Freewheel Sprocket Removal

Old March 18th 11, 08:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan[_7_]

Default Freewheel Sprocket Removal

I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is to
big .
The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody know
where I can buy one?
I am in Perth WA
Thanks

Old March 18th 11, 12:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:
I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is to
big .
The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody know
where I can buy one?
I am in Perth WA
Thanks

Why not take the wheel into a cycle shop that does repairs and ask them
to remove the cluster. (most likely free)
Old March 18th 11, 12:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Rob" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:
I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is
big .
The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody
know
where I can buy one?
I am in Perth WA
Thanks

Why not take the wheel into a cycle shop that does repairs and ask them to
remove the cluster. (most likely free)

That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.

Theo

Old March 18th 11, 01:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Theo Bekkers" wrote
On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:

I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is
big .
The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody
know
where I can buy one?
I am in Perth WA

That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.

Theo

I forgot to say, I am in Perth WA. Where are you?

Theo

Old March 19th 11, 07:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 19/03/2011 12:00 AM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Theo wrote
On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:

I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is
big .
The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody
know
where I can buy one?
I am in Perth WA

That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.

Theo

I forgot to say, I am in Perth WA. Where are you?

Theo

Near Sydney.

Have you looked up park tools? to find the correct tool? Looked up ebay
for the part you want?

http://www.parktool.com/category/freewheel-cassette
Old March 19th 11, 11:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan[_7_]

"Rob" wrote in message
On 19/03/2011 12:00 AM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Theo wrote
On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:

I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have
is
big .
The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody
know
where I can buy one?
I am in Perth WA

That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.

Theo

I forgot to say, I am in Perth WA. Where are you?

Theo

Near Sydney.

Have you looked up park tools? to find the correct tool? Looked up ebay
for the part you want?

http://www.parktool.com/category/freewheel-cassette

Thanks Rob, I did see that but I am not sure what size they are selling. I
already purchased one from the local bike shop but it is the wrong size and
they don't have any other size.
Alan

Old March 19th 11, 01:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 19/03/2011 10:50 PM, Alan wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

BTW You need a whip as well to hold the cluster. I made mine from a old
chain welded to a piece of metal.
Old March 19th 11, 07:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Alan wrote:

Thanks Rob, I did see that but I am not sure what size they are selling. I
already purchased one from the local bike shop but it is the wrong size and
they don't have any other size.

Park Tool lists only one size for Shimano clusters, so that'll be
the newer larger size.

My new version measures about 22mm across the splines, whereas my
old version measures a little under 20mm. Both have 12 splines.

I'm in Canberra, so not much help to you.

Not even http://www.sjscycles.co.uk seems to list the old one, so
I suspect it's no longer available.

If you're not going to reuse the old cluster, you can remove it
without a tool, destroying it in the process. To quote Sheldon
Brown from http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html "to remove
and discard an old freewheel for which you have no tool, you
must disassemble the freewheel and clamp the core into a vise
-- left side of the wheel up -- then unscrew the wheel
counterclockwise"

John
Old March 19th 11, 07:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Rob wrote:

BTW You need a whip as well to hold the cluster. I made mine from a old
chain welded to a piece of metal.

You'd need the whip for a cassette, but not for a
freewheel/cluster.

John