Aussie 6 day races - why no more?

Old July 30th 03, 02:00 PM
Spider1977

Default Aussie 6 day races - why no more?

In the thread on Aussie 10 best cyclists we started talking about the
achievements of Danny Clark, probably the greatest 6 day rider the world
has ever seen.

These events used to be really popular, even getting TV coverage. Now we
never hear about them in Australia. Are they still popular in Europe? I
think it's kieren events in Japan that draw the crowds, although I'm not
too sure what they involve (Danny was pretty good at them as
well).

With the popularity of the TdeF and Olympic cycling, coupled with Aussie
success, you'd think it's time we had some "made for TV" cycling events.
Great exposure for the sport and great entertainment for the viewers -
especially if a few "characters" are cultivated e.g. big, bad, ugly
sprinters having a bit of biffo on the sprints.

What do you think?

Old July 30th 03, 04:12 PM

Apparently 6 day races are dying a slow death in Europe. (Maybe because
Danny Clark retired..?) Though sprint king Erik Zabel continues spending
his winters racing them and the Aussie/Belgium/Aussie pair Matthew
Gilmore and Scott McGrory seem to be dominating.

Jobie Dajka won the biggest Kieren series in Japan this year. Kieren is
motor paced till 1-1/2 laps to go when the motorcycle peels off and all
hell breaks loose

Problem with TV, is there are too many other sports competing for air
time. TV just take the easy route and support the biggest crowd pullers.

GK

Old July 31st 03, 02:07 AM
hippy

"g" wrote in message
Problem with TV, is there are too many other sports competing for air
time. TV just take the easy route and support the biggest crowd

pullers.

No, just one crap one taking up all the airtime.. football!!!
Arrrrr! If I see another football show I'll sell my tv, spend
the proceeds on football merchandise and then burn it all
in front of the MCG!
I'm still curious about track racing.. 6 day racing sounds
like my kinda pain :-)

hippy

Old July 31st 03, 05:10 AM
Paul J

No, just one crap one taking up all the airtime.. football!!! Arrrrr!
If I see another football show

I have to agree with you there. But then of course on the rare occasion
when there's no football (heaven forbid) we are treated to the darts and
tenpin bowling finals replays from 1980 or some such rubbish. That's
Aussie sports media for you.

I'll sell my tv, spend the proceeds on football merchandise and then
burn it all in front of the MCG! I'm still curious about track racing..
6 day racing sounds like my kinda pain :-)

Better be careful what you go burning these days. I think some people
want to bring in the death penalty for burning flags. And I think that
dirty old football jerseys may be considered to be national icons on a
par with the flag for some.

Old July 31st 03, 05:10 AM
Paul J

No, just one crap one taking up all the airtime.. football!!! Arrrrr!
If I see another football show

I have to agree with you there. But then of course on the rare occasion
when there's no football (heaven forbid) we are treated to the darts and
tenpin bowling finals replays from 1980 or some such rubbish. That's
Aussie sports media for you.

I'll sell my tv, spend the proceeds on football merchandise and then
burn it all in front of the MCG! I'm still curious about track racing..
6 day racing sounds like my kinda pain :-)

Better be careful what you go burning these days. I think some people
want to bring in the death penalty for burning flags. And I think that
dirty old football jerseys may be considered to be national icons on a
par with the flag for some.

Flyer notice: Memorial Day Weekend Bike Races (Quad Cities/ Iowa) [email protected] Racing 0 April 22nd 04 11:35 PM
Fun races MattB Mountain Biking 3 August 27th 03 01:48 PM
RR part 2 days at the races Penny S. Mountain Biking 6 July 29th 03 02:50 PM