now can I swap a sora triple crankset for a double?

Old May 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
conrad

Default now can I swap a sora triple crankset for a double?

conrad wrote:

Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple

crankset,
not a double, but...

Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple?

Same
BB?

As Sheldon has pointed out regarding other road triple
shifters, they do doubles equally well.

Shimano's current Sora crank is a normal square spindle.
The current 105 is a spline pattern, so, no you cannot .

Why would you make that change? The two cranks are not
markedly different in use. If you're seeking status while
keeping that gearing, the Veloce triple with matching BB is
cheaper than the 105 crank alone.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Thanks to all for taking time to reply. This newsgroup was quite helpful,
and I got a lot fewer smart-aleck replies than I expected!

The full story on this:

As you can guess, my bike was not expensive, but I am slow (riding a lot of
hours, not a lot of kilometers), and am definitely not seeking status, just
something that works safely and won't devastate me if it's stolen.

The bike has Sora triple shifters on the handlebars and Tiagra derailleurs.
However, it doesn't really have a Sora triple crankset, but rather a no-name
that is so warped that the chain tends to hop off. I bought the bike new,
and took it back to the shop several
times, but the owner kept telling me "tough".

There are no hills where I live, and I'd just prefer a 38x52 or 39x53 double
instead of the triple, as that was what I was used to for a long time.

As for asking about the 105, I'm finding that new Sora cranksets are hard to
find; I guess they're just an OEM thing that isn't intended to be in the
aftermarket. But I can find 105s.

So now my real question is, assuming I can find a (non-warped) Sora double,
can I put it on my existing BB, set the limit screws on the front derailleur
to prevent accidentally throwing the chain off, stick with my existing Sora
triple shifters, and ride away? Sounds like you're telling me "Yes".

thanks

conrad

Old May 22nd 04, 06:57 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:14:14 -0500, "conrad"
wrote:
However, it doesn't really have a Sora triple crankset, but rather a no-name
that is so warped that the chain tends to hop off. I bought the bike new,
and took it back to the shop several
times, but the owner kept telling me "tough".

Please tell us what store that was. You'll be doing a service to the
readers of this newsgroup, and others searching groups.google.com.

So now my real question is, assuming I can find a (non-warped) Sora double,
can I put it on my existing BB, set the limit screws on the front derailleur
to prevent accidentally throwing the chain off, stick with my existing Sora
triple shifters, and ride away? Sounds like you're telling me "Yes".

Yup.
--
Rick Onanian

Old May 22nd 04, 07:50 PM
Jeff Starr

"conrad" wrote in message ...
conrad wrote:

Th

So now my real question is, assuming I can find a (non-warped) Sora double,
can I put it on my existing BB, set the limit screws on the front derailleur
to prevent accidentally throwing the chain off, stick with my existing Sora
triple shifters, and ride away? Sounds like you're telling me "Yes".

thanks

conrad

Hi Conrad, a Sora double crankset is easy to find, check out Nashbar,
it's even on sale.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old May 23rd 04, 07:06 AM
ZeeExSixAre

Hi Conrad, a Sora double crankset is easy to find, check out Nashbar,
it's even on sale.

Everything is on sale. Mark prices up 20% from what you were planning on
selling it for, and then say it's on sale... easy tactic to lure buyers.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 23rd 04, 04:02 PM
Jeff Starr

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote in message ...
Hi Conrad, a Sora double crankset is easy to find, check out Nashbar,
it's even on sale.

Everything is on sale. Mark prices up 20% from what you were planning on
selling it for, and then say it's on sale... easy tactic to lure buyers.

Hi, whether or not that is the case, and I think it is an exageration,
the only price listed that matters, is the one you have to pay. If the
OP is doing his own install, then buying online will probably save him
a few bucks. Before I was willing to do my own labor, I had a Sora
Double crankset installed on my old road bike. As I recall, I also got
a new headset and aero brake levers, at that time. The LBS charged me
$65 for the Sora crank. So $47.95, plus $6.20 in shipping, is a
worthwhile savings. Actually a new bottom bracket should be included
in that purchase.
Before buying from Nashbar, the purchaser should do a search for the
current discount code, which is, I believe woth 10%. Look at that
$47.95 - 4.79 = $43.16, even better.

Now, with the sale and discount, it would be a good time to buy that
starter tool kit -
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I have one and it is quite useful. For anyone just getting started,
doing their own bike repair and maintenance, it is hard to beat. Get a
decent cable/housing cutter and you have the basics, pretty much
covered.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old May 23rd 04, 10:06 PM
tooly

"Jeff Starr" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hey Jeff, you seem helpful here.
I've been riding for many years but never made much connection with
others that I might recieve good information on bike maint and repair.
What always seem formidable to me was matching proper sizes and
threadings in the proper ways to specific parts for a specific bike.
I don't have a lot of resources for error.

Anyway, you speak about starter kits and such; might you give any
advice to someone like myself who wants to be more self reliant
in doing own repairs and able to piecemeal that 'perfect' bike
together over time (from frame up). You know, books and
resources that bike shop tekkies and insiders might use? Or is
it just something that experience can teach? thnx