Minnesota Hiker throttled by grizzly

Old September 1st 11, 11:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default Minnesota Hiker throttled by grizzly

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

I am having the usual computer problems and who knows what is causing
them.

I may. Quoting from your headers

There's your answer.

I think my mouse may be out of order as I am having difficulties with
everything, not just Windows Mail.

I could employ Jim McNamara to be my computer guru full-time.

Not sure which Jim McNamara you mean. But you needn't employ anyone.

Jim was an IT expert who was good at diagnosing computer problems and
offering solutions.

But computer technology is ****ed up and always has been.

Not all of it.

When I go hiking I use good equipment. I employ good judgment while

using it, I enjoy my hikes, and I don't get into trouble. Some people
use poor equipment, or use poor judgment, or do not enjoy their hikes.
For one or more of these reasons they sometimes get into trouble. The
same is true when doing things with your computer.

Good equipment has nothing to do with it. The technology itself is ****ed
up. That is why you have an army of IT people doing nothing but safeguarding
and fixing the damn things (both software and hardware). What a waste of
human talent and energy!

The damn TV works perfectly

So does my Macintosh computer. I recommend MT-NewsWatcher 3.5.3b3

(donationware; I sent the author $20) for Usenet. There are other good
Mac newsgroup programs. Linux users will perhaps suggest names of good
software for their platform. Mac equipment and software is more
expensive but if you're not technically inclined it's a lot easier to
use than Linux equipment. You do have to follow the instructions. But if
you do, generally speaking "it just works".

The instructions are also ****ed up. I think they must be written by idiots
who do not understand either how language works or how the human mind works.

By the way, I know some computer gurus who positively hate everything
connected with Apple, most especially those Mac computers and its
proprietary software, all of which is overpriced.

Linux is strictly for geeks. What planet are you from anyway?

By the way, it completely escapes me what all this has to do with hikers

from Minnesota getting into trouble with grizzly bears.

My second paragraph addressed that part.

David, with far better things to do than "fix" computers

We all do! I am now going to play some vinyl recordings of some Beethoven
quartets on my gramophone which has worked perfectly for the past 60 years
and has never needed any "fixing". My ****ed up computer needs fixing every
other week!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 1st 11, 07:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
David Ryeburn

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

(Quotes cleaned up so you can tell who wrote what.)

ED:
But computer technology is ****ed up and always has been.

DR:
Not all of it.
When I go hiking I use good equipment. I employ good judgment while
using it, I enjoy my hikes, and I don't get into trouble. Some people
use poor equipment, or use poor judgment, or do not enjoy their hikes.
For one or more of these reasons they sometimes get into trouble. The
same is true when doing things with your computer.

ED:
Good equipment has nothing to do with it. The technology itself is ****ed
up.

Only *SOME* of it is ****ed up. Not all of it. Good equipment actually
has a lot to do with it, though not as much as using whatever equipment
you have in the best way possible.

ED:
That is why you have an army of IT people doing nothing but safeguarding
and fixing the damn things (both software and hardware). What a waste of
human talent and energy!

The main reason so many IT people have to spend so much time and energy
trying to keep malware at bay and fixing hardware and software problems
is that much of the hardware and much of the software is very badly
designed. *MUCH* of it, not all of it. UNIX software, and the hardware
it runs on, is not badly designed. Windows software, and much (not all)
of the hardware it runs on, is badly designed.

DR:
Mac equipment and software is more expensive
but if you're not technically inclined it's a lot easier to use
than Linux equipment. You do have to follow the instructions. But if
you do, generally speaking "it just works".

ED:
The instructions are also ****ed up. I think they must be written by idiots
who do not understand either how language works or how the human mind works.

The instructions for Mac equipment, and for most Mac software, are *NOT*
****ed up. Have you read any of it? They are generally clearly written.
Have you even been in an Apple store in the last 10 years? Go there,
spend 30 minutes, and learn something. Bring your credit card -- at the
end of your visit you will likely want to use it. Now don't just dismiss
this because you *KNOW* it's wrong. Actually go there, spend the time,
play with the equipment, ask questions, and learn something.

ED:
By the way, I know some computer gurus who positively hate everything
connected with Apple, most especially those Mac computers and its
proprietary software, all of which is overpriced.

The reason a lot of IT people dislike Macs is because they represent a
threat to their job security. When there's not much to fix, not many IT
people need to be employed. Prices are way down compared to what you
think they are, and compared to what they used to be. If you compare
prices for Mac hardware with good quality hardware intended for Windows,
and if you include the cost of software which you will need, not
supplied with the typical Windows computer but right there when you open
the box on a Mac, the difference is in some cases actually in favor of
the Mac. But you won't believe this unless you actually go to two
stores, price a decent Sony or Hewlett-Packard (before they disappear;
they're getting out of the computer business) or Dell (but not their
cheap inferior models) computer, add in the cost of the software you'll
have to buy, and then go to the Apple store and do the same arithmetic.
Run the experiment and see what the numbers actually are. Or don't, and
go on living in the world of 1998.

Mac software is basically UNIX software, but with a pretty face. UNIX
software is anything but proprietary. What's proprietary is Windows
software, where standards are "adjusted" to meet Microsoft's desires,
compatability with others be damned. Read about HMTL, what the standards
are, what MS does instead, and how the results then play as intended
only under Internet Exploder.

ED:
Linux is strictly for geeks. What planet are you from anyway?

Linux (a version of UNIX, in effect) is to some extent for geeks, I
don't use it, and Macs and the Mac operating system (which is really
UNIX in disguise) is *not* for geeks. If you are a geek, you can save
some money, but spend a lot of effort instead, and have a good UNIX
system. If you spend a bit more money and a lot less effort and get a
Mac you'll have something a lot more flexible which can *ALSO* run a lot
of the UNIX stuff, if you want to, just as the Linux users can do.

ED:
I am now going to play some vinyl recordings of some Beethoven
quartets on my gramophone which has worked perfectly for the past 60 years
and has never needed any "fixing".

My vinyl recordings of the Beethoven string quartets (many different
complete sets) do not sound as good as my CD recordings of them (many
different sets, some of them identical performances to some of the LPs).
The vinyl records have to be cleaned carefully, they still have clicks
and pops, and the background hiss and even-order harmonic distortion is
annoying. Most of the CDs sets let me hear everything, including some of
the mistakes the musicians occasionally make. Life is too short, and
music is too important, to waste time removing or trying to remove
annoyances while listening to music. My CDs. like my Macs, "just work".

ED:
My ****ed up computer needs fixing every other week!

I've tried to tell you how to avoid that problem. Read carefully, and
learn. Or don't. Your choice.

David

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, change "netz" to "net"
Old September 2nd 11, 02:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
T°m Sherm@n

Default OT - OS and Vinyl

On 9/1/2011 1:17 PM, David Ryeburn wrote:
[...]
The reason a lot of IT people dislike Macs is because they represent a
threat to their job security.[...]

I might buy a Mac, except the only people more annoying than Mac owners
are H-D owners.

Better dead than trendy!

I bought a laptop dirt cheap ($500) four years ago, and it came with
Micro$oft Vista which I was going to describe as a piece of ****, but
then I realized that would be derogatory to ****.

My vinyl recordings of the Beethoven string quartets (many different
complete sets) do not sound as good as my CD recordings of them (many
different sets, some of them identical performances to some of the LPs).
The vinyl records have to be cleaned carefully, they still have clicks
and pops, and the background hiss and even-order harmonic distortion is
annoying. Most of the CDs sets let me hear everything, including some of
the mistakes the musicians occasionally make. Life is too short, and
music is too important, to waste time removing or trying to remove
annoyances while listening to music. My CDs. like my Macs, "just work".
[...]

Stat away from the "vinyl is the superior medium" audiophool (sic)
freaks then.

The worst thing about LP is handling and playing the things, especially
on an audiophool (sic) turntable when you have to set the arm down
manually, which destroys any mood I had for listening to music. Much
better to get comfortable, then hit play on a remote control.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 2nd 11, 08:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"David Ryeburn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

[...]
I am now going to play some vinyl recordings of some Beethoven
quartets on my gramophone which has worked perfectly for the past 60
years
and has never needed any "fixing".

My vinyl recordings of the Beethoven string quartets (many different
complete sets) do not sound as good as my CD recordings of them (many
different sets, some of them identical performances to some of the LPs).
The vinyl records have to be cleaned carefully, they still have clicks
and pops, and the background hiss and even-order harmonic distortion is
annoying. Most of the CDs sets let me hear everything, including some of
the mistakes the musicians occasionally make. Life is too short, and
music is too important, to waste time removing or trying to remove
annoyances while listening to music. My CDs. like my Macs, "just work".

I will admit to having to fuss with vinyl LP records more than with CDs, but
they sound better (more musical) despite all the clicks and pops. I still
like to listen to my old RCA Toscanini-NBC Symphony 78 rpm shellac
recordings of the Beethoven symphonies. The music comes through just fine
despite all the surface noise. As you can see from the above, I do not
belong to the newer is better crowd.

My ****ed up computer needs fixing every other week!

I've tried to tell you how to avoid that problem. Read carefully, and
learn. Or don't. Your choice.

I don't appreciate high end (read expensive) equipment. You can go to
Wal-Mart and get a complete E-Machines desk top computer for $400. If
computer technology weren't so flawed, it would work perfectly. The main
problem I have with computers is not so much the hardware as it is the
software and the Internet, which is always ****ing with the software. That
is what I mean by a flawed technology. I think the code will have to be
completely changed in order to get around the fundamental problems (viruses,
hacking, etc.)

Old September 2nd 11, 09:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

""T°m Sherm@n"" " wrote in message
On 9/1/2011 1:17 PM, David Ryeburn wrote:
[...]
The reason a lot of IT people dislike Macs is because they represent a
threat to their job security.[...]

I might buy a Mac, except the only people more annoying than Mac owners
are H-D owners.

Better dead than trendy!

Agreed!

I bought a laptop dirt cheap ($500) four years ago, and it came with
Micro$oft Vista which I was going to describe as a piece of ****, but then
I realized that would be derogatory to ****.

Vista was a big improvement on XP. Any reason why I should move on to
Windows 7?

My vinyl recordings of the Beethoven string quartets (many different
complete sets) do not sound as good as my CD recordings of them (many
different sets, some of them identical performances to some of the LPs).
The vinyl records have to be cleaned carefully, they still have clicks
and pops, and the background hiss and even-order harmonic distortion is
annoying. Most of the CDs sets let me hear everything, including some of
the mistakes the musicians occasionally make. Life is too short, and
music is too important, to waste time removing or trying to remove
annoyances while listening to music. My CDs. like my Macs, "just work".
[...]

Stay away from the "vinyl is the superior medium" audiophool (sic) freaks
then.

Toward the end of the LP era, some few companies were indeed producing
superior vinyl recordings which has never been matched by digital
recordings.

The worst thing about LP is handling and playing the things, especially on
an audiophool (sic) turntable when you have to set the arm down manually,
which destroys any mood I had for listening to music. Much better to get
comfortable, then hit play on a remote control.

I rather enjoyed all the tender loving care that went with turntables and
records. True audiophiles loved to fuss with records and all its associated
equipment.

The digital era marks the first step ever in a regression of sound quality.
It seems we have sacrificed superior sound for mere convenience.

Old September 2nd 11, 12:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier

On 09/02/2011 04:00 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
""T°m " wrote in message

(snip)

I bought a laptop dirt cheap ($500) four years ago, and it came with
Micro$oft Vista which I was going to describe as a piece of ****, but then
I realized that would be derogatory to ****.

I'm trying to get my wife to change to Ubuntu
as I have done.

Vista was a big improvement on XP.

Nonsense! XP, by the time MS stopped supporting it was a
good working, solid OS. The only thing that comes close
is Linux, especially Ubuntu. Mac might be OK because
recent OS's are actually Unix.

Any reason why I should move on to
Windows 7?

It apparently (I don't have a W-7 box yet to form
a definitive opinion) actually works as advertised.
That statement doesn't imply that the OS actually
does everything you tell it to (as does Ubuntu)
but that what MS says about it is true which was
not the case with Vista. And yes, calling Vista
"****" is derogatory to ****.

(snip)
I'm not going to get into the vinyl vs digital (of
some sort) except to say that a friend of mine who
is old enough to be a curmudgeon on this subject
has embraced digital completely and has equipment
to re-record his old vinyl onto digital media,
scratches and all.
Old September 2nd 11, 02:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"VtSkier" wrote in message
On 09/02/2011 04:00 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Vista was a big improvement on XP.

Nonsense! XP, by the time MS stopped supporting it was a
good working, solid OS. The only thing that comes close
is Linux, especially Ubuntu. Mac might be OK because
recent OS's are actually Unix.

Nope, I had XP for many years too and I like Vista better.

Any reason why I should move on to
Windows 7?

It apparently (I don't have a W-7 box yet to form
a definitive opinion) actually works as advertised.
That statement doesn't imply that the OS actually
does everything you tell it to (as does Ubuntu)
but that what MS says about it is true which was
not the case with Vista. And yes, calling Vista
"****" is derogatory to ****.

I doubt W-7 is any better than Vista since it is nothing but a clone of
Vista.

By the way, your Linux (Ubuntu) is for geeks. No normal person should ever
venture near it. Just check out the Linux chat rooms and forums if you don't
believe me. Most of those guys never know what the hell they are talking
about. It is far better to pay the big bucks and let Microsoft do all the
work.

(snip)
I'm not going to get into the vinyl vs digital (of
some sort) except to say that a friend of mine who
is old enough to be a curmudgeon on this subject
has embraced digital completely and has equipment
to re-record his old vinyl onto digital media,
scratches and all.

Digital is all about convenience. It is not about superior sound. This is
something that all audiophiles know.

Old September 2nd 11, 06:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier

On 09/02/2011 09:01 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
On 09/02/2011 04:00 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Vista was a big improvement on XP.

Nonsense! XP, by the time MS stopped supporting it was a
good working, solid OS. The only thing that comes close
is Linux, especially Ubuntu. Mac might be OK because
recent OS's are actually Unix.

Nope, I had XP for many years too and I like Vista better.

You sir, are a rarity. I'll bet you that any store
you go into today, if it has been in existence for
at least 2 years will be running XP on its point of
sale computer. If Vista and W-7 are so great, why
haven't they upgraded.

And by the way, there has been volumes written on
how to make Vista behave. Your statement about W-7
being a clone of Vista is essentially correct and
that's what all of this written material does. If
followed, it makes Vista behave like W-7.

Any reason why I should move on to
Windows 7?

Not if you can make Vista behave like W-7.

It apparently (I don't have a W-7 box yet to form
a definitive opinion) actually works as advertised.
That statement doesn't imply that the OS actually
does everything you tell it to (as does Ubuntu)
but that what MS says about it is true which was
not the case with Vista. And yes, calling Vista
"****" is derogatory to ****.

I doubt W-7 is any better than Vista since it is nothing but a clone of
Vista.

From those who have W-7 including friends and the
writers at "Windows Secrets" newsletter, W-7 IS a
whole lot better than Vista and you don't have to
be a geek (see your critique of Ubuntu below) to
make it work right.

By the way, your Linux (Ubuntu) is for geeks. No normal person should ever
venture near it. Just check out the Linux chat rooms and forums if you don't
believe me. Most of those guys never know what the hell they are talking
about. It is far better to pay the big bucks and let Microsoft do all the
work.

Well in my experience MS has done a whole lot of
work and it still doesn't work right. For example,
my home network is essentially hard wired. I never
joined the wireless revolution. But I have always
had the equipment to do so.

To be able to get emails and browser stuff on my
smart phone, I set up the wireless modem/router
to activate its wireless capabilities. Just for
****s and giggles, I unplugged one of my Ubuntu
computers and tried to log on to the wireless
network. It just worked. No fooling around, no
downloads, no special tweaks. It just worked.
I tried the other Ubuntu box, same result. Well
that worked good so I thought I'd try the two
Windoze computers (one of which is also a
Ubuntu box) to see it that would work. I still
haven't gotten my wife's Vista box to work
correctly with the wireless network and my
laptop with Win2K works fine... now... after
downloading software and some tweaks. Further
my laptop will not initiate the program that
installs wireless capability automagically, it
needs to be loaded manually each time I log on.
So much for MS having done all the work. Bleah!

(snip)
I'm not going to get into the vinyl vs digital (of
some sort) except to say that a friend of mine who
is old enough to be a curmudgeon on this subject
has embraced digital completely and has equipment
to re-record his old vinyl onto digital media,
scratches and all.

Digital is all about convenience. It is not about superior sound. This is
something that all audiophiles know.

You're right. Most devotion to vinyl is pure snobbery.
Old September 2nd 11, 08:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
T°m Sherm@n

wrote in message
[...]

The worst thing about Vista is that becomes slow and unstable after a
few months of use. Unless you like doing a complete system
re-installation 3 or 4 times a year, Vista stinks.

Even Hitler is better than Vista: http://xkcd.com/528/.

Old September 2nd 11, 10:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"VtSkier" wrote in message
On 09/02/2011 09:01 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Digital is all about convenience. It is not about superior sound. This is
something that all audiophiles know.

You're right. Most devotion to vinyl is pure snobbery.

You may know something about computer operating systems, but you obviously
know nothing about sound systems. Audiophiles are few and far between.
Almost everyone is more than satisfied with crappy sound if it is convenient
to access it. Long live analog!

Thus spake Zarathustra!