Mountain Biking More Popular Than Ever

Old July 20th 12, 01:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain Biking More Popular Than Ever

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:51:44 PM UTC-7, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:00:23 AM UTC-7, Blackblade wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:55:10 PM UTC+1, Trevor wrote:
>
> > I am well aware that I am *not* invulnerable, as I'm sure every other
> > mountain biker is. Why don't you give us a break and try going after
> > skiers or rock climbers for a while? (Although I'm sure they're also
> > already aware of their mortality.) Or maybe some hikers - I know one in
> > particular who seems to think it's so safe that he probably needs a
> > reminder that it's not.
>
> However, as the article in the Lancet this week shows the most dangerous thing of all is to do nothing. Over 5 million deaths caused by inactivity !

That says NOTHING about teh danger of mountain biking.

> And, given that Mountain Bike Rider publishes, every month, pictures sent in by injured riders and has, on its site, a Top 10 Worst Crashes article I don't think anyone is pretending that accidents don't happen.

Yes, you are. No mountain biker has EVER initiated a discussion of accidents in this newsgroup, in almost 20 years. Only I have.

>We all know they do ... we just choose to take the risk ... greater or lower depending on activity type, speed and location.

BS. The people who have died or became seriously injured wouldn't have mountain biked, had they known the danger. DUH! They all assume that it will only happen to someone else.

P.S. We won't have to wrack our brains trying to think of an appropriate obituary in the future for mountain bikers. It's always going to be "WHOOPS, another dead mountain biker".
Old July 20th 12, 11:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

Mike Vandeman wrote:

However, as the article in the Lancet this week shows the most dangerous thing of all is to do nothing. Over 5 million deaths caused by inactivity !

That says NOTHING about teh danger of mountain biking.

No, it doesn't ... did I say it did ? It simply points out that being inactive, doing nothing, causes a large number of deaths.

And, given that Mountain Bike Rider publishes, every month, pictures sent in by injured riders and has, on its site, a Top 10 Worst Crashes article I don't think anyone is pretending that accidents don't happen.

Yes, you are. No mountain biker has EVER initiated a discussion of accidents in this newsgroup, in almost 20 years. Only I have.

I don't know about this newsgroup but it's certainly discussed. Here's just one of thousands (use Google) on a MOUNTAINBIKING site.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/neck-in...tats-2010.html

So, your proposition that Mountainbikers don't discuss injuries is completely false.

We all know they do ... we just choose to take the risk ... greater or lower depending on activity type, speed and location.

BS. The people who have died or became seriously injured wouldn't have mountain biked, had they known the danger. DUH! They all assume that it will only happen to someone else.

This is an assertion not in any way supported by facts. Millions of people, every day, choose to engage in hazardous activities with a risk of injury and death with full congnisance of those risks. Sure, we (I am one of them) use mitigation factors to minimise those risks but we accept that they are there and that accidents happen.

P.S. We won't have to wrack our brains trying to think of an appropriate obituary in the future for mountain bikers. It's always going to be "WHOOPS, another dead mountain biker".

And that's why I would classify you as a borderline sociopath without any empathy. Mountainbikers themselves send in pictures of their injuries and joke and laugh about them ... a friend of mine just broke his collarbone and has posted pictures on Facebook about it.

The point at which someone is seriously injured, such as the tragic case of the guy who is only borderline conscious with brain injury or that someone dies is the point at which the laughing stops ... if one has any conscience. It doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree with their activities or position ... the civilised human being understands that such a tragedy is not for exploitation. Clearly, you don't understand this at all.
Old July 20th 12, 04:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shraga

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:51:44 PM UTC-4, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:00:23 AM UTC-7, Blackblade wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:55:10 PM UTC+1, Trevor wrote:
>
> > I am well aware that I am *not* invulnerable, as I'm sure every other
> > mountain biker is. Why don't you give us a break and try going after
> > skiers or rock climbers for a while? (Although I'm sure they're also
> > already aware of their mortality.) Or maybe some hikers - I know one in
> > particular who seems to think it's so safe that he probably needs a
> > reminder that it's not.
>
> However, as the article in the Lancet this week shows the most dangerous thing of all is to do nothing. Over 5 million deaths caused by inactivity !

That says NOTHING about teh danger of mountain biking.

> And, given that Mountain Bike Rider publishes, every month, pictures sent in by injured riders and has, on its site, a Top 10 Worst Crashes article I don't think anyone is pretending that accidents don't happen.

Yes, you are. No mountain biker has EVER initiated a discussion of accidents in this newsgroup, in almost 20 years. Only I have.

Lie #1: alt.mountain-bike hasn't existed for 20 years. You also did not contribute to this newsgroup when it was new.
Lie #2: Back when this newsgroup included actual mountain bike content, it was quite common for riders to discuss their accidents, even serious ones. One notorious example that went viral:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ke/bXMPFzyDPoc

Bill continues to have this crash posted on his web page.

Why did you lie?

Old July 20th 12, 06:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Trevor[_7_]

On 7/19/2012 5:58 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:55:10 AM UTC-7, Trevor wrote:
On 7/18/2012 10:14 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Monday, July 16, 2012 2:36:00 PM UTC-7, Trevor wrote:
>> > BS. The article is about VIEWING mountain biking, not DOING it. People love to see accidents and gore.
>> >

>> Which is somehow different than your inhuman glorying in the deaths of
>> mountain bikers?
>
> Thanks for demonstrating for the billionth time that mountain bikers ALWAYS lie. Show me where you see "glorying", LIAR. I publicize accidents because that's the only way to protect idiot mountain bikers from themselves. They think they are invulnerable.

Your constant posting of stories using provocative subject lines and
commentary certainly comes across as glorying. "Doing Him a BIG Favor!"
"Whoops, ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!" "Evolution in action!"

Where in those phrases do you see "glorying". You are simply LYING. Stealing his bike was obviously doing him a big favor, preventing him from causing brain damage AGAIN. Another dead mountain biker simply states a fact. Live with it. Evolution in action is just basic biology. As usual, mountain bikers are incapable of telling the truth about their disgusting, selfish, destructive sport.

If you were actually showing concern for the people dying, my first
impression would not have been that you were glorying in their deaths.
Instead, what comes to mind is a man sitting at his keyboard with a
gleeful grin on is face as he posts yet another story showing how
horrible mountain bikers are. If that is not glorying, I guess I don't
know what is.
Old July 20th 12, 09:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:44:04 -0600, Trevor
wrote:

If that is not glorying, I guess I don't
know what is.

It's malicious trolling.

And I feel guilty about cluttering up the net with a response even
though it's indirect.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old July 21st 12, 06:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Friday, July 20, 2012 10:44:04 AM UTC-7, Trevor wrote:
On 7/19/2012 5:58 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:55:10 AM UTC-7, Trevor wrote:

>> > Thanks for demonstrating for the billionth time that mountain bikers ALWAYS lie. Show me where you see "glorying", LIAR. I publicize accidents because that's the only way to protect idiot mountain bikers from themselves. They think they are invulnerable.
>> >

>> Your constant posting of stories using provocative subject lines and
>> commentary certainly comes across as glorying. "Doing Him a BIG Favor!"
>> "Whoops, ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!" "Evolution in action!"
>
> Where in those phrases do you see "glorying". You are simply LYING. Stealing his bike was obviously doing him a big favor, preventing him from causing brain damage AGAIN. Another dead mountain biker simply states a fact. Live with it. Evolution in action is just basic biology. As usual, mountain bikers are incapable of telling the truth about their disgusting, selfish, destructive sport.

If you were actually showing concern for the people dying, my first
impression would not have been that you were glorying in their deaths.
Instead, what comes to mind is a man sitting at his keyboard with a
gleeful grin on is face as he posts yet another story showing how
horrible mountain bikers are. If that is not glorying, I guess I don't
know what is.

That's in YOUR mind, not mine. So you LIED.
Old July 23rd 12, 09:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Trevor[_7_]

On 7/20/2012 11:53 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:

If you were actually showing concern for the people dying, my first
impression would not have been that you were glorying in their deaths.
Instead, what comes to mind is a man sitting at his keyboard with a
gleeful grin on is face as he posts yet another story showing how
horrible mountain bikers are. If that is not glorying, I guess I don't
know what is.

That's in YOUR mind, not mine. So you LIED.

I see. So if you are the only person in the world that understands how
your mind works, that makes the rest of us liars because we interpret
things in a more rational way?
Old July 24th 12, 05:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Monday, July 23, 2012 1:29:31 PM UTC-7, Trevor wrote:
On 7/20/2012 11:53 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:

>> If you were actually showing concern for the people dying, my first
>> impression would not have been that you were glorying in their deaths.
>> Instead, what comes to mind is a man sitting at his keyboard with a
>> gleeful grin on is face as he posts yet another story showing how
>> horrible mountain bikers are. If that is not glorying, I guess I don't
>> know what is.
>
> That's in YOUR mind, not mine. So you LIED.

I see. So if you are the only person in the world that understands how
your mind works, that makes the rest of us liars because we interpret
things in a more rational way?

No, you simply FABRICATED "glorying" out of thin air -- otherwise known as "LYING". Nothing new, for a mountain biker.
Old July 24th 12, 05:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Monday, July 23, 2012 9:22:44 PM UTC-7, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Monday, July 23, 2012 1:29:31 PM UTC-7, Trevor wrote:
> On 7/20/2012 11:53 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
>
> >> If you were actually showing concern for the people dying, my first
> >> impression would not have been that you were glorying in their deaths.
> >> Instead, what comes to mind is a man sitting at his keyboard with a
> >> gleeful grin on is face as he posts yet another story showing how
> >> horrible mountain bikers are. If that is not glorying, I guess I don't
> >> know what is.
> >
> > That's in YOUR mind, not mine. So you LIED.
> >

> I see. So if you are the only person in the world that understands how
> your mind works, that makes the rest of us liars because we interpret
> things in a more rational way?

No, you simply FABRICATED "glorying" out of thin air -- otherwise known as "LYING". Nothing new, for a mountain biker.

If you don't know what a "lie" is, ask your mommie to explain it to you.
Old August 2nd 12, 08:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
SMS

On 7/13/2012 10:36 AM, wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/moun...ular-than-ever

New mountain bike sales are doing very well, even in a down economy
where road bike sales have stagnated.

The big increase in mountain biking is from hikers taking up mountain
biking. In California, state parks have been converting some hiking
trails into trails that are also suitable for mountain biking in order
to accommodate the desires of park users. It's a win-win for the park
users and for the financially strapped parks as well.