Terrible story, unbelievable behaviour from Frank Stubbs.

Old November 24th 09, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default Terrible story, unbelievable behaviour from Frank Stubbs.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...94236230352300
Old November 24th 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 06:40:47 -0800 (PST), spindrift
wrote:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...94236230352300

Someone rode up the LHS of a lorry at the traffic lights on a cycle.

The lorry turned left and the cyclist was killed.

Moral of the story: do not ride up the LHS of any vehicle waiting at
traffic lights.

--
Many cyclists are proving the need for registration by their contempt for the Highway Code and laws.

The answer:
All cyclists over 16 to take compulsory test, have compulsory insurance, and be registered.
Registration number to be clearly vizible on the back of mandatory hi-viz vest.
Habitual law breakers' cycles confiscated and crushed.
(With thanks to KeithT for the idea)

Old November 24th 09, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Judith M Smith wrote:

spindrift wrote:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...94236230352300

Someone rode up the LHS of a lorry at the traffic lights on a cycle.
The lorry turned left and the cyclist was killed.
Moral of the story: do not ride up the LHS of any vehicle waiting at
traffic lights.

There's a bit more to it than that.

The story (as posted by the dead man's brother) is harrowing distressing. It
is so distressing that one is forced to project the situation onto one's own
(and family) circumstances. It doesn't bear thinking about, even if some of
the account is obvious - if understandable - surmise rather than direct
knowledge.

There but for the grace...
Old November 24th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

wrote:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...94236230352300

Someone rode up the LHS of a lorry at the traffic lights on a cycle.

The lorry turned left and the cyclist was killed.

Moral of the story: do not ride up the LHS of any vehicle waiting at
traffic lights.

Thank you for trying to trivialise the death of a human being with a
callous points scoring exercise. To than append your trivial twaddle
about your current trivial rant is just plain despicable.

You are a truly despicable person.

Old November 24th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

wrote:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...94236230352300

Someone rode up the LHS of a lorry at the traffic lights on a cycle.

The lorry turned left and the cyclist was killed.

Moral of the story: do not ride up the LHS of any vehicle waiting at
traffic lights.

Thank you for trying to trivialise the death of a human being with a
callous points scoring exercise. To than append your trivial twaddle
about your current trivial rant is just plain despicable.

You are a truly despicable person.

Go and read the censored group if you don't like this one.

Old November 24th 09, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

wrote:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...94236230352300

Someone rode up the LHS of a lorry at the traffic lights on a cycle.

The lorry turned left and the cyclist was killed.

Moral of the story: do not ride up the LHS of any vehicle waiting at
traffic lights.

Thank you for trying to trivialise the death of a human being with a
callous points scoring exercise. To than append your trivial twaddle
about your current trivial rant is just plain despicable.

You are a truly despicable person.

Many thanks.

It is a tear jerking story - it is not even all statements of fact.

The death of Princess Diana was also truly awful.

If I want to read tear jerkers I will read an appropriate group - if
such exists.

People here *should* be asking why did this happen - how do you stop
it rather than having a little tear.

Still - if it makes you fell better - keep on doing it.

Old November 24th 09, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

wrote:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...94236230352300

Someone rode up the LHS of a lorry at the traffic lights on a cycle.

The lorry turned left and the cyclist was killed.

Moral of the story: do not ride up the LHS of any vehicle waiting at
traffic lights.

Thank you for trying to trivialise the death of a human being with a
callous points scoring exercise. To than append your trivial twaddle
about your current trivial rant is just plain despicable.

Sorry, I agree with bitch Judy on this one ride up the inner of any
vehicle and you get what you're asking for/deserve.
The solution is clearly some form of cycle test.
Old November 24th 09, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:23:44 +0000, Happi Monday
wrote:

Sorry, I agree with bitch Judy on this one ride up the inner of any
vehicle and you get what you're asking for/deserve.
The solution is clearly some form of cycle test.

The driver was convicted of killing the cyclist. The driver then
tried to cover it up, showing that he knew full well what he had done.
The cyclist was in front of the lorry, was banging on the front of the
cab, this was absolutely not the standard riding up the left
collision. All the driver had to do was brake, but he did not. As the
judge said, he showed "callous indifference" and I agree with the
brother that it is a gross failure of the legal system that he is not
now serving life for manslaughter, and he should certainly never be
allowed to drive a goods vehicle again. I simply do not want to share
the roads with the kind of person who will try to dispose of evidence
rather than stop and render aid to someone they have fatally injured.

To use this to further an anti-cyclist agenda, as judith does, is
entirely consistent with the "callous indifference" shown by the
driver, who also tried to blame the cyclist. The court found this to
be specious to the criminal standard of proof: beyond reasonable
doubt.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc
GPG public key at http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old November 24th 09, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

wrote:

[...]

"But instead of reporting the accident, panicking Stubbs is believed
to have pulled over onto a layby, pulled out the wedged, mangled bike
from his lorry and thrown it into some undergrowth on the Ossett
Bypass along with Mr Spink's passport, other documents and two
panniers which the cyclist had been carrying...."

Judge Penelope Belcher said his behaviour after the accident had been
"callous" and he had shown total disregard for Mr Spink and his
family.

"You sought to prevent any proper investigation into the circumstances
of Mr Spink's death," she said. "You pulled the bike out from under
the lorry. It was plainly damaged.

"You must have realised you had collided with a pedal cyclist and that
the cyclist must have suffered serious injury, and given the
circumstances of the bike being lodged under the lorry, you must have
realised that the cyclist might have been killed.

"You plainly knew, or ought to have known, he was there.

"The exact circumstances are a matter of some dispute...(but] Mr Spink
and his bike ended up beneath your lorry."

She said Stubbs' attempts to "undermine the proper investigation" of
the case had added to Mr Spink's family's pain and the two years since
the event in July 2007 had been "worse and more distressing than the
actual funeral" for them.

"All involved in this case have conducted themselves with dignity,"
she told Stubbs. "Instead you continue, despite the weight of the
evidence against you, (to claim] no knowledge of how the bike came to
be in the undergrowth.

"You have shown no remorse at all.

"In the witness box not once did you express any concern for the
deceased and his family.

"Your attitude was 'it was all the cyclist's fault'.

"You showed callous indifference to Mr Spink's death and that was
reflected in how you disposed of the bike and other items in the
layby.

"It was plain you put concern for yourself above any concern for the
cyclist."
Old November 25th 09, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

wrote:

Sorry, I agree with bitch Judy on this one ride up the inner of any
vehicle and you get what you're asking for/deserve.
The solution is clearly some form of cycle test.

snip

Sorry Sunshine it really is quite clear:

"It is therefore known that our Tony caught the lorry up at the lights
and then proceeded past the lorry to take up a position at the front
of the lights. "

So - he overtook the lorry on the left.

It is dangerous to overtake a lorry on the left when the lorry is
waiting at the lights.

The lorry driver did not see the cyclist.

The cyclists was killed.

Moral of the story : do not "overtake" vehicles on their left -
especially when you are on a cycle.

Please feel free to provide a comprehensive alternative point of view
/disagreement with what I have said.

--

I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets.
I would challenge judith to find the place where I said I encourage my children to wear helmets.

Unbelievable Tom Crispin UK 9 September 16th 07 12:06 AM
Unbelievable [email protected] Recumbent Biking 10 November 18th 06 09:07 PM
Unbelievable ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 24 December 30th 05 09:49 PM
Unbelievable ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 19 December 22nd 04 09:36 AM
Unbelievable Davide Tosi Racing 2 July 8th 04 03:01 AM