Watts produced by a trained cyclist

Old January 16th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Watts produced by a trained cyclist

Hi,

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling perormance
was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over 400 Watts and I
can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear wheel. More now than in
summer, because it was still freezing yesterday. I wondered in what
category he is, given th efact that he produces 400 watts. Could anyone
tell me if this is a very good score or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29
bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

Greets, Derk
Old January 16th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling
perormance was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over
400 Watts and I can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear
wheel. More now than in summer, because it was still freezing
yesterday. I wondered in what category he is, given th efact that he
produces 400 watts. Could anyone tell me if this is a very good score
or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29 bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

He's a freak. Avoid him.

:-D

Bill "if you can't beat 'em, shun 'em" S.

Old January 16th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling perormance
was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over 400 Watts and I
can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear wheel. More now than in
summer, because it was still freezing yesterday. I wondered in what
category he is, given th efact that he produces 400 watts. Could anyone
tell me if this is a very good score or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29
bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

Greets, Derk

Sounds like he's in pretty good shape. How much power did he average
for one minute or one hour? Long term power is more important for
maintaining speed.

FWIW: Sam Whittingham averaged around 275 watts for one hour when he
was trying to set the HPV hour record. Here's the writeup:
http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages/lib/libtexas.html

Jeff

Old January 16th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling perormance
was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over 400 Watts and I
can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear wheel. More now than in
summer, because it was still freezing yesterday. I wondered in what
category he is, given th efact that he produces 400 watts. Could anyone
tell me if this is a very good score or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29
bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

Greets, Derk

Max output, what method was used (SMA?)? Usually max output doesn't mean
much. What counts is the power he can produce over a longer period. If
this is 400 Watt, then that's is a lot.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old January 16th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling perormance
was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over 400 Watts and I
can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear wheel. More now than in
summer, because it was still freezing yesterday. I wondered in what
category he is, given th efact that he produces 400 watts. Could anyone
tell me if this is a very good score or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29
bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

400W over a 25-mile time trial is elite category. It would get a time
well under the hour.
Old January 16th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:14:10 +0100, Derk
wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling perormance
was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over 400 Watts and I
can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear wheel. More now than in
summer, because it was still freezing yesterday. I wondered in what
category he is, given th efact that he produces 400 watts. Could anyone
tell me if this is a very good score or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29
bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

Does he have a copy of To Serve Man[1] in his bookcase[2]? Your stats
are within the range for a well-trained athlete. His are off the end
of the bell curve.

[1] The one that's not in any known language for thsi planet.

[2] We won'r discuss the fact that there's a copy of the locally
produced version of this tome in my kitchen.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 16th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling perormance
was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over 400 Watts and I
can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear wheel. More now than in
summer, because it was still freezing yesterday. I wondered in what
category he is, given th efact that he produces 400 watts. Could anyone
tell me if this is a very good score or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29
bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

A figure I've heard quoted is that Chris Boardman could average 442
watts for an hour. That's a different ball game to peaking at over 400,
unless it was a very flat peak.

Both of you may need to explain that you're fit, not dyeing, if you end
up in hospital attached to a heart monitor.

--
JimP
Old January 16th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:

Yesterday I did a 60 km ride with a friend of mine, whose cycling perormance
was tested some time ago in a lab. His max output was over 400 Watts and I
can assure you I had a hard time keeping his rear wheel. More now than in
summer, because it was still freezing yesterday. I wondered in what
category he is, given th efact that he produces 400 watts. Could anyone
tell me if this is a very good score or not? His heartrhythm in rest is 29
bpm btw, while mine is 44 bpm.

I'm assuming that the 400 watts was produced in a lactate threshold
test, which basically means starting from some low intensity and then
increasing for example 20 watts every two minutes or so, until you can't
continue anymore. 400 watts is not his maximum power output - almost
anybody can produce such wattage for some time.

400 W is a typical result for a weekend warrior, I'd guess. If he's a
small rider it's very good.

-as
Old January 16th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lou Holtman wrote:

Max output, what method was used (SMA?)?

No idea.

What counts is the power he can produce over a longer period. If
this is 400 Watt, then that's is a lot.

It was over a longer period. The people who examined him said they were
impressed and told him they don't see this that often. He told me this
matter of factly, he's not the person to brag about something.

As a matter of fact, he told me the story, since they send him to a
cardiologist, because of the 29 bpm heartrate at rest. It seems to be
normal for him, since untrained he had a 40 bpm heartrate.......

My 44 bpm heartrate is at rest when I'm still in bed btw. When I was
severely overtrained 2 years ago, I also had a 30 bpm heartrate. I found it
a scary feeling.

Greetings, Derk
Old January 16th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

400W over a 25-mile time trial is elite category. It would get a time
well under the hour.

He is an "A amateur" here, but since I'm not a person for clubs I have no
idea what this means exactly. I found out early in life that I shouldn't
join clubs, since I don't want to do anything I HAVE to do.....(I know it's
not normal) :-)

Greetings, Derk

EDP have cyclist colliding with car *again* Helen Simmonds via Guy UK 9 November 8th 05 10:38 AM
53 X 16 vs. 50 X 15 gearing Steve Karpik Techniques 11 September 16th 05 11:21 PM
How many watts to rear-brake a fixie? [email protected] Techniques 21 June 5th 05 05:49 PM
Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 11:09 AM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM