drill bit size ? and skinny making idea

Old September 26th 05, 02:56 AM
teachndad

Default drill bit size ? and skinny making idea

I have a 5/16" corkscrew drill bit that I want to use for building a
trials obstacle. Is this going to be too much play for using 1/4"
bolts? I doubt a 1/16" will make a difference and create a loose
connection, but if I am jumping on it, will it loosen up? I bought the
5/16" drill bit a while ago thinking that the 1/4" drill bit would
create a hole too tight for a 1/4" bolt. That may have been in error.
Should have asked first.

I am going to take one of those green cylindrical fence posts you can
buy at home depot and attach it lengthwise on top of a 2 x 6 and then
practice riding on a skinny. They are about 7 feet long. The post is
perhaps about 3" in diameter with a tapered point at one end that I will
cut off. I plan to drill a hole near each end and one in the middle.
Run bolts through it in those spots. I will also use some small blocks
of wood as chalks on either side to help with stability. Then, finally,
add some 26" 2x4s as stablizers perpindicular at each end.

--
teachndad - ONE for the...Off Road

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greate...Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

Old September 26th 05, 03:43 AM
gerblefranklin

Shouldn't be too much play, although it may be worth your time to just
buy a 9/32" bit anyways. Use carriage bolts and you should be fine.

I would reccomend bolting it to blocks with v's in them for support. You
can cut the v's wiht a handsaw.

BTW, that's 99% likely to be treated wood, with plenty of arsenic, so
might want to avoid huffing the sawdust . Seriously, just clean up
afteryourself.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

Old September 26th 05, 04:59 AM
One on one

I would have used a 1/4" bit. 1/4" bolt fits fine in a 1/4" hole.
Definitely avoid breathing in the dust from the pressure treated wood. A
dust mask is a must.

--
One on one - Founder and member of GUA

"However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
he/she could black out."
-Memphis Mud

I went further than I had planned and had a testicle break at about 25
ks
-onebyone

One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old September 26th 05, 04:35 PM
harper

As Tom Blackwood will attest you don't need bolts at all. Just make
ramps out of flexy 2x4's running up to a cross piece resting on flimsy
sawhorses. Sure, you have to set it back up every once in awhile but you
don't waste all that time bolting stuff together.

Wear a nerf suit.

--
harper - HOT!

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"You guys aren't thinking this through. Hey, where's your other... BANG.
" - Brian MacKenzie

Old September 26th 05, 08:10 PM
Erant

I worked in a metal workshop for a vacation job, and when I had to bolt
something to something I always had to use the next size up. So, if I
had to bolt something with an M4, I used an 4.5mm drillbit. I'm not sure
how this translates to inches, but just use something that comes close.
Basically, if you just screw in the bolts nice 'n tight, nothing's going
to be moving about.

--
Erant - I know how to change this title!

Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986

Old September 26th 05, 10:54 PM
carsonpalooza

you want to use a bigger bit since it pulls the top board down instead
of just attaching them; that makes it a lot stronger.

--
carsonpalooza - www.oddtodd.com

I'm jealous
I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
I think it really does help with performance.
I like your hair. You look like my friend.
Good luck finding a working pirate
That site is making me drool.
Edit... next time, post something like this in JC, and a string of
question marks does not constitute a title.
I was drooling over all those spools.
-Dave aka fcwegnm0b

carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085