Before & after bike ghettos

Old October 19th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Before & after bike ghettos

On Oct 18, 1:28*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
On 10/18/2010 12:24 PM, Chalo wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Calls for bike lanes began as early as the 1970s, at least. *And the
"Danger! *Helmet!" cries started in the 1970s. *All of those efforts
were based on the notion that cycling on ordinary streets and roads in
ordinary clothes is so terribly dangerous that something else is
needed.

Frank, your ideology has painted you into a corner. If helmet promotion
has such a deleterious effect on cycling, I would naturally expect the
bike industry to fight it, ditto for the skiing industry, the equestrian
industry, white water and sky diving industries, too.

I think it's important to keep in mind that it's not the level of
participation in these sports that pleases manufacturers, but the
amount of associated purchasing. *These are usually related things,
but they are not inseparable. *Some of the most active riders I know
(by frequency) got their bikes used and don't give a hoot about
accessories or upgrades. *Others (and we all know some, e.g. charity-
riders) spent thousands on new bikes and gear, but they don't ride
much.

The former group is better for cycling; the latter is better for
business. *Manufacturers don't generally care about the habits and
effects of the former group. *And it's the latter group you'll see
wearing helmets as if their lives depended on it.

Chalo

I agree. I point out though that, like skiers and others, those just
starting out need the full kit -- bike and clothing/accessories, those
must be attractive customers. I would think that a perception that
cycling was dangerous (needing head protection) would have the biggest
effect in discouraging new recruits. Some of those might get in via the
back door of used bikes and street clothes, but many newbies seem to
appear fully kitted. Subjective, I know. Maybe the demographics is
different in areas with a lot of utility cycling, unfortunately I've
never lived in one of those.

On the whole I'd agree that the interests of cycling and the cycling
business aren't perfectly aligned, but I don't think your charity riders
are necessarily bad for cycling, nor do I think that those of us who
dress a little ratty and ride a lot of used and cobbled together gear
are bad for business.

While the 100% helmeted charity riders may have received a message that
cycling is dangerous, it apparently wasn't enough to keep them at home
-- maybe the idea of riskiness just makes charity rides more appealing,
I don't know.

Talking to a bike shop employee recently, the idea that the incoming
riders need the full kit and that this can be more profitable than
selling to the established riders (speaking in broad terms here) was
borne out.

I guess I need to get out more, but here in Austin, without trying
("getting out" for purposes of observation), I see groups of riders,
especially on weekends, where some of them are known racer-centric
rides, and others that are not, all rides well-populated.

Especially when ride dates for certain large charity rides and
triathlons are approaching (notably but not at all limited to the
Danskins women's event), there are lots of people of all stripes out
riding the roads.

(for example) The Austin Cycling Association, a riding club that is
not racer-oriented, holds several weekly group rides of varying
length. My cohort shares the road with some of these rides, and there
are lots of folks who buy the new bike and the kit, and do ride. They
might (obviously) not have the fitness the "hard core" roadies do-- I
mean, some of them probably have jobs and stuff g-- but they are out
there riding.

I'm not denying that some buy new bikes that never get ridden, but at
the same time, I don't think we're doing the same as what I remember
from the bike boom of the 70's and beyond, which was the source of
lots of "garage sale" finds of little-ridden used bikes over the
following years.

In short, I don't think the pigeon-holes have many birds in them, at
least not here in Austin, Tx, where we have very mild winters and lots
of year-round sunshine that encourages riding outdoors.

Speaking of which... some of the best weather of the year is happening
right now. Time to go!
--D-y