Rt 1 Between Bridgeport and Darien, CT?

Old July 9th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Default Rt 1 Between Bridgeport and Darien, CT?

Great ride. I will provide some highlights as soon as I have some time.

"Papa Tom" wrote in message
Never cycled along the CT coast, so I'm very curious.

I recently shared my route between Bridgeport and Narragansett, RI with a
couple that was cycling from Florida to Maine. Apparently, they enjoyed
this part of their ride very much. If this piece of the puzzle works out,
I'll publish the whole route.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 6, 9:29 pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Assuming that you don't steer me down a route to hell!

That remains to be seen. Do you know anything about the areas I'll be
passing through? Having ridden the entire CT coastline from Bridgeport
Westerly, I'm aware that the neighborhoods change drastically and very
quickly. What does anyone know about the section bretween Bridgeport
and
Darien...besides the blight that is Bridgeport, of course.

I live on LI and have friends in Providence and Boston. I've done the
ferry route, but I always wondered about overland through CT. Never
cycled along the CT coast, so I'm very curious.

Old July 9th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Jul 9, 2:39 pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Great ride. I will provide some highlights as soon as I have some time.

Good to hear. Looking forward to the reading. Thanks.

Old July 10th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

OK. Here's the scoop on my latest Connecticut ride.

A couple of things I should mention first, though. First, my trip was taken
solely for the purpose of visiting family. Other than that, there wouldn't
be many reasons to ride to Darien, unless you just want to see some
beautiful homes and enjoy a peaceful ride. I'd suggest working this route
into a trip that ends somewhere else, as Darien can be very dead. I rode up
on a Saturday and passed through some very lively little towns. However,
when I returned via the same route on Sunday, the entire length of the trip
was a virtual ghost town. I guess it's the Blue Laws or something.

Second, I still don't have an odometer, so I can't provide distances.
However, I can tell you that this entire ride is only about 21 miles. You
won't want to end at my son's house, though, so your trip will be longer or
shorter. I end the cue sheet at Rt. 1 in Darien.

So here's the route from the Bridgeport Ferry Terminal:

Exit the terminal via Ferry Access Road. Go under RR tressel and make a
left onto Railroad Avenue in the direction of traffic. Follow RR Avenue
(bumpy road that passes mostly factories, tenement houses, and one nice
park) to its end. McDonald's on the right.

Turn left on Fairfield Avenue and proceed through a couple of fairly active
towns to a traffic circle. Follow signs to Route 1 South (Fairfield
Avenue).

Turn left on Pequot Road. Pass Southport Beach (snack bar open 7 days from
11am to 4pm). At end of beach, bear left onto Beachside Avenue

Continue on Beachside and turn right onto New Creek. This will enable you
to avoid a sizeable climb

Follow New Creek under RR tressel and turn left onto Greens Farms Road

Pass some nice houses and then a park on your left. At the end of this
road, you will connect again with Beachside Road. However, you need to bear
right and stay on Greens Farms Road, which becomes Bridge Street after a
long climb that parallels I-95.

Cross water on Bridge Street and turn left onto Riverside Ave. On the right
day at the tight time, you will look to your right and see dozens of
bicyclists stopped at Doc's Cafe, a bicycle-friendly joint with outdoor
tables.

Go under 95 and make right onto Charles St/Park St (Rt.136)

At fork, go left on Park.

Bear left onto Sagatauk Ave (becomes Winfield St)

Continue to East Ave (E. Norwalk train station on right)

Left on East Avenue to Van Zant Street

Right on Van Zant and go approximately ½ mile to Ft. Point Street/Washington
St

Left on Fort Point to Flax Hill Road

Left on Flax Hill Road (becomes Old Kings Hwy) and continue to Rt. 1

Left on Rt. 1 and go wherever you want to go from here!

This ride starts out in a slummy-looking area, but gets gradually nicer, at
one point taking you past some of the most magnificent estates I've ever
seen. Look for the giant eraser on some guy's lawn in one of the towns.
It's the one on a wheel with a brush at the end. If you're old enough,
you'll remember those from elementary school. I suppose this guy invented
it.

There are plenty of places to stop for refreshments/food along the way. I
caught one bike shop, Breaking Away Bicycles at 1150 Post Road (Rt. 1) in
Fairfield. There may have been others, but I decided to stop being a
journalist and start enjoying my ride somewhere along the way!

Anyway, that's it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. My
next ride is a shorty from Darien to Bridgeport that will give me bragging
rights to having covered the entire Connecticut shoreline. Whoop De Doo....

Old July 20th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

This screams out for a Google Earth route for all of us lazy *******s.
It would cement your place in the Good Guy Hall of Fame and you would be
referred to reverently in years to come as others searched for just such
a bypass route.

So why isn't anyone showering me with accolades? And where is my invitation
to the Good Guy Hall of Fame Induction Dinner?

Old July 20th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Jul 20, 5:23 pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
This screams out for a Google Earth route for all of us lazy *******s.
It would cement your place in the Good Guy Hall of Fame and you would be
referred to reverently in years to come as others searched for just such
a bypass route.

So why isn't anyone showering me with accolades? And where is my invitation
to the Good Guy Hall of Fame Induction Dinner?

Oh, damn. We were wondering why you didn't show up! I guess the
invitation got lost in the mail. I'm also a bit surprised you didn't
hear me doff my hat three times. It's a big hat and makes a lot of
noise when doffed.

Truth be told I haven't yet checked out the route on Google. For all
I know Hell does indeed wait for me down the primrose path you have
laid out!

In all seriousness, thanks for the effort. The riding is the easy
part, I know, it's getting the stuff written down that takes the
gumption. Thanks again.

BTW, next GGHoF dinner is at your house. No generic booze - top
shelf only. It may become a weekly - or seven times weekly - event if
the booze and food are up to snuff and you don't call the cops.