presta to schraeder

Old January 25th 04, 07:37 AM
Russell King

Default presta to schraeder

I was recently given some tubes with presta valves. The rims have
holes big enough for the schraeder value. Is there an adapter or any
tricks that will allow the use of presta valved tubes in theses rims.

thanks
Old January 25th 04, 08:59 AM
John Doe

"Russell King" wrote in message
I was recently given some tubes with presta valves. The rims have
holes big enough for the schraeder value. Is there an adapter or any
tricks that will allow the use of presta valved tubes in theses rims.

thanks

The screw nut on the outside of the presta is enough to hold it in. I have
never had any trouble putting prestas into these type of Rims. If you are
worried they are too big you could put another nut on the inside of the rim.

Peter

Old January 27th 04, 08:34 AM
Sting

Russell,

I know there are rubber "grommets" that fit into the rim holes that shrink
it to a Presta valve size. At least this is the case with my Mavic rims.

If you can't find any (expensive) OEM ones, you could probably just go to
your local Bunnings and pick up a pack of appropriately sized ones for a
couple of bucks.

Sting

Old January 28th 04, 07:55 AM
Andrew Swan

Southern Flyer wrote:
there are also metal adapters - have 2 myself ;-)

Are you talking about the ones that screw onto the valves, so you can
use a Schrader pump on a Presta tube? The OP was looking for a way to
fit a Presta tube into a Schrader rim, given that the hole in the rim is
too big.

Anyway, what use are those valve adapters if servo air hoses don't go up
to 100 psi or so?

&roo

Old January 31st 04, 06:39 AM
Southern Flyer

No, I mean a metal grommet that fits the presta valve snugly into a shraeder rim hole. I
can actually read!

As I am coming from the USA perspective and products available there, it is possible such
advanced technology is not available locally here in Oz G

Since I already have my grommets I have had no occassion to look for more.

SF