AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old April 16th 19, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Spring is here

On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 20:37:30 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

If we ever have another dry Friday.

Friday was wet again, so I went on Saturday -- and not until I tried
to open the door did I remember that Duck, Down, and Above isn't open
on weekends.

Ah well, it was a glorious day for a ride, and I learned that when I
come back with two panniers of frozen stuff, I want to go up on the
west side of the lake and come back on the east. The eastern route is
much shorter, and the hill on 200 W is easier northbound. I looked at
it southbound, chickened out, and took 400 N to 300 W. More total
climbing, but not all in one piece.

By coming back on the west side, I arrived at home with piled-up
panniers anyway. I bought Open Air Nursery and Greenhouses out of
annual rye grass seed -- three pounds -- got peanuts in the shell at
Carniceria San Jose', went to Zales -- they were out of AREDS2, but I
found a back-up for my Levothyroxin pill planner. The old one is
still in perfect condition, but this is the first one I've seen in at
least five years, so I thought it wise to buy it and stash it away.

Besides, you can't tell that plastic is wearing out until it breaks.

The final fill was at Owen's, where I re-arranged my panniers to make
space for cream and cheese, then went back in and bought a gallon of
milk.

Stacy's Sports Bar won't be open until next week, if then, but I had a
nice ham-in-cheese sauce "pizza pod" or "pizza pop" at the Marathon
station. The wrapping wasn't pizza dough, and I'm pretty sure it
wasn't even yeast bread. More like croissant than like biscuit, not
at all like pie crust.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/

Old April 19th 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:35:35 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Stacy's Sports Bar won't be open until next week, if then, but I had a
nice ham-in-cheese sauce "pizza pod" or "pizza pop" at the Marathon
station.

On Tuesday, I went again and bought 7.5 pounds of apple & brie stuffed
chicken breasts. (5 oz. times twenty-four.) Baked two for supper,
which was a bit late because I didn't get home until 16:41 and baking
chicken takes an hour. Luckily, Spouse was having a snack when I got
home, and didn't mind eating a few minutes later than usual.

Stacy's was open, but I didn't feel like socializing, and I didn't
want to put a warm half-a-sandwich in with my frozen food, so I went
to Marathon again. A "pizza puff" is exactly enough food, I get it
instantly, and I can sit on a stool overlooking my bike and eat it
with my homebrew tea. (slow-simmered green gunpowder tea with a
squeeze of honey and a rounded quarter teaspoon of ascorbic acid)

I was kinder tempted by the potato wedges.

Reminds me of the time I pointed at what I thought were potato wedges
in a Marathon station, and got french-fried mini tacos.

Then when I was leaving Marathon, I noticed "we're open again!" signs
all over "Little New York Family Restaurant", which has been closed
for so long that I didn't know it existed.

So I've gone from having no place to eat in Leesburg to having five.
But Hop Lore is never open before noon, and is open before 16:00 only
three days a week.

I came back by Old Fifteen, which requires me to use SR 15 from
Clearwater Drive to Sheldon Drive; not *too* bad if you feel like
sprinting, but I was sorry, for the last few yards, that there was no
place to walk.

I went into Walmart to refill my bottle and looked for a dandelion
digger, only to find that they have been improved beyond use. A
weeding knife is supposed to be a rod with a handle, flattening out to
a blade about an inch wide (a quarter of a decimeter), with the end
cut into a wide, flat V shape. At first glance I thought "Oh, *this*
one won't bend!" but closer inspection showed that the rod zig-zagged
all over the place, and instead of a blade, the rod ended in a
deer-hoof sort of slit. Judging by the prices of trowels etc., it
also cost twice as much as a real dandelion digger would have.

The green onions are ready -- what am I going to dig them with?

Ordinarily, I cross SR 15 from Jalynn onto 250 N, and cross US 30 on
Anchorage, but when I came up by that route on Saturday, nine hundred
feet of Bell Drive were torn up, and I had to walk way out in the
field to get around the construction, which had littered up wide
swaths on both sides of the road with machines and supplies. I could
see cars in a parking lot at the corner, and persisted, thinking "If
they can get in, I can get out", but when I got to the lot I saw that
they had gotten in over freshly-poured, well fluffed gravel, and I had
to walk most of Rainbow Drive too.

Okay, I can ride on SR 15 to the other end of Anchorage, just bear in
mind that the first stoplight is a snare and a delusion. I got past
the first stoplight, deftly avoiding cars that wanted to use the on
ramp, passed under Thirty, there's the second light and what's this?
Zero traffic as far as the eye can see! What a good time to get into
the left-turn lane -- and get trapped on the median of a road that
doesn't have a median. It's the first light *after the bridge* that
is a snare and a delusion. And all the missing traffic is back;
nothing for it but to dismount and wait for a chance to sprint to the
left-hand ditch. Google Maps says I walked 931.2 feet, but it felt a
lot farther than that, what with being right on the very steep verge
of a very deep ditch, on rough and uncertain ground, through
ankle-high weeds.

But the rest of the trip was uneventful. Which is just as well; I
started feeling a bit tired before I got home.