schwabes and kinda ok.
Old February 19th 11, 11:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

Owen wrote:
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/im...oken_lever.jpg

Had a couple of sets of really good levers, but lost them over time.
Anyway, having trouble with a tyre decided to try a lever that came in
a kit from an unnamed German controlled store.

Lasted a microsecond.

In all my years, never ever had a lever break. Oh well, always a first
time.

Owen

There is a technique in removing a tyre - not just using the levers to
force the bead over the rim. Loosen the tyre fully and make sure the
tube hasn't been caught under the bead. Start and finish at the valve.

Some tyres can be removed by hand and I usually replace all tyres by hand.

I have one plastic lever (has clip molded on) clipped on the seat tube -
has never failed.
Old February 20th 11, 04:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2011-02-19, Rob (aka Bruce)
Owen wrote:
Had a couple of sets of really good levers, but lost them over time.
Anyway, having trouble with a tyre decided to try a lever that came in
a kit from an unnamed German controlled store.

Lasted a microsecond.

In all my years, never ever had a lever break. Oh well, always a first
time.

There is a technique in removing a tyre - not just using the levers to
force the bead over the rim. Loosen the tyre fully and make sure the
tube hasn't been caught under the bead. Start and finish at the valve.

Some tyres can be removed by hand and I usually replace all tyres by hand.

I have one plastic lever (has clip molded on) clipped on the seat tube -
has never failed.

I have a set of plastic levers that has lasted 15 years.

I have a set apparently made from cheese that easily bent and broke
the first time I used it.

Cheap crap is cheap crap.

--
TimC
Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek. --unknown
Old February 20th 11, 04:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 20/02/2011 9:06 AM, Rob wrote:
Owen wrote:
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/im...oken_lever.jpg

Some tyres can be removed by hand and I usually replace all tyres by hand.

Funny you should say that cos I was just thinking the other day about he
tyres on heCannondale (you know the one I told yer about having 2
punctures on the same day?)

Well, the tyre appears to be quite tight on the rim and was a bit of a
bugger to remove and replace. This led me to think that maybe the rims
on the Cannondale might be a tad bigger than normal or the tyre might be
a smiggin too small for the rim.

I have not had time to measure things out just yet but it made me think
that perhaps there is a reason for slightly larger rims or slightly
smaller tyres. Is there?

I have one plastic lever (has clip molded on) clipped on the seat tube -
has never failed.

Well, if you only ever use your hands to remove and replace tyres, that
lever ain't NEVER gonna fail, eh? I'm not as look as I'm dumb
Although .....
Old February 20th 11, 05:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_7_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message ...
On 20/02/2011 9:06 AM, Rob wrote:
Owen wrote:
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/im...oken_lever.jpg

Some tyres can be removed by hand and I usually replace all tyres by hand.

Funny you should say that cos I was just thinking the other day about he
tyres on heCannondale (you know the one I told yer about having 2
punctures on the same day?)

Well, the tyre appears to be quite tight on the rim and was a bit of a
bugger to remove and replace. This led me to think that maybe the rims
on the Cannondale might be a tad bigger than normal or the tyre might be
a smiggin too small for the rim.

I have not had time to measure things out just yet but it made me think
that perhaps there is a reason for slightly larger rims or slightly
smaller tyres. Is there?

I have a pair of Zipp wheels that seem to be a bit bigger than other rims I have.

Moved tyres from some Velocity rims to the Zipps (and vice versa). Zipps
definitely more of a challenge. I don't think it's due to the internal depth of
the rim, but I'm definitely not taking the tyres off to check.

Trying to work out how I'd measure the diameter accurately...

T.
Old February 20th 11, 05:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_7_]

. au...

On 20/02/2011 9:06 AM, Rob wrote:
Owen wrote:
[...]

Worked out how to do that. Same was as you measure the height of your
children - stand on floor, mark on wall...

Old February 20th 11, 05:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 20/02/2011 2:56 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 20/02/2011 9:06 AM, Rob wrote:
Owen wrote:
[...]

The critical word is SOME tyres.
Old February 20th 11, 05:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 20/02/2011 9:06 AM, Rob wrote:
Owen wrote:
[...]

I bought some smooth tyres that were definitely too small to replace my
cross country tyres had a bugger of a time tryiny to fit them then took
back and asked would they fit them - finally come home with another
brand - cos I would never be able to remove them on the road to make a
repair.
Old February 20th 11, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Geoff Lock wrote:
On 20/02/2011 9:06 AM, Rob wrote:
Owen wrote:
[...]

You mean you are as not as green as you are cabbage lookin.

good tyre levers? bugbear UK 22 November 10th 06 11:14 AM
From Shimano Sora levers to 105 levers or Campy Mirage levers? none Techniques 32 September 3rd 05 12:50 PM
Plastic tyre levers... Simon Mason UK 30 June 30th 04 06:20 AM
Tyre failure example (with an aside on tyre liners) Andrew Webster Techniques 16 December 12th 03 04:59 AM
Tyre failure and tyre liners Andrew Webster Techniques 5 December 4th 03 09:26 PM