UUU public webpage maintenance

Old August 22nd 04, 03:07 PM
Richard Loxley

Default UUU public webpage maintenance

Hi everyone,

As I announced about a month ago, the UUU public webpage
at http://www.unicycle.org.uk/ is being moved to a new
server.

It has taken longer than expected to do the move, due to
ISP problems, but the move should be taking place over the
next 24 hours.

If you have any problems seeing the website after the move,
please let me know.

NOTE: This also affects the BUC webpages and Mostyn convention
webpages, as they are also hosted within the unicycle.org.uk
domain.

- Richard

(remove Doesn't Like Spam from my email to reply)

Old August 22nd 04, 04:14 PM
leo

What's the problem?
If you run the vhost on both servers simultanious nobody will notice
your DNS change.

--
leo - errorist

Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
866-UNI-CYCL
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) (about me)
'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) (for all unicyclists and
alike)

Dutch radio reporter Jaques Chapel in Athens, checking an ISDN line
before an Olympic radio broadcast while getting used to security
measures: "and suddenly I have a soldier pointing a machine gun in my
back. So, I talk English, he shouts Greek. So what do you do? Just
ignore him and finish the job".
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Old August 26th 04, 12:11 AM
Richard Loxley

leo wrote:

What's the problem?
If you run the vhost on both servers simultanious nobody will notice
your DNS change.

Indeed, but I always err on the side of caution.

Particularly as the move to the new server necessitated
a change to the underlying file structure to allow
appropriate ftp access to different parts of it (Roger
only had 2 unicycling sites on the old server, but I
have 8 or so business sites on mine, so was unwilling to
allow ftp access to the top level like Roger did).

As a result there was a fair bit of configuring URLs to
paths to be done, and I did make one mistake (which I
noticed and correctly within a couple of hours of the DNS
updating at my site).

So all-in-all it went smooth-ish.

- Richard