Bicycle Routes on Google Earth

Old May 20th 06, 04:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Bicycle Routes on Google Earth

Has anyone used Google Earth to describe and share bicycle routes?
Linked it back to web pages?

Apparently you need to subscribe to the $US20pa version to draw routes.

I would like to find out what was possible and the limitations before
committing hours of work to something.

Sadly, FOSS doesn't seem to have delivered a workable solution to roll
your own.
Old May 20th 06, 07:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

This guy has done it
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

The interface ****s me a bit, and it's not bike-centric, so I'm rolling
my own - right now in fact!

Hopefully have something ready late next week, I'll be sure to spam
y'all about it ;-)

Jules
Old May 20th 06, 09:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Jules wrote:
This guy has done it
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

The interface ****s me a bit, and it's not bike-centric, so I'm rolling
my own - right now in fact!

Interesting. Yes, I agree about creating routes in that. The
instructions are ****e and I found that I really was looking for a node
editing capacity.

What I am looking at is the network link that Google Earth where you can
define a route and GE provides distance, elevation, etc, but the network
link provides a description and other information.

I know this sort of stuff is supposed to be the ultimate goal of GE, but
I think it is going to be a few generations before you can safely
bicycle tour with a satellite link back to GE to guide you.

Hopefully have something ready late next week, I'll be sure to spam
y'all about it ;-)

Thanks.

Jules

Old May 20th 06, 09:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Interesting. Yes, I agree about creating routes in that. The
instructions are ****e and I found that I really was looking for a node
editing capacity.

Absolutely... just got the editing bit mostly working half an hour ago
and have called it quits for today ;-)
Old May 20th 06, 11:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

My commute:

' http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191669'
(%20http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191669)

I had a fair idea (now confirmed!) that it was (on average) more
downhill into the city.

For some reason the elevation doesn't always load. The satellite
images are pretty poor out where I live, but at least the roads are
accurate and the distance matches up with the bike computer.

--
roshea

Old May 20th 06, 02:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle

roshea wrote:
My commute:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191669

Groovy... here's my recently settled-on one.. very similar distance.
many zags & zigs.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191969

Old May 20th 06, 03:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle

(http://%20http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191669)

I had a fair idea (now confirmed!) that it was (on average) more
downhill into the city.

For some reason the elevation doesn't always load. The satellite
images are pretty poor out where I live, but at least the roads are
accurate and the distance matches up with the bike computer.If you click on MAP now on Google Maps you'll find that all of Australia

is now mapped.

--
Treadly

Bicycle Rides on Google Earth. Terry Collins Rides 10 May 30th 06 03:19 AM
Bicycle is king of the road as gas costs rise cfsmtb Australia 14 May 9th 06 12:35 AM
Top Gear Driving Song David Martin UK 38 June 1st 05 05:05 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 03:46 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM