FS: Dahon Hon Solo folding fixie

Old June 30th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Zach

Default FS: Dahon Hon Solo folding fixie

The Hon Solo was a limited edition folding single speed made in 1996.
This is frame number 47 out of 500 made. I converted it to a fixed
gear bike, replacing the 16T x 1/8" freewheel with a 13T x 3/32"
Shimano Dura-Ace cog and lockring for a 69" gear. The 1/8" chain was
replaced with a KMC Z narrow chain and the rear brake, brake lever and
kickstand were removed. These stock parts are included with the bike
in case you want to revert it back to its stock freewheeling
configuration. The bike has only been ridden 43 kilometres in dry
weather so looks new and the included MKS EZY quick disconnect pedals
were never installed. The Bebop pedals in the photo are not included
and the CatEye Wireless cyclecomputer can be left on for an additional
$35 or I will remove it. The wood mudguards are included.

"Dahon Folding Bikes is a company that follows their passion, and the
Hon Solo is an expression of that passion. In developing the Hon Solo,
a single speed bike with elegantly clean lines, Dahon brought back old
school components from decades gone by: names like Brooks, Nitto,
Sugino, and Suzue will bring smiles to the face of many a bicycle
connoisseur. They've even fitted the Hon Solo with Lace-wood mud
guards and chainguard that are painstakingly hand-crafted in an Oregon
workshop. Modernized with Dahon folding technology, the Hon Solo lets
you bring single speed style anywhere."

Here is an interview with the designer of the Hon Solo:

http://www.dahon.com/news/newsletter/2006/05/050605.htm

Our Interview with Rick Hartwell
In this issue of the Dahon Dispatch we talk to Rick Hartwell, Dahon
Product Development Manager about the limited edition Hon Solo.
Q: Hi Rick, what was the inspiration behind the Hon Solo?

RH: The desire to have a classically styled bike in the line, but it's
really more than that, it's about lines, colors, graphics, a balance
that's hard to achieve. A bike you'd want to be seen on when cruising
to your local barista. Also the selection of retro components (Brooks,
Sugino, Nitto Moustache, Suzue) are inspired by one of my mentors
Grant Petersen of Rivendell. It all just came together perfectly.

Q: Why a limited edition?

RH: It just makes the bike that much more special. It's really a gift
to our loyal fans and those consumers that have a good eye for unique
bikes. It puts an emphasis on it's rarity and gives more meaning to
pride in ownership.

Q: Why a SS?

RH: Ah yes, it's clean and simple, reminds your mind what cycling is
all about.

Q: How has reaction been to the product?

RH: Outstanding! In fact there's some pressure to increase the limited
production, but no way.

Q: Will there be future limited edition models in the Dahon range?

RH: We tend to have a limited edition model once every few years when
we concept something very unique. You'll have to wait and see ...

The limited edition Dahon Hon Solo is available now for RRP US$899.
For more information please visit here.

Here is a link to the stock specifications: http://www.dahon.com/archive/2006/us/honsolo.htm

The Hon Solo sold for $899 in 2006. I'm selling this one for $775.

Contact me at zakaplan at earthlink dot net or 510-522-2368