Is my rim going to fail?

Old May 20th 05, 01:42 PM
Bob Wheeler

Default Is my rim going to fail?

I've built quite a few wheels over the years but have never had this
particular problem -- maybe I was lucky. I built a rear wheel using an
old Rigida (tubular) rim. After about 300 miles, I noticed that one of
the interior grommets form an eyelet had broken free and was sliding on
the spoke. Looking closely, I seem to see others that may break free.
The spoke tension does not seem to have changed. Should I scrap this rim?
--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Old May 20th 05, 01:54 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Bob Wheeler wrote:
I've built quite a few wheels over the years but have never had this
particular problem -- maybe I was lucky. I built a rear wheel using

an
old Rigida (tubular) rim. After about 300 miles, I noticed that one

of
the interior grommets form an eyelet had broken free and was sliding

on
the spoke. Looking closely, I seem to see others that may break free.

The spoke tension does not seem to have changed. Should I scrap this

rim?
--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Randomness comes in bunches.

Well, the outside of the eyelet holds the nipple, but the eyelet or
socket has broken in two so the nipple may not be supported very well.
I'd say if the wheel stays true, ride it, if it doesn't, new rim.