Unable to Tighten Threadless Headset

Old November 26th 04, 07:44 PM
Sid

Thanks everyone for all the advise. This post is interesting to me because
I don't think I have a star fangled nut. At least it doesn't look like any
of the pictures I have seen of one. So I guess I have a plug and this is
the first I have heard of a plug. If I take the top cap off, then I am
seeing a small pipe looking setup and inside the pipe is a bolt with a hex
head. I have never turned that bolt. This whole setup must be the "plug".
Can I loosen this bolt and push the plug back down some?

By the way, I always loosen the stem completely before I adjust the headset
by tightening the top cap.

Sid

"Robin Hubert" wrote in message
om...
"Sid" wrote in message
I have a 2+ year old Fuji with a threadless headset (FSA brand). This is
my
first threadless and I have never taken it apart so I am not real clear
what
is happening with my bike.

The Problem: Every few weeks I check the adjustment of the headset by
locking the front brakes and gently rocking the bike. If I feel any
play,
then I tightened the headset. Seems like about every other time I
checked
it, I have had to tighten the headset. Today I checked it and felt play,
but when I went to tighten the headset it would not tighten any further.
It
seems like it had run out of threads or something.

What's going on and how do I correct the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Is your fork all carbon (carbon steerer)? What kind of top cap fixing
device is there (star nut or plug)?

As JB says, it's one of the two things he mentioned or possibly an
improperly secured plug, which could actually be moving upward. I've
never seen a star nut move upward without excessive force. Are you
loosening your stem (adequately) when you attempt to adjust the
headset?

Robin Hubert

Old November 27th 04, 09:11 AM
Francesco Devittori

Sid wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the advise. This post is interesting to me because
I don't think I have a star fangled nut. At least it doesn't look like any
of the pictures I have seen of one. So I guess I have a plug and this is
the first I have heard of a plug. If I take the top cap off, then I am
seeing a small pipe looking setup and inside the pipe is a bolt with a hex
head. I have never turned that bolt. This whole setup must be the "plug".
Can I loosen this bolt and push the plug back down some?

By the way, I always loosen the stem completely before I adjust the headset
by tightening the top cap.

Sid

"Robin Hubert" wrote in message
om...

"Sid" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Why do you have to tighten it every few weeks? IMHO this is not normal,
there should be a problem somewhere.

Francesco