Shimano brake cable recall

Old January 26th 05, 12:25 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Default Shimano brake cable recall

Shimano announces recall of road bike brake cables that could fail (a very
dangerous situation)-

We received a semi-cryptic recall notice from Shimano regarding brake cables
the other day, and have put together a page that hopefully explains it
(along with photos so you can identify good & bad). It may be found at

www.ChainReaction.com/recallshimanocable.htm

Please note that this recall is essentially only for aftermarket cables, and
doesn't affect any cables sold prior to April of 2003. This means that
cables that were part of a component group, or found on a new bike,
shouldn't be defective. However, the same rules for determining whether
defective or not apply, so if you want to be safe, you can look at the
photos I've posted and make sure you're OK.

Also, if anybody finds anything on my page that's at odds with something
they've heard, please let me know so I can look into it. My info is based on
the recall notice mailed out, along with two conversations with Shimano
customer service people on 1/25/05.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Old January 26th 05, 12:30 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Should have mentioned that the recall affects road bike cables only, not
mountain bikes.

Old January 26th 05, 12:52 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message ...
Should have mentioned that the recall affects road bike cables only, not
mountain bikes.

Here is a pdf with serial numbers and stuff:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/Consume...n%202005.pd f

Back when I had a kid's bike (not that long ago actually), I pulled my brake
lever hard and inadvertently pulled off one of the heads off a cable and was
a bit upset to find that my brakes no longer worked. We should have sued

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old January 26th 05, 12:58 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Here is a pdf with serial numbers and stuff:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/Consume...n%202005.pd f

Unfortunately, that info is only good for recognizing the cables in their
original point-of-purchase packaging, and no good once they're on the bike.
Shimano faxed me a sheet showing tiny pictures of the markings on the heads,
which was why I decided to take photos myself and put them up.

Old January 26th 05, 02:36 AM
Nobody

[...]

Mike, many thanks for the clear and concise explanation of the Shimano
brake cable recall. This is a real service and you deserve credit for
making this available. I was wondering, when was it exactly that I
replaced those cables? Probably in 2003 before the Sierra to the Sea,
but I can't remember for sure. Maybe it was in 2004. Now I have
something to look for.

Dave
Old January 26th 05, 07:18 AM
Al Williams

One of our members (Alto Velo) found the recall notice that Shimano put out
for the United Kingdom. It is much more clear and informative than the
message provided in this country. It is
http://www.shimano-eu.com/cycling/re...tedKingdom.pdf

--

__o
Keep on Ridin' `\

Old January 26th 05, 07:37 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

One of our members (Alto Velo) found the recall notice that Shimano put
out for the United Kingdom. It is much more clear and informative than
the message provided in this country. It is
http://www.shimano-eu.com/cycling/re...tedKingdom.pdf

Yes, that's what Shimano *faxed* to me. They said they didn't have anything
they could email (which seems silly, given that your link is to a .pdf that
certainly could have been!). And, interestingly, they included instructions
on releasing the brake cable from the cable guides, so you can inspect the
cable head... which was exactly what I was going to work on doing tomorrow
for our website. Guess I don't need to now!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 26th 05, 11:39 AM
jj

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:25:32 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction
Bicycles" wrote:

Shimano announces recall of road bike brake cables that could fail (a very
dangerous situation)-

We received a semi-cryptic recall notice from Shimano regarding brake cables
the other day, and have put together a page that hopefully explains it
(along with photos so you can identify good & bad). It may be found at

www.ChainReaction.com/recallshimanocable.htm

Thanks for the note, Mike. BTW, on an unrelated note, I recently
picked up a Trek road bike and noticed after I got it home that the
handlebar tape was not applied evenly, and there was a 1/4" gap at the
bend where you can see the metal bar.

Should I take that back and have it re-wrapped, and should there be no
charge? I thought since this was an obvious flaw and nothing that I
could cause by riding it, it would be ok to take it back in a week for
the first tune up of any cables that stretch and it would be fixed
free, but thought I'd ask in case I should do it sooner. Sorry for the
possibly naive question, first road bike I've bought in a while.

jj

Old January 26th 05, 12:55 PM
Art Harris

Mike, thanks for the heads up. I wonder if there is something truly
defective about these cables, or if they just didn't go through the
normal inspection process.

The uk link says that Shimano is not aware of any actual failures of
the cables, but is voluntarily recalling them.

Art Harris

Old January 26th 05, 04:27 PM
Bill Sornson

jj wrote:

Thanks for the note, Mike. BTW, on an unrelated note, I recently
picked up a Trek road bike and noticed after I got it home that the
handlebar tape was not applied evenly, and there was a 1/4" gap at the
bend where you can see the metal bar.

Should I take that back and have it re-wrapped, and should there be no
charge? I thought since this was an obvious flaw and nothing that I
could cause by riding it, it would be ok to take it back in a week for
the first tune up of any cables that stretch and it would be fixed
free, but thought I'd ask in case I should do it sooner. Sorry for the
possibly naive question, first road bike I've bought in a while.

I'd take it back, and ask to let me watch and learn how to wrap (or re-wrap)
a bar. They should appreciate your zeal for the sport and interest in
becoming "self sufficient" down the road.

(If the bike's working well otherwise, they can probably do the entire
"tune-up" then, too.)

Riding mountain bikes for years BEFORE buying a road bike worked out great
for me, as maintaining the latter is a piece of cake compared to the former.
(But I too would want help with bar tape! Haven't done it yet.)

Bill "no headsets, hubs or fork tear-downs; everything else I think I can
tackle" S.

Trek brake cable design Bill X Techniques 6 September 19th 04 03:47 PM
where can i find shimano dura ace slr brake hoods w e i Marketplace 2 August 14th 03 12:19 PM
How to install shifter cable on Ultegra brake/shift lever? Kevin General 5 August 5th 03 05:37 PM
Brake cable diameter Bryan UK 2 August 4th 03 04:05 PM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM