Waiting in traffic lines.

Old April 17th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Matt O'Toole

Default Waiting in traffic lines.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:09:10 -0700, Marz wrote:

When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a very
rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line with
traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to work is
to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do other
folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

I filter forward but only if there's plenty of room, and no danger of
being right-hooked. Actually this winds up being most of the time.

Keep in mind there will be drivers wanting to turn right who will inch
rightward well in advance of the intersection, without signaling or
checking their blind spot for bikes passing them on the right. If you
come up too fast from behind they won't see you even if they do look. So
be careful, don't go too fast, watch for signs of drivers encroaching on
your path, and be prepared to hit your brakes.

To take this one step further, I believe all right-hook situations are
entirely avoidable by keeping the above in mind.

Matt O.