MTB bar ends or not

Old October 27th 04, 01:34 PM
Rik O'Shea

Default MTB bar ends or not

If I'm not mistaken this MTB racer is using standard bar ends
in the middle of his handle bars - am I right or is this a special
attachment ? Anyone ever tried it ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...hy/stage6/7890
Old October 27th 04, 03:08 PM
Ronald

If I'm not mistaken this MTB racer is using standard bar ends
in the middle of his handle bars - am I right or is this a special
attachment ? Anyone ever tried it ?

I don't think it's that easy. Most MTB bars have thinner ends so
standard bar ends won't fit in the middle of the bar.

om...

Old October 27th 04, 03:16 PM
Marty Wallace

"Ronald" wrote in message
If I'm not mistaken this MTB racer is using standard bar ends
in the middle of his handle bars - am I right or is this a special
attachment ? Anyone ever tried it ?

I don't think it's that easy. Most MTB bars have thinner ends so
standard bar ends won't fit in the middle of the bar.

"Rik O'Shea" wrote in message
om...
If I'm not mistaken this MTB racer is using standard bar ends
in the middle of his handle bars - am I right or is this a special
attachment ? Anyone ever tried it ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...hy/stage6/7890

I have a set something like that. there was a bit of a fad for a while on
road bikes but i think they may be outlawed now. They were legal in racing
as long as they don't protude past the normal handlebar curves. I put some
on my mountain bike and with a small set of pads they are really comfortable
and aero and you can really cover some distance quick.

Marty

Old October 27th 04, 04:56 PM
Sheldon Brown

Rik O'Shea wrote:

If I'm not mistaken this MTB racer is using standard bar ends
in the middle of his handle bars - am I right or is this a special
attachment ? Anyone ever tried it ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...hy/stage6/7890

Yes, I've got my own IRO Jamie Roy fixie set up with something like
that, and I like it very much. I'm using some cool Thorn carbon "bar
ends" in the middle, with Cane Creek stubbies on the ends.

The middle "bar ends" provide a good sort of "time trial" position, very
nice for fighting headwinds.

"Ronald" wrote:

I don't think it's that easy. Most MTB bars have thinner ends so
standard bar ends won't fit in the middle of the bar.

Yes, that is a problem with most newer MTB bars, due to the popular
"bulge" design. Those also make it hard to mount the brake levers as
far inboard as I prefer.

Older MTB bars didn't have this bulge. They were 7/8" (22.2 mm) all the
way along, witha shim or sleeve to fit the standard 1" (25.4 mm) stem
clamp.

My Iro has an older Merlin Ti bar, which uses a shim.

Sheldon "Nothing Exceeds Like Excess" Brown
+----------------------------------+
| Good health is nothing but the |
| slowest way to die. -Les Barker |
+----------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old October 28th 04, 12:09 AM
Ron Hardin

Sheldon Brown wrote:
The middle "bar ends" provide a good sort of "time trial" position, very
nice for fighting headwinds.

The best headwind fighter is an airspeed indicator _and no speedometer_. Instead
of feeling you're crawling along that day, you marvel at the increased speed. Wind
whistles past your ears.

On days with a tailwind, you marvel instead at how fast you're going past rock
and tree.

Airspeed indicator
http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

I don't know if it's waterproof or not. I've been assuming not on mine.

It says it works by the doppler effect, which is certainly wrong, there being
no doppler shift with wind. It's almost certainly measuring the wavelength
change by comparing inphase and quadrature amplitudes a small distance from
its ultrasonic transmitter.
--
Ron Hardin

Old October 28th 04, 01:12 AM
Marty Wallace

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message Airspeed indicator
http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

I don't know if it's waterproof or not. I've been assuming not on mine.

It says it works by the doppler effect, which is certainly wrong, there

being
no doppler shift with wind. It's almost certainly measuring the

wavelength
change by comparing inphase and quadrature amplitudes a small distance

from
its ultrasonic transmitter.

So isn't the wavelength change a Doppler shift?

Marty

--
Ron Hardin

Old October 28th 04, 01:22 AM
DRS

"Marty Wallace" wrote in message
om.au
"Ronald" wrote in message
If I'm not mistaken this MTB racer is using standard bar ends
in the middle of his handle bars - am I right or is this a special
attachment ? Anyone ever tried it ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?i...hy/stage6/7890

I have a set something like that. there was a bit of a fad for a
while on road bikes but i think they may be outlawed now.

You're thinking of the Cinnelli mini-aerobars. They were outlawed for road
racing about five minutes after they came out. I've got a set of the BBB
ripoffs. Most useful. However, the set in the picture are curved like
standard bar ends.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 28th 04, 01:45 AM
Ron Hardin

Marty Wallace wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message Airspeed indicator
http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

I don't know if it's waterproof or not. I've been assuming not on mine.

It says it works by the doppler effect, which is certainly wrong, there

being
no doppler shift with wind. It's almost certainly measuring the

wavelength
change by comparing inphase and quadrature amplitudes a small distance

from
its ultrasonic transmitter.

So isn't the wavelength change a Doppler shift?

No, the frequency is unchanged.
--
Ron Hardin

Old October 28th 04, 04:43 AM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:45:19 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Marty Wallace wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message Airspeed indicator
http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

I don't know if it's waterproof or not. I've been assuming not on mine.

It says it works by the doppler effect, which is certainly wrong, there

being
no doppler shift with wind. It's almost certainly measuring the

wavelength
change by comparing inphase and quadrature amplitudes a small distance

from
its ultrasonic transmitter.

So isn't the wavelength change a Doppler shift?

No, the frequency is unchanged.

Dear Ron,

This may be the utlrasonic anemometer technology:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=2&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=89&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=ultrason ic&s2='wind+speed'&OS=ultrasonic+AND+"wind+speed"& RS=ultrasonic+AND+"wind+speed"

or http://tinyurl.com/6npqq

Carl Fogel
Old October 28th 04, 05:06 AM

wrote:

Marty Wallace wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message Airspeed indicator
http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

I don't know if it's waterproof or not. I've been assuming not on mine.

It says it works by the doppler effect, which is certainly wrong, there

being
no doppler shift with wind. It's almost certainly measuring the

wavelength
change by comparing inphase and quadrature amplitudes a small distance

from
its ultrasonic transmitter.

So isn't the wavelength change a Doppler shift?

No, the frequency is unchanged.

Dear Ron,

When I browsed for sonic anemometers, this sort of thing
came up:

"The EPA also uses sonic anemometers at some stations. Sonic
anemometers operate on the principal that the speed of wind
affects the time it takes for sound to travel from one point
to another. If the sound is travelling in the direction of
the wind then the transit time is decreased. "

"Conversely, if it is travelling in the opposite direction
to the wind the transit time is increased. Sonic anemometers
emit sound waves, record the time taken to receive the wave
at the other end of the instrument, then convert the value
into the wind speed. By monitoring the speed of sound along
two different axes, wind direction is also able to be
measured."

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/environmen...ological_data/

I still want one for Christmas.

Carl Fogel