New contender for 2003 TdF announced on SBS

Old July 21st 03, 09:55 AM
Steve Hubbard

Default New contender for 2003 TdF announced on SBS

Steven Hodge, SBS¹ expert cycling analyst, announced last night the arrival
of a new contender for this years Grand Boucle * Jan Ullrish!

Old July 22nd 03, 07:04 AM
Leon

Screw the name. and how we pronouce it. we all know who he is talking about
when he says "Ullrich" .
Why dont we import a scottish for the TDF announcer? That would makes it
more interesting.

"Shabby" wrote in message
As much as I think Hodgo is a tool, the German pronunciation of Ullrich
is more like "Ullrish" than the accepted "Ullrick" type sound that Phil
and Paul use:

2. "Ch" following "e", "i", "ä", "ö", "ü", the diphthongs "eu" or "äu"
and the consonants "l", "n" or "r". Whereas "ch" in the previous
instance was a sound formed in the back of the mouth, this is one
formed in the front of the mouth. Imagine saying the English words
"humour" or "humane", but breathe with the tip of the tongue touching
the back of the lower front teeth.

Realistically you'll never say it properly unless you are a native
German speaker.

Old July 24th 03, 02:01 PM

..... and further to that, why does the other presenter on SBS think that any
European cyclists name should be pronounced with an faux European accent ?

He doesn't pronounce the American cyclists names with an American accent or
the English with an English accent.

It ****s me.

--
Tony
(Feels like nit picking again)

Remove the .fish after .com to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸((((º
"Steve Hubbard" wrote in message
Steven Hodge, SBS' expert cycling analyst, announced last night the arrival
of a new contender for this years Grand Boucle - Jan Ullrish!

Old July 25th 03, 01:49 AM
Theo Bekkers

"((((º" wrote
.... and further to that, why does the other presenter on SBS think

that any
European cyclists name should be pronounced with an faux European

accent ?
It ****s me.
(Feels like nit picking again)

That's a very small nit you're picking there Tony. My surname is Dutch
and Bekkers is pronounced the same in English as in Dutch. People tend
to insist on spelling it with ck but shrug. One person (in the USA)
corrected it to ck on a form I filled in. :-)

My mother's maiden name is Schoots which is invariably pronounced in
English as Scoots or Shoots. My mother would not audibly recognise
either as being her name. She would not respond to it. You cannot
pronounce Schoots without a Dutch accent and few people whose first
language is not Dutch or German could enunciate the 'sch' sound
anyway. People prefer you to get their names right in spelling and
pronunciation. The presenters are only trying to accommodate that.

Cheers

Theo
You probably didn't say Tay-oh the way my mother did but I'm used to
Cee-o.
Bill Gates spellchecker tried to change my mum's name to Scoots with
Shoots as a second option. LOL.

Old July 25th 03, 12:53 PM
Andrew Swan

You cannot
pronounce Schoots without a Dutch accent and few people whose first
language is not Dutch or German could enunciate the 'sch' sound
anyway.

A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it) is
pretty funny.

&roo

Old July 25th 03, 01:13 PM
Theo Bekkers

"Andrew Swan" wrote

A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it)

is
pretty funny.

It sure is. Can't even get the poor guy's first name right.

Theo