Saddle Rebuilding

Old November 5th 05, 10:48 PM
Eroick

Default Saddle Rebuilding

Hello, I have an old Norco Uni that someone gave me. The saddle is very
unconforable !
So, I want to rebuild the saddle. Im thinking of using foam. The cover
of that saddle is held in by clips. I think I have to open them up and
then hammer them back down when im done. Also, would it be a good idea
to tape a tire tube in there and make an air saddle? I've heard about
this being done.

Also, can i use standard crap bike pedals on my uni? The pedals are
crap and they are falling apart.

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

Old November 6th 05, 01:02 AM
unicyclerpunk

why not just buy an air saddle? Go ahead and use what ever type pedals
on your uni...as long as they fit

--
unicyclerpunk
unicyclerpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11009

Old November 6th 05, 04:07 AM
john_childs

What kind (brand) of saddle do you have? Can you find it anywhere on
Unicycle.com 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/fg8)?
Does it look anything like this?

|Filename: savageunicycleseat.jpg |

john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old November 6th 05, 04:30 AM
Eroick

Yes, that is it! Only mine is much more damaged :P

Another question, anyone ever heard of trace unicycles?

Old November 6th 05, 05:09 AM
john_childs

Eroick wrote:
Yes, that is it! Only mine is much more damaged :P

It's not worth rebulding. That saddle is evil. It's a bad design. It
is very uncomfortable. The metal plate underneath can literally cut
your legs. The padding used gives no support. It's one of the worst
unicycle saddles.

Best option is to buy a new saddle. Unfortunately you'll also need a
new seatpost cause the seatpost used with the Savage won't fit any
other saddles. So you'll end up spending about $30 - $50 or more on a
new saddle and seatpost.

A new Torker LX is about $75 on eBay plus S&H. And it'll come with new
pedals and a good seat. Could be worth it when you consider the
upgrade cost for your current unicycle.

If you really must fix up the old seat you can use several layers of
carpet pad foam. Cut it to fit. When you take the seat apart put a
couple layers of tape over the edges of the metal seat base to protect
your legs from getting cut. Put it all back together. You should be
able to pry open the clips using a screwdriver.

Old November 6th 05, 05:13 AM
Eroick

Thanks for the help.
I think im going to buy a new seat/post. There is a local store that
sells unicycles, so im hoping that they sell seats/posts also! If not,
I might order from Bedford or something, I'm in Canada, and the
shipping fees are crazy!

Maybe I will rebuild it for fun?
Or not, I want a new one! Any recomendations? (I have no clue what I
can and will get)

Old November 6th 05, 05:17 AM
Eroick

Also, Im considering getting a new Uni later on this year. Im thinking
of using the norco as a crappy road uni and buying a nice new MUni!

Old November 6th 05, 05:41 AM
john_childs

Any saddle will be better than what you've got.

You'll have to pay attention to seatpost diameter. You've probably got
a 22.2mm (same as 7/8") diameter seatpost. Some unicycles, like the
Torkers, are now coming with 25.4mm (same as 1") seatposts. So you'll
need to make sure you get the correct diameter seatpost for your uni.
You'll just have to see what the bike shop has and if they have any of
the right size.

The only other seat to avoid would be this one for the 'Torker CX'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=241). It's a small
saddle. It's fine for 7 year olds but too small for teens and adults.
The other Torker saddles are all fine (for the LX and DX).

Any of the Kris Holm or Velo saddles or look-alikes are good.

The Viscount saddle has a good shape but it rather firm and gets
uncomfortable for longer rides. But if you're not sitting on it for an
hour or more at a time it's a fine saddle and one of the lower cost
options.

Old November 6th 05, 05:54 AM
Spudman

semi-off-topic, but how do the bolt patterns compare for Kris Holm,
torker lx, dx, velo and vicount seats? I'm pretty sure that they are
not all compatable to the same seatposts, but I'm not sure which ones
fit what.

--
Spudman

|[/b] B B *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FLY :COOL:
*|* I O *|* THIS SPACE OWNED BY FREES*TYLER!*
*|* L A *|* *MERCYME OWNS THIS SPACE!!!
[b]|* L R *|* This space owned by unijesse
*|* - D *|* This space rendered by forrest
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

Old November 6th 05, 07:55 PM
loosejello

There are 2 main bolt patterns for unicycle seats.

1. Standard 4-bolt pillar bracket: Kris Holm, Velo, Torker DX, Schwinn,
Torker CX, Viscount, Semcycle.

2. Miyata style: Miyata, Torker LX.

Basically, if it doesn't fit a Miyata seatpost, it'll fit a standard
4-bolt.

--
loosejello
loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295