"Cycling is not a sport"

Old July 19th 03, 10:16 AM
Robert Oliver

Default "Cycling is not a sport"

It took a while, but we have one of our first "cycling is not a sport"
articles of the year, along with a healthy dose of anti-Lanceism:

http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/s/armstrong/030718.html

The author doesn't actually seem to have watched any of this year's tour,
but that's not surprising, as those that write this kind of drivel rarely
know what they are talking about.

Old July 19th 03, 11:22 AM
Darren S.

"Robert Oliver" wrote in message
It took a while, but we have one of our first "cycling is not a sport"
articles of the year, along with a healthy dose of anti-Lanceism:

http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/s/armstrong/030718.html

The author doesn't actually seem to have watched any of this year's tour,
but that's not surprising, as those that write this kind of drivel rarely
know what they are talking about.

Americans: the ******s of the 21st century.

---

Old July 19th 03, 06:24 PM
Patrick O'Grady

In article ink.net, Nev
Shea wrote:

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
:

"Robert Oliver" wrote in message
It took a while, but we have one of our first "cycling is not a
sport" articles of the year, along with a healthy dose of
anti-Lanceism:

http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/s/armstrong/030718.html

The author doesn't actually seem to have watched any of this year's
tour, but that's not surprising, as those that write this kind of
drivel rarely know what they are talking about.

They're just trolling.

Note that ESPN printed that article less than a week after naming LA
the Male Athlete of the Year at the ESPY awards.

Also interesting is that the author is a sports columnist for the Denver
Post. One of his colleagues there, Woody Paige, is on that show "Around
The Horn" on ESPN (comes on before Pardon the Interruption). Anyway, just
a few days ago, Woody got "face time" at the end and used it to talk
about how the best story of the Tour is Tyler Hamilton. He was excited.

So this guy probably got his balls busted by Woody at the office and
wrote that **** in response.

NS

It's an old gag ... the newspaper weenies trot this stuff out every year,
the same way the Clear Channel deejays retread their "door the cyclists"
ratings-boosters. Get a bunch of hate mail and score yourself a raise
(unless, of course, you write for a bike magazine).

Cheers,

Patrick O'Grady
Staff Infection
VeloNews
Old July 19th 03, 07:07 PM
Scott Downie

That one isn't even a very convincing piece of tabloid journalism .

--
Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors.

Old July 19th 03, 11:17 PM
brian roth

"Robert Oliver" wrote in message ...
It took a while, but we have one of our first "cycling is not a sport"
articles of the year, along with a healthy dose of anti-Lanceism:

http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/s/armstrong/030718.html

The author doesn't actually seem to have watched any of this year's tour,
but that's not surprising, as those that write this kind of drivel rarely
know what they are talking about.

Note the page 2 byline. It's all sctick.
Old July 20th 03, 02:16 AM
Darren S.

"Dashi Toshii" wrote in message
snip
Americans: the ******s of the 21st century.

Don't you know that it is impolite to call names?

As far as much of the rest of the world is concerned, what I said is fairly
accurate.

Is your mom still screwing you?

Not since menopause =(

*PLONK*

I'm crushed.

D.

Dashii

---

Old July 23rd 03, 01:00 PM
TbosS

I sure hope this isn't the "all-American" opinion. Else all hope is lost
(for Americans that is ;-)).

I find sports fascinating, also if they arent practiced or popular in my
country. I try to get to know sports I'm not familiar with, and each
time I find that new sports also offer excitement, strategy etc.

--
www.weblock.tk

Enjoy the Tour de France LIVE on your Desktop!

"La Grande WEBlock Boucle Bar"
http://weblock.webuildit.nl/index.php?itemid=1246

Old July 23rd 03, 02:06 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

john- So says SF Gate columnist:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../2003/07/22/fo
ol227.DTL
BRBR

So the guy's an idiot...next question...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 23rd 03, 06:44 PM
Corey Green

(john riley) wrote in message . com...
So says SF Gate columnist:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...22/fool227.DTL

This guy is actually returning email, so drop him a line. He
challenged me to hit a golf ball 250 yards in return for him riding a
bike. Of course he then compared me to a Raider fan.

Sounds like he is one of those drunk Nascar fans that has no clue when
he is wrong, but typically gets his chin in the way when defender his
idiotic position.
Old July 23rd 03, 06:54 PM
Corey Green

(john riley) wrote in message . com...
So says SF Gate columnist:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...22/fool227.DTL

BTW - the columnists name is Steve Tady.
He is the Sport Editor at the San Francisco Chronicle.
His email is
Phone number: 415-777-6333

Runner's Knee and Cycling Running Bear General 13 July 27th 04 04:07 AM
More Paris Cycling - Along Southern Rim Elisa Francesca Roselli General 3 May 26th 04 02:01 AM
waterproof cycling jacket bpr General 19 April 24th 04 03:34 PM
LAB? David L. Johnson General 171 April 3rd 04 09:13 PM
Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 05:56 AM