The Clarkson attitude to violence

Old December 3rd 09, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Default The Clarkson attitude to violence

Mike Causer wrote:
I've recently been loaned the Top Gear DVD of "The Top Movie Chases
Ever". They mean car chases of course, Hitchcock's North by Northwest
doesn't get in.

About halfway through we are warned that "moderate violence" will
follow. By that point six people have died, three been injured,
seventeen cars, two motorbikes and one truck have been crashed. The
"violence" is that someone will be shot with a gun. Killing with a car
doesn't seem to be considered violence.

Don't pay good money to buy this DVD (didn't really think this parish
would, but there have been some new parishoners recently), there's only
one good sequence on it IMO, the Bullitt chase.

Bullitt? Over hyped crap talked up by hacks who hadn't really watched
it, who just read other hacks opinions! How many times can you watch the
same scene , over and over again filmed from different angles. Once you
have seen one VW bug at the junction it screams "ANGLE!" when you see
the same car over and over and over again. If you want a car chase
argue about "The Italian Job" , "Ronin" or " French Connection" but by
mentioning Bullitt it just shows that you don't know what you are
talking about, and possibly were asleep when the "exciting " bit arrived.
Old December 3rd 09, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer[_3_]

I've recently been loaned the Top Gear DVD of "The Top Movie Chases
Ever". They mean car chases of course, Hitchcock's North by Northwest
doesn't get in.

About halfway through we are warned that "moderate violence" will
follow. By that point six people have died, three been injured,
seventeen cars, two motorbikes and one truck have been crashed. The
"violence" is that someone will be shot with a gun. Killing with a car
doesn't seem to be considered violence.

Don't pay good money to buy this DVD (didn't really think this parish
would, but there have been some new parishoners recently), there's only
one good sequence on it IMO, the Bullitt chase. I might copy the
soundtrack of "C'était un rendez-vous" though.....

Mike
--
Mike Causer
Old December 4th 09, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Mike Causer wrote:
I've recently been loaned the Top Gear DVD of "The Top Movie Chases
Ever". They mean car chases of course, Hitchcock's North by Northwest
doesn't get in.

About halfway through we are warned that "moderate violence" will
follow. By that point six people have died, three been injured,
seventeen cars, two motorbikes and one truck have been crashed. The
"violence" is that someone will be shot with a gun. Killing with a car
doesn't seem to be considered violence.

Don't pay good money to buy this DVD (didn't really think this parish
would, but there have been some new parishoners recently), there's only
one good sequence on it IMO, the Bullitt chase. I might copy the
soundtrack of "C'était un rendez-vous" though.....

shrug

What *did* you watch it for?

Wild horses couldn't drag me to a decision to waste an hour of my life on
such obvious trash.
Old December 4th 09, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 23:36:43 +0000
Mike Causer wrote:

I've recently been loaned the Top Gear DVD of "The Top Movie Chases
Ever". They mean car chases of course, Hitchcock's North by Northwest
doesn't get in.

About halfway through we are warned that "moderate violence" will
follow. By that point six people have died, three been injured,
seventeen cars, two motorbikes and one truck have been crashed. The
"violence" is that someone will be shot with a gun. Killing with a
car doesn't seem to be considered violence.

Don't pay good money to buy this DVD (didn't really think this parish
would, but there have been some new parishoners recently), there's
only one good sequence on it IMO, the Bullitt chase. I might copy
the soundtrack of "C'était un rendez-vous" though.....

Thanks for mentioning that. The SO was pestering me for gift ideas
earlier, and that one sounds like an excellent stocking filler for me.
I see his latest tome "Driven to Distraction" is on special offer too.

Old December 4th 09, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 3 Dec, 23:36, Mike Causer wrote:
I've recently been loaned the Top Gear DVD of "The Top Movie Chases
Ever". *They mean car chases of course, Hitchcock's North by Northwest
doesn't get in.

About halfway through we are warned that "moderate violence" will
follow. *By that point six people have died, three been injured,
seventeen cars, two motorbikes and one truck have been crashed. *The
"violence" is that someone will be shot with a gun. *Killing with a car
doesn't seem to be considered violence.

Don't pay good money to buy this DVD (didn't really think this parish
would, but there have been some new parishoners recently), there's only
one good sequence on it IMO, the Bullitt chase. *I might copy the
soundtrack of "C'était un rendez-vous" though.....

Violence seems to be fostered by driving as is the use of a car as a
dangerous weapon to deliberately intimidate or ram. Perhaps Clarkson
merely reflects this?

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk

Old December 4th 09, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
[...]

Errrm, no he doesn't.

--
Tony Dragon
Old December 4th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Dec 3, 11:33*pm, Marc wrote:

If you want a car chase
argue about "The Italian Job" , "Ronin" or " French Connection" *

Or The Blues Brothers, which is 50% pastiche.
--
Guy
Old December 4th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Thanks for mentioning that. The SO was pestering me for gift ideas
earlier, and that one sounds like an excellent stocking filler for me.
I see his latest tome "Driven to Distraction" is on special offer too.

Mrs. M bought me that for my birthday - she wonders why I have not touched
it ;-/
That said, I watched them drive over the Romanian mountains in programme 1
last month as we had driven on the same road in the past two years.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old December 4th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
news:20091203233643.f537250c.m.r.causer@goglemail. com...
I've recently been loaned the Top Gear DVD of "The Top Movie Chases
Ever". They mean car chases of course, Hitchcock's North by Northwest
doesn't get in.
----------------

I have already bought a copy and it's pretty entertaining.

C'était un rendez-vous is a classic and is recommended viewing even thought
it's only a few minutes in length.

Old December 4th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Lewis

Default He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named attitude to violence

The awful truth:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multime...KEf_87633a.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...75_468x712.jpg

--
Mark Lewis, North Somerset

Jeremy Clarkson attitude to cyclists [email protected] UK 43 September 28th 09 06:50 PM
Clarkson? John Clayton UK 28 March 13th 08 08:02 AM
Clarkson in The Sun again. Simon Mason UK 3 December 29th 05 11:31 AM
J.Clarkson & the law sothach UK 27 October 8th 05 10:37 AM
Clarkson goes off on one. Simon Mason UK 66 May 30th 04 09:00 PM