torker lx hub replacement

Old February 3rd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default torker lx hub replacement

Well, my first love is injured. My 2004 Torker LX hub has a stripped
bolt on one side. So I'm thinking about buying a replacement hub and
having my LBS lace it up. I measured the hub flange-to-flange, and
it's roughly 60mm. So, it looks like the Suzue 'hubs at uni.com'
(http://tinyurl.com/7frxc) are the only ones that will fit. Are these
hubs reasonably strong for freestyle and relatively light street
riding? (Or, maybe I should abandon the Torker and get a new frame to
match a better hub?)

Also, I notice that these hubs have 40mm OD bearings. Is that pretty
standard? As long as I get the bearings that come with the hub, the ID
doesn't matter for rest of the uni, right?

Sorry if my questions seem kind of basic, but this is the first time
I've had to replace broken parts on a uni.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old February 3rd 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Doesn't anyone have any answers? Hasn't anyone abused a Suzue hub?

Old February 3rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The Suzue hubs should be fine for freestyle, although I think you can
probably fit the unicycle.com square taper hub also. 40mm OD is the
standard on non-splined hubs, though splined hubs now seem to be using
42mm mostly.

--
tholub

Old September 22nd 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wheel-addict

Hi phlegm,

Did you end up getting the Suzue hub from UDC? I think this is the
only hub UDC sells that will theoretically work with the Torker LX.
Unfortunately UDC list very little measurement info with their parts,
so I can't tell if the hub will work with my existing LX spokes.

There seems to be no info on these forums about somebody actually
fixing a broken LX hub. Everybody says to just get a new uni. Well, I
already have three other bomb-proof unis, but I want to fix the LX and
give it to somebody who wants to learn to ride.

- Mark

--
wheel-addict
Old September 22nd 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Re-using the same spokes is probably not worth it. It's a big pain in
the butt to de-lace a wheel without bending the spokes.

I don't think you should replace your uni because your hub failed, but
you'll be better off buying a hub and spokes rather than trying to
re-use your spokes.

--
tholub
Old September 22nd 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

wheel-addict wrote:
Hi phlegm,

Did you end up getting the Suzue hub from UDC? I think this is the
only hub UDC sells that will theoretically work with the Torker LX.
Unfortunately UDC list very little measurement info with their parts,
so I can't tell if the hub will work with my existing LX spokes.

There seems to be no info on these forums about somebody actually
fixing a broken LX hub. Everybody says to just get a new uni. Well, I
already have three other bomb-proof unis, but I want to fix the LX and
give it to somebody who wants to learn to ride.

- Mark

Wow, this is an old thread. I didn't fix this until recently.

I actually ended up getting a UDC wide hub, which is technically too
wide, but the frame flexes enough to work. I reused the spokes--48 new
spokes are expensive for such a cheap uni. And I used a dremel to grind
away part of the bearing holders so that the hub could spin freely,
otherwise the spokes rub against the frame.

--
phlegm
Old September 22nd 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wheel-addict

Hi Phlegm. Thanks for the reply. I'm sure all Torker LX owners with
busted hubs (just a matter of time I bet) appreciate this info. I
would never have thought to try flexing the frame. Did you decide that
the Susze was not the right fit for your spokes (flange too high) or did
you just want a stronger hub? I just measured the center-of-hole to
center-of-hole stock LX hub flange diameter and it is about 55 mm.

Just to be clear, I assume this is the hub your ordered?
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=794

I'll post what I end up doing for the benefit of other LX owners.

Thom, thanks for your advice on the spoke business. I'm sure it's
wise, but I agree with Phlegm that since this is such a cheap uni, it's
not worth spending the extra money for new spokes if possible.

- M

--
wheel-addict
Old September 22nd 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

wheel-addict wrote:
Did you decide that the Susze was not the right fit for your spokes
(flange too high) or did you just want a stronger hub?

I think it was a bit of both. I certainly didn't want to buy 48 new
spokes, and I think crank bolts are a better design than crank nuts.
My Torker LX hub was damaged by stripping it with a crank nut, and it
was trickier to use a crank extractor with it.

That is the hub that I ordered.

--
phlegm
Old September 23rd 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

New spokes, hub rim, all assembled etc.

http://tinyurl.com/4dsc9f

|Filename: 128299.jpg |

feel the light

Once upon a Torker caw89 Unicycling 21 August 12th 05 07:04 PM
Kryptonite replacement - finally! Andrew Reddaway Australia 9 July 12th 05 10:47 AM
Kryptonite replacement locks for Australia SteveA Australia 2 May 10th 05 02:04 AM
Torker Airsaddle on KH fluffinator007 Unicycling 7 January 16th 04 12:46 AM
i now hate my torker kiddie seat ubersquish Unicycling 6 October 27th 03 05:56 PM