BiGHA Comments

Old November 12th 03, 03:16 AM
Tom Thompson

Default BiGHA Comments

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in message
nk.net...

snip
Someone compared it to a Thunderbird car. But it's just a bicycle.

Just a bicycle?? Why, it's got integrated electronics, man!

Tell
someone how much your recumbent cost and you'll get "That much for JUST
a bicycle?" response.
Now double or triple the cost for a Bigha.

My nicest upright cost a lot more than any of my recumbents did. I can see
a parallel with upright manufacturers like Seven Cycles. Price one of those
someday
and ask yourself how many cyclists would pay that much for a bike that is
essentially the very same design and geometry that can be found in any
number of less expensive alternatives. Yes, the market's much larger, but
Seven has many more competitors than does Bigha.

Things
like cars can have lots of sex appeal. Not many people in the general
public see sex appeal in a bicycle. How many people have gotten laid
because he drives a snazzy bicycle?

Weeeellll, it _was_ a Pinarello Prince, ya know....

Not many people in the general public see anything special about any
recumbent. Greenspeed sold less than 100 units a year for at least their
first 5 years. (My GTR was #408 - it was their 2nd model and it was 5+ years
since its intro when it was built) It can take a supprisingly small number
of sales to keep a start-up afloat, especially if its principals have other
income. Might that be the case with Bigha?

You seem to be fixated on the fact that Bigha is overpriced . So what? We
both have Tour Easys: would you pay $5000+ for a TiRush? No electronics at
all on that bike! Same geometry as the TE, 3# less weight, but it's
Titanium, man! I wouldn't pay that price, would you? Is it worth 2.5 TEs? 5
Rockets? 1.67 Bighas?

Tom Thompson

Old November 12th 03, 04:06 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Tom Thompson wrote:

[...]

No I wouldn't buy a TiRush, I don't think it's worth the money but
because it is from the most experienced and respected recumbent
manufacturer in the US I can see where others interested in high
performance would. But that kind of money for a unseen 50 pound bike
from a company run by many of the same people who wrecked BikeE? That's
incomprehensible. That kind of money for ANY bicycle from any
manufacturer is shocking to the non-biking public, the same public Bigha
is marketing to.

Many (most?) recumbent makers start as tiny one or two person operations
on a shoestring budget. Easy Racer started in a converted chicken coop.
Check Bigha's webpage. They have 14 people listed. They claim
$500,000.00 R & D costs on the seat alone. Acres is going to need very
deep pockets to keep the company afloat. Unless the whole thing is
designed to fail.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984

Old November 12th 03, 08:18 AM
Ian

TJ Theismen must be edykated coz e writed:

Well, I guess I'm the world's biggest idiot for paying $3000 for my
Bigha. When I first heard of them I checked out this board. I ended
up purchasing despite all the negativity. I couldn't be happier with
my Bigha. I ride it often.

Feel free to rip me all you want, I'll be happy nontheless. Had I
listened to everyone who said such and such was a bad idea, I wouldn't
have gone to college, wouldn't have married (and had children),
wouldn't have my job, my house, my car, my Bigha, etc. I learned long
ago to listen to the familiar voice inside instead of the strange ones
outside.

Well I think it is a nice bike.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old November 12th 03, 08:26 AM
Edward Wong

The Segway might be a better comparison, but Segways got massive
prerelease publicity and they can claim to be somewhat unique and
innovative. But they still don't sell for squat. Bighas are really
pretty ordinary recumbents despite the integrated electronics. I predict
sales of less then squat.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

13,000 Segways and they "don't sell for squat?". Where do you get
your information? Your "imagination"? There are MORE online
communities for Segways than there are for recumbents. Another thing
Lorenzo, you are tiring this group with your rather strange anti-BiGHa
obsession...even those who wouldn't own one. Admit it, you just can't
afford one so why keep "beating a dead horse"?

I currently am aware of 5 people who've bought a BiGHa...both newbies
and experienced. They shouldn't have to answer to you or anyone as to
why they made their choice. That is very rude of you. Who do you
think you are? The "Recumbent Police"? What makes you think that
"experienced" bent riders would never own one. Have you ridden one
yourself to make that judgement? Your arrogant assumptions tells me
that you need to grow up some.

You don't have the faintest idea of what free market is and that
discussion is way out of your league. Don't you think that people who
own a Rolex haven't owned other less expensive watches? Don't you
think people who own a Hummer haven't tried and owned other less
expensive vehicles? Don't you think there are people who live in a
$500,000 home today that may have lived in a $100,000 one two or three
years before? After all, the less expensive items I've mentioned do
basically the same function as their pricier counterparts. It's not
up to you to make decisions for others as to how to spend their money.
I've seen really stupid things said on this newsgroup but this "takes
the cake".

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL
Old November 12th 03, 05:59 PM
Scott

(Edward Wong) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Well said, Edward. I, for one, rather like the Bigha. It's not the
bike for me, and I agree with much of the criticism, but if I had lots
of $ and needed a ride-around-town or casual riding 'bent, I'd
consider this bike. I think it's really nice looking. Some people
have plenty of cash, and this kind of expense just isn't a big deal.
The Rolex analogy is a good one. My Casio keeps just as good if not
better time and costs a fraction of the amount. So what? Folks still
line up to by Rolexes.

Scott
Old November 12th 03, 07:58 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Edward Wong wrote:
[...]

Ask a simple question and I get such rude and offensive responses. Why
are you so defensive about a bike you yourself will not buy? After
filtering out some lies, only ONE person in this newgroup claims to have
actually bought a Bigha and he has not answered simple questions about
his experience or why he spent that much. Sure, some people will
automatically buy what ever costs the most on the silly idea that if it
costs more it must be better or because they need to feel special by
having more expensive toys then their neighbors. If these are your
reasons for buying a Bigha, just say so. No need to be defensive about
it, lots of people think spending money makes them special. But if you
have a logical reason for paying $3000.00 for a slow heavy comfort bike,
I would like to hear it.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"The worst-tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were
wrong."
Wilson Mizner, American playwright (1876-1933).

Old November 12th 03, 11:17 PM
Edward Wong

Ask a simple question and I get such rude and offensive responses. Why
are you so defensive about a bike you yourself will not buy? After
filtering out some lies, only ONE person in this newgroup claims to have
actually bought a Bigha and he has not answered simple questions about
his experience or why he spent that much. Sure, some people will
automatically buy what ever costs the most on the silly idea that if it
costs more it must be better or because they need to feel special by
having more expensive toys then their neighbors. If these are your
reasons for buying a Bigha, just say so. No need to be defensive about
it, lots of people think spending money makes them special. But if you
have a logical reason for paying $3000.00 for a slow heavy comfort bike,
I would like to hear it.

Lorenzo L. Love

I new see that the issue you have is not just about this particular
product (BiGHa) but against anyone who can afford and enjoy the finer
things in life that you can't. Again, why should anyone have to
justify their buying decisions to you? Can you answer that simple
question?

You're getting what you perceive to be "rude and offensive" responses
because you are being offensive with your constant and persistant
negative attitude about this bike company and repetitive questioning
on the same thing over and over and over.

I knew the moment someone would come forward and admit that they own a
BiGHa, you would immediately jump down their throat and pester them
would your twisted point of view. Maybe that's the reason we dont't
hear from more BiGHa owners. They know it's a complete waste of time
to post here because of the attitudes.

I believe I said this the last time we butted heads on this subject
several months ago. You have failed to point out a bike that is
comparable to the BiGHa, meaning in everything including the
intergrated electronic package, made in the USA and costs less than
half of what the BiGHa costs. You won't find it so don't waste your
time or ours.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL
Old November 13th 03, 12:32 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Edward Wong wrote:

[...]

Let's see, you defend tooth and nail a bike that you don't own and WILL
NOT BUY. I ask why people would buy this bike, and you, who WILL NOT BUY
one, keep answering. You keep telling us how great this bike is, but you
WILL NOT BUY one. I want to hear from people who have bought one, why
they did. Not from someone who WILL NOT BUY one.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called
upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason."
Oscar Wilde

Old November 13th 03, 04:15 AM
Steve in SC

I fail to see a rational basis for the invective frequently expressed
towards Bigha or John Acres. Bigha is unlikely to take sales from any
existing recumbent manufacturer. Bigha has created a unique market
niche, the upscale recumbent pleasure cruiser. I suspect that John
Acres is marketing this particular bent because he is without
competitors in this small market niche.
There is a group of consumers in this country, primarily affluent,
that are motivated largely by "pride of ownership". These people will
pay large sums of money to acquire whatever they consider to be "the
best".
A Bigha customer may be a well-heeled retired couple. They have
purchased "his" and "her" Bigha bikes. The man may have even had a
trailer, complete with a ramp, built for the bikes so that he can
easily tow them behind their Lincoln Navigator. Every Sunday, if the
weather is nice, they take their bikes to the park for a leasurely
eight mile ride. What's so wrong with that? Should a retired couple be
forced to ride low racers?

John Acres is building his bikes here, in America. Personally, I feel
he deserves a pat on the back.
Old November 13th 03, 05:53 AM
Mark Leuck

"Steve in SC" wrote in message
om...

. What's so wrong with that? Should a retired couple be
forced to ride low racers?

That would be kinda neat, as far as I know only 2 Barons exist in the
Dallas/Ft Worth area. I'd almost be glad to get dusted by a 80 year old

new Bigha web site... Ernest General 11 November 30th 03 01:41 PM
BiGHA review and money better spent. Alpha Beta Recumbent Biking 1 September 28th 03 08:03 AM
BigHA review and money better spent. Alpha Beta Recumbent Biking 2 September 28th 03 01:50 AM