Aldi winter gear

Old September 29th 05, 06:01 PM
All I Said Was

Default Aldi winter gear

Has anyone been to Aldi to see their Winter cycling gear (on sale from
today)? Particularly interested in winter gloves, double sided pedals and
jackets. Just wondering if the quality is reasonable?

Old September 29th 05, 06:31 PM
Kinesin

All I Said Was wrote:
Has anyone been to Aldi to see their Winter cycling gear (on sale from
today)? Particularly interested in winter gloves, double sided pedals and
jackets. Just wondering if the quality is reasonable?

Gloves are good, tho could do with a little more padding.
Shoes and pedels are getting the good value award elsewhere.
Overshoes rated highly
Jacket feels toasty, tho could possibly do with some vents!
Gear is much better than the lidl stuff

Get shopping!

--
XBL GameTag: Kinesin

(clear the weather to reply)
Old September 29th 05, 09:18 PM
Wally

All I Said Was wrote:

Has anyone been to Aldi to see their Winter cycling gear (on sale from
today)? Particularly interested in winter gloves, double sided pedals
and jackets. Just wondering if the quality is reasonable?

Went there this morning, and just spent time trying stuff on...

Winter gloves seem okay, but I wouldn't say they were a fantastic fit on my
hands - I'll give 'em a go for 3 quid, though.

The pedals seem like a good deal - all feels solid enough, got spring
tension adjustment, come with a set of cleats. A best buy at 13 quid, I
reckon.

The jacket fits fine, and seems pretty windproof. It has a single wide
pocket on the back, with a side-entry zip.

I got a pair of the thermals as well - they're marked medium size, both on
the packet and on the garments themselves. They don't fit me - too damn
tight all over. All the other kit I got is medium and fits fine, so the
thermals will be going back for exchange to large size, or money back if
they've run out.

Also got a pair of the waterproof trousers. The jury's out on these just
now - I suspect the legs are a bit baggy round the ankles, but they really
need to be tried out.

I particularly liked the non-waterproof winter trousers and the winter
shirts - good, comfy fit.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Old September 29th 05, 09:32 PM
James Weston

What waist, height and chest measurement are you?
I am 30" inch waist, 5 feet 10 inches tall and 38 inch chest. I had imagined
I would be medium for the tights and the jacket. Does that sound right?
Thanks
James

Old September 29th 05, 09:43 PM
Wally

James Weston wrote:
What waist, height and chest measurement are you?
I am 30" inch waist, 5 feet 10 inches tall and 38 inch chest. I had
imagined I would be medium for the tights and the jacket. Does that
sound right? Thanks

Bigger waist (34ish), chest I have no idea, but probably about that (I'm
skinny with a strangely expanding belly). I'm a smidge under 5'10".

The jacket fits fine.

If, by tights, you mean the winter trousers, then I thought they were a good
fit (32" inside leg) - they have bum padding as well, btw, and zips at the
ankles. The trousers/leggings on the thermals were hopeless - could barely
get my feet through, and they wouldn't even pull right up. They really felt
more like size small with the wrong label on them. The top felt similar,
even allowing for my protuberant tum-tum.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Old September 29th 05, 11:44 PM
Martin Bulmer

All I Said Was wrote:
Has anyone been to Aldi to see their Winter cycling gear (on sale from
today)? Particularly interested in winter gloves, double sided pedals
and jackets. Just wondering if the quality is reasonable?

The gloves are good. I don't know about this year's jackets, I didn't need
to look, because last year's jacket is still good. The pedals are fine, I
bought a pair last year. The cleats have a sort of "fish-tail" on them which
won't fit into my other bike's pedals, so I used some basic shimano cleats
instead, which do fit the aldi pedals (so if anyone wants a spare pair of
aldi fishtailed cleats, let me know). Last year my local aldi couldn't sell
the pedals or shoes so discounted them heavily a few weeks after putting
them in the store. I'll wait til the pedals get down to about 9 quid, and
buy a pair for my other other bike. By that time, the cleats have often gone
astray, and you can claim a further discount.
The "Winter Cycling Trousers" have the clue on the packet - a photo of 2
pairs of legs, 1 m, 1 f, wearing the garment, each with about 3 inches of
un-garmented flesh showing at ankle level. They ain't got foot elastics. I
find foot lastics slightly uncomfortable, but absolutely indispensable in
winter. And socks under and over.
Trousers without footlastics are just longish shorts.
--

Martin Bulmer

http://www.nacc.org.uk/content/nurses/petition.asp?e=20

Old September 30th 05, 12:00 AM
MartinM

is any of it markedly different to last years? a trip to Aldi for me is
a trip through darkest Saarf Lundon so it has to be worth it. I found
the winter tights quite uncomfortable and have actually taken the pad
out and sown it into my b*btights; what 's left will eventually become
some leg warmers. Aldi stuff is an interesting comparison between
Italian medium and German medium sizes.

Old September 30th 05, 12:02 AM
druidh

Martin Bulmer wrote:
All I Said Was wrote:

[...]

Actually, I thought last years winter trousers were far, far too long.
Whereas this years are just right (but then I'n not exactly the tallest
in my street!)

druidh
Old September 30th 05, 09:58 AM
iakobski

OTTOMH, I think
30-32" waist = small
38-40" chest = medium

I have 32" waist and the small trousers fit well, you may find them too
short though, I have stumpy legs. I bought medium tops, the jacket is a
good fit and the shirts are maybe a little baggy on the arms (and my
arms ain't skinny).

Old September 30th 05, 10:03 AM
iakobski

Bought some yesterday and wore one of the shirts in this morning.

They are seriously hot! I felt like a boil-in-the-bag dinner when I
arrived at work. I'm going to have to put them away until it gets
really cold.

The coolmax lining seems pretty good, especially at that price. My only
complaint is that the reflective lines are mostly down the sides and on
the arms, with just a small line of reflective zip across the back.

Aldi winter cycling specials next week wafflycat UK 2 September 23rd 05 06:44 AM
Fixed gear and Broken Spokes [email protected] Techniques 10 March 19th 05 09:06 AM
bike gear Tom Rides 10 January 19th 05 12:35 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 July 27th 03 08:23 PM